In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

SunShine01

2002 Avalanche Z71 4WD Issue

Checking to see if I can get some help/advice.

I have a 1500 Avalanche 2002 model Z71 4WD.

Last week I noticed the light that indicates it is in 2WD was not illuminated. Just thought maybe a bulb ?

This week, before driving thru some deep water and mud, I dropped her into 4WD Lo.

It seemed to like go half way but didn’t lock in 4WD. The Service 4WD dashboard light illuminated.

She felt like she was in low gear, but the front tires were not engaged. She became locked in low gear, but 2WD. I shifted down to 1ST gear and then to 2ND and it did shift so she wasn’t in crawl mode. I couldn’t not get her back into normal 2WD where she shifts normally.

I stopped and shut her off and did some work on one of my hunting stands. When I started her up, I held in the 2WD button in. She shifted into 2WD. I drove back to camp, where once there, I attempted 4WD again. Same luck, 2WD low gear only no 4WD engagement. Again couldn’t shift her out and back to 2WD, even trying to clear her out by going in reverse.

I parked her. Bringing a mechanic to camp tomorrow morning.

Can anyone give me some kinda area where to look ? Will a code tool help find my area ? What sensor can be the culprit ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transfer case motor is weak,slow in response

Transfer case motor is weak,slow in response

My guy says the switch isn’t getting any power.

Gotta bring a volt gauge. Thanks for the help. To be continued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk