gas vs diesel operating cost and mpg

I think what often gets left out of these type of debates is resale.  Yes, the diesel costs $10K more new...but have you looked at used diesel prices?  They HOLD their value, so your used diesel is likely worth $8K+ more than the same gas truck, so the diesel cost you $2K net.  I agree diesel is not the best for every application, but it is not as expensive as some gas-lovers would have you believe. 

You pay $10000 more for the diesel and it resales for $6000 more than gas . Look it up on Nada. So you lose an additional $4000 of depreciation by getting the diesel . I don’t know real numbers on mileage yet about the 2020 diesel but from what I gathered it’s averaging 16.5mpg . I’ve seen multiple tanks above 16 a few 15+ one 14.5 in my 2020 gas . No straight highway tanks. My total average is 15.2 after 2500 miles including towing a TT and Offshore boat. If anything you may lose more money on fuel costs and definitely on maintenance. If you want the diesel then it maybe worth it to you . All I can say is losing money is losing money to me and the gas will tow everything I own and plan on towing without a problem . FYI it’s definitely cheaper to drive than my 09 duramax and more pleasant to drive 

Edited by Carolina
  • Like 4

.they have gotten a little bit queiter but I am just not a fan of diesels....you know that motor doesn't cost anywhere near 10k....they charge full retail with no credit......they buy them in bulk and with the credit for gas engine I could see maybe a 5k upcharge for diesel option.....ill never need one but sucks for guys that do and understand the need for them and for the people that it benefits.....but yeah just not a fan of them at all....

be nice if they had a few gas options but sure that wont happen.....like the old 454 they used to have but modern version of course  like I hear ford is doing a 7 liter....MPG is important but a lot less to truck owners....shit, drove my 4.7L tundra for 15 years and got like 12 mpg so anything above that I am winning, lol

Edited by Dunn

10 hours ago, Dunn said:

.they have gotten a little bit queiter but I am just not a fan of diesels....you know that motor doesn't cost anywhere near 10k....they charge full retail with no credit......they buy them in bulk and with the credit for gas engine I could see maybe a 5k upcharge for diesel option.....ill never need one but sucks for guys that do and understand the need for them and for the people that it benefits.....but yeah just not a fan of them at all....

be nice if they had a few gas options but sure that wont happen.....like the old 454 they used to have but modern version of course  like I hear ford is doing a 7 liter....MPG is important but a lot less to truck owners....shit, drove my 4.7L tundra for 15 years and got like 12 mpg so anything above that I am winning, lol

Yeah I use to have pos Toyota that’s supposed to be magical with gas but somehow my HD gets better mpg and can tow 2 1/2 times the weight

I have a 2020 HC diesel as well as two 2020 Gas HD’s for my business.  The diesel tows much better and I personally prefer driving it.  That said, a 10spd with the new 6.6 gas ‘might’ have me thinking gas for my personal truck next time around.

its a $2495 upgrade to 6.2l from whatever is stock (tranny and diff also are different)…..just seems way high to me though ill never need one

15 hours ago, Dunn said:

its a $2495 upgrade to 6.2l from whatever is stock (tranny and diff also are different)…..just seems way high to me though ill never need one

Talking HD’s here, 6.2 is not an HD option.

• 1 month later...
Diesel and gas h.d. trucks depreciate at simiar rates. In fact according g to edmunds,  nada, etc. Gas depreciates slightly less than diesel does. The relative few good quality gassers in the used market may be a contributing factor.
I disagree, I always find the diesels sell for way more than the gas on the used market.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

They cost way more.  On a percentage basis from purchase price to resale gas h d. Trucks do very well.
All I know, is used, lifted diesels, 2019 and 2020 were running in the $80k range, anytime I found one that was unusually cheaper than the rest it was gas. The additional cost of a used diesel is what kept me from buying one all these years, as I only wanted it for mall crawling lol.

4 hours ago, rongotti said:

All I know, is used, lifted diesels, 2019 and 2020 were running in the $80k range, anytime I found one that was unusually cheaper than the rest it was gas. The additional cost of a used diesel is what kept me from buying one all these years, as I only wanted it for mall crawling lol.

You are missing the meat of this conversation and you can disagree all you want but the factual data is real. If you buy two identically equipped trucks, one with the gas and one with the diesel, drive them the same miles and then sell them. The gas will sell for a larger percentage of the original msrp. As an example look up a 2017 denali with 40000 miles on KBB or NADA. Price it with gas then Diesel and you’ll see that they are about 6k different in price. When purchased new those two trucks are 10k different. So you’ll loose 4K more than the gas version. 

Now if you want the talk about all the Bro trucks out there with the lift and wheels, most all of those are diesels and most all of those trucks are ridiculously overpriced because the only people buying them are not able to afford the modifications without adding it into a loan that they also can’t afford.  

Edited by Pastusak.t

You are missing the meat of this conversation and you can disagree all you want but the factual data is real. If you buy two identically equipped trucks, one with the gas and one with the diesel, drive them the same miles and then sell them. The gas will sell for a larger percentage of the original msrp. As an example look up a 2017 denali with 40000 miles on KBB or NADA. Price it with gas then Diesel and you’ll see that they are about 6k different in price. When purchased new those two trucks are 10k different. So you’ll loose 4K more than the gas version. 

Now if you want the talk about all the Bro trucks out there with the lift and wheels, most all of those are diesels and most all of those trucks are ridiculously overpriced because the only people buying them are not able to afford the modifications without adding it into a loan that they also can’t afford.  
Heard! Are all these bro-trucks driven by the thugs I hear about on Fox News?