Help W/ relocating camera port from bumper to bed for 5th wheel,

32 minutes ago, Rooftop Special said:

I'm looking to make an adapter so I can use my existing camera on my 5th wheel. It utilizes this type cable:

https://www.amazon.com/EKYLIN-Extension-Motorhome-Waterproof-Shockproof/dp/B06ZXX8YJH/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=4+pin+camera+cable&qid=1602520743&sr=8-3

Looking to go from the male version of the above to whatever connection is required for the plug on the bumper. I know people are using fakra connectors to extend the plug into the bed but I'm not sure a fakra is what's needed to plug into "outlet" on the bumper. The plug(s) on the bumper appear to have a larger center pin than what a fakra does. I've looked at everyone's photos but no one is actually showing the end of the camera cable that would actually plug into the truck. Hopefully I'm making sense?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Casey

Female plug on trailer.jpg

Truck Plug.jpg

What I have found all plugs are fakra. It may appear different but they are. The fakra is a coax cable and not a stranded cable that you have in you assembly. 

Chuck.

Thank you Chuck for the quick reply. So the end circled in the picture will plug into the connector on the bumper? Additionally do you or anyone know if they make an adapter for what I'm trying to do? I believe only two of the 4 wires in my connector are used (power & video)

Fakra.jpg

Edited by Rooftop Special

36 minutes ago, Rooftop Special said:

Thank you Chuck for the quick reply. So the end circled in the picture will plug into the connector on the bumper? Additionally do you or anyone know if they make an adapter for what I'm trying to do? I believe only two of the 4 wires in my connector are used (power & video)

Fakra.jpg

I have just ordered a extension cable from Pasterneck. 

I have a link to a lot of photos from my camera cable from GM. Here is the link.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/d2UVb4djaqf3ashL9

The very last photo taken today is the cable end that plugs into the truck.

Chuck

4 hours ago, Gecko50 said:

I have just ordered a extension cable from Pasterneck. 

I have a link to a lot of photos from my camera cable from GM. Here is the link.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/d2UVb4djaqf3ashL9

The very last photo taken today is the cable end that plugs into the truck.

Chuck

Ok the extension cables I ordered came in. I opened the box and found the fakra plugs. The first thing I did was to plug the new cable into the GM camera end. I disassembled the camera with 2 torx screws on the plastic ball. I noticed the GM connector has a longer plastic housing than the new connector. It does lock into the camera. The new cable did not have a rubber seal inside the connector. I'll pack the connector with dielectric grease solving that problem. I also applied 1 coating of electrical self vulcanized tape followed 1 layer of scotch 33+. This built up the new cable od to be secured on the camera ball. Also the cable if exposed will need a corrugated outer sheathing. My cable is inside a EMT metal tube ( elec conduit). I did try the assembly on my truck and it operated like there was no extension. Follow the link and there is pictures. The lowest row is todays photos.

Edited by Gecko50

Chuck,

Thank you for the detailed photos. Can you tell me if the fakra female end on your extension will connect to the truck connector? I know that's not how you're using it but I'm trying to see if it will work so I can get an adapter made. It just looks like the plug on the truck center pin is larger than that of a fakra male connector.

Thanks,

Casey

8 hours ago, Rooftop Special said:

Chuck,

Thank you for the detailed photos. Can you tell me if the fakra female end on your extension will connect to the truck connector? I know that's not how you're using it but I'm trying to see if it will work so I can get an adapter made. It just looks like the plug on the truck center pin is larger than that of a fakra male connector.

Thanks,

Casey

Casey no it will not fit the truck end. I looked closer and did notice the truck end is considerably larger. In my quest I tried to preserve the large robust GM cable end at the bed connector. BUT maybe you can connect to the smaller fakra connector in back of the bed plug assembly. That may be easier. I would also suggest you contact Pasterneck, Derek in sales and talk to their "Tech" support. Maybe they can assist you possible to a better set up. 

Chuck

Extension cable.          Just wanted to clarify, the extension cable you had made connects to the GM supplied cable and the connects to the truck or camera to make the supplied cable longer correct? I just called them and they were not familiar with the extension cable. I have not purchased the kit due to the cable length concern as I have a 45' toy hauler. If you did get the extension cable as i understand I assume I could use your photos to have one made.

