In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Jeff53

Tire/Wheel PSI

Hello. New member here. I'll be picking up my new-to-me 2006 Silverado CC 3500 DRW Wednesday. It's a one-owner with 97,000 miles on it. It's an LLY (from what I've been reading, the same engine as the LBZ from that year with a slightly different tune). I'm really looking forward to it. Anyway, I noticed something odd. It has a few aftermarket parts on it, one of which is the wheels. They're aluminum. I was looking at the front wheels and noticed that they're stamped 60 PSI. It has 80 PSI max Firestone tires on it. Since I'll be towing with it (I don't know what the previous owner used it for), should I consider swapping out these wheels for the stock steel ones? I'm a little concerned that the wheels are marked 60 PSI while the tires on them are 80 and, for towing, I'll likely be running closer to the max tire inflation than these wheels are rated for. Anyone run into this before?

If the wheels aren't rated to handle over 60psi, I would ditch them. They likely can't handle the max load or anywhere close to it either if that is all the psi they are allowed to run.

Get the information off the back side of the wheel. There is likely to be some sort of brand name and wheel spec that you could google to figure out what the specs are.

27 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

If the wheels aren't rated to handle over 60psi, I would ditch them. They likely can't handle the max load or anywhere close to it either if that is all the psi they are allowed to run.

Get the information off the back side of the wheel. There is likely to be some sort of brand name and wheel spec that you could google to figure out what the specs are.

Yeah, I'll pull them after I get it and check them out. I was just a bit surprised to see that 60 PSI stamped on the wheels. I'm also surprised that the installer would mount load range E tires on them. I guess I'll start looking for some OEM steelies

2 hours ago, Jeff53 said:

...I was looking at the front wheels and noticed that they're stamped 60 PSI. It has 80 PSI max Firestone tires on it. Since I'll be towing with it (I don't know what the previous owner used it for), should I consider swapping out these wheels for the stock steel ones? I'm a little concerned that the wheels are marked 60 PSI while the tires on them are 80 and, for towing, I'll likely be running closer to the max tire inflation than these wheels are rated for. Anyone run into this before?

60 PSI gives you a load rating of 2,760 pounds per tire.  Does double this number exceed your rear axle's weight rating?  If so, you can rest easy and leave it alone.

OK, after doing some more research online, I've found out that the 60 PSI rating stamped on the wheel is for the tire tech. It's the pressure you should not exceed to set the bead on the rim. It's not related to how much pressure the wheel can withstand.

• Like 1