Thank you

Andy

16 minutes ago, Andrew Best said:

Extension cable.          Just wanted to clarify, the extension cable you had made connects to the GM supplied cable and the connects to the truck or camera to make the supplied cable longer correct? I just called them and they were not familiar with the extension cable. I have not purchased the kit due to the cable length concern as I have a 45' toy hauler. If you did get the extension cable as i understand I assume I could use your photos to have one made.

Thank you

Andy

Ok first question.

1) I took the camera apart. By that I used a torx screw driver and removed the 2 recessed screws in the plastic ball. That exposed the camera. I removed the cable from the camera as it has a push tab to unlock the cable from the camera. 

2) I contacted Pasterneck and talked to Derek in sales. He is fully aware that we GM camera users are looking for a extension cable. (My extension was 20 feet).

I have a link to my Google photos you can see. The bottom last row is the new cable and the camera.

3) you WILL have to add some type of sheathing to protect the COAX cable as it IS about 1/8 inch and cannot or WILL NOT take much abuse.

4) The new extension coax cable will have a male / female connectors the will connect to each end of the existing cable of the camera end. 

5) Be advised you WILL have to add electrical vulcanized tape and scotch 33+ about 1 layer of each type.

6) I thought you talked to me yesterday or the day earlier?

Any more questions please let me know. Look at my photo link.

One last thing the truck end I did NOT want to change as it is a good strong product, and I am not aware of and connector made.

Good Luck

Chuck

Edited by Gecko50

Thank you very much for your time! I think I understand your process now. I have not asked this question for awhile. I will call and ask for Derrick and see if he can help me out. 

Did you also relocate your plug inside your truck bed?

Thanks again

Andy

51 minutes ago, Andrew Best said:

Thank you very much for your time! I think I understand your process now. I have not asked this question for awhile. I will call and ask for Derrick and see if he can help me out. 

Did you also relocate your plug inside your truck bed?

Thanks again

Andy

Yes I also got the cable from Derek and moved the plug from the bumper to the bed. 

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 6:13 AM, pegasus said:

What GM should have done is eliminate the 4 pin connector in the bed and installed the camera ports there also.  If you can have two 7 pin connectors you surely can have two camera ports.  Most of us have a 7-4 pin adapter plug to solve that problem.

Solves the problem for 5th wheel and bumper pull also.

What they should have done was to create and accessory option that would provide a T connector for the camera cables and sell it with an addition plug for the bed that you can remove the 7 and four connection and put two of the 7 and camera port plugs in the bed to keep the option also in the bumper. That would also keep the marketing and the revenue with GM instead of going to a 3rd party. This was great work Larry I have also ordered a set of the cables from the same site. You should contact them and request a commission for advertisement 

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Reddingbob said:

Chuck, were you able to put the 4 way in the bumper, where the camera plugs were ?

I relocated the bumper plug into the bed and I relocated the bed plug assembly on to the bumper, that moved the 4 pin plug down to the bumper and the Video plug into the bed. Just make sure your cable is 4 feet long each. I also did clean the spray bed liner to get the bed plug into the opening. But I found that you would do ok if you just use a long screwdriver, I mean really long (I have a craftsman) then slide it up to the plug assembly to open the spring clip. Then I used a cotter pin awl that had a 90* end (From Harbor Freight) to pull the bumper end of the stainless clip and secure the camera / 7 pin plug assembly. Kinda a head ache but well worth it. 

Click this link, it shows the plugs and the bed also the cable pictures I made. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPv-Xp4jhJfYTVGM2PXhqWKkTv4WtlY7Isfq4kOtphOarPXnqNmWJitQjuMQ9_77A?key=U25BZUdzLVR1Q1BUNlk4MkxUTkpfOFh5U2NycjdB

Good Luck

Chuck

Edited by Gecko50

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone that's had a part in this thread, I love your commitment, determination and dedication to get this issue solved.  I just have a question to pose about my application.  I have the 2020 GMC 3500 Denali, I pull both a 5th wheel and a bumper pull on occasion also. I figured I would pick everyone's brain as to how I could accomplish having the camera receptacle wired to the bed but keeping the bumper camera receptacle. 

Thanks in advance!