Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

ILSilverado

I Love My 3.0L Diesel BUT!!!

Recommended Posts

No one ever told me I was going to have to put up with that noxious smell and fumes in the cabin when it goes through the exhaust cleaning cycle every 300 miles. This can’t be good to breathe in.

Edited by ILSilverado
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ILSilverado said:

No one ever told me I was going to have to put up with that noxious smell in the cabin when it goes through the exhaust cleaning cycle every 300 miles. This can’t be good to breathe in.

If you have that after more than a couple regen cycles then it must have a leak, and needs to be repaired. 

 

(First few it could be when the extra heat is burning off oil/grease/overspray of the outside of the exhaust.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only smelled mine a couple of times and then with window down, this was in the first couple of weeks after getting it. Pretty much seemless when it does it now, may notice some fluctuation in rpms and a slightly different exhaust sound, notice very little smell and then only with window down or when stopping and getting out. For the most part I don't even notice it. Very happy with it so far. 2600 miles in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smelled my truck for the first few thousand with the windows down then it cleared up. I think it was just burn off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting, I have never smelled mine on my 2014 Cruze diesel.  That can't be good and I would get it checked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed I will make an appointment and have it looked at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a way to manually activate a regen cycle without the use of something aftermarket?

Would be nice to do when I know ill be driving at a constant speed for over 30 min

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chrisd534 said:

Is there a way to manually activate a regen cycle without the use of something aftermarket?

Would be nice to do when I know ill be driving at a constant speed for over 30 min

No.

 

You will also likely never see the 'continue driving' message. 

 

Regen cycle can be spread over multiple trips.  If interrupted it will resume.  (as opposed to starting over)

It should only give the message if it is unsuccessful at reducing the soot level after multiple attempts .

(I believe the programming actually gives the message at some soot level higher than the level that the regen normally begins --- so even a partial regens can prevent this from happening.)

 

LML regen was about 30 minutes, assuming it was warmed when it started.

L5P regen is closer to 20 minutes, but they happen more frequently.

Not sure I've heard what the typical LM2 regen time/frequency are -- but it would seem likely that the logic used for interruptions will be the same. 

 

My LML was used mostly in short trip (rural) service. Most trips were not long enough to warm the system and complete a regen cycle, so multi trip regens were the norm.  It did not need to give a 'keep driving' in the 5 years I ran it. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, redwngr said:

No.

 

You will also likely never see the 'continue driving' message. 

 

Regen cycle can be spread over multiple trips.  If interrupted it will resume.  (as opposed to starting over)

It should only give the message if it is unsuccessful at reducing the soot level after multiple attempts .

(I believe the programming actually gives the message at some soot level higher than the level that the regen normally begins --- so even a partial regens can prevent this from happening.)

 

LML regen was about 30 minutes, assuming it was warmed when it started.

L5P regen is closer to 20 minutes, but they happen more frequently.

Not sure I've heard what the typical LM2 regen time/frequency are -- but it would seem likely that the logic used for interruptions will be the same. 

 

My LML was used mostly in short trip (rural) service. Most trips were not long enough to warm the system and complete a regen cycle, so multi trip regens were the norm.  It did not need to give a 'keep driving' in the 5 years I ran it. 

 

 

Thanks for the info! Just worried worst case one day i'll be in a rush for something and ill receive that message

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, redwngr said:

No.

 

You will also likely never see the 'continue driving' message. 

 

Regen cycle can be spread over multiple trips.  If interrupted it will resume.  (as opposed to starting over)

It should only give the message if it is unsuccessful at reducing the soot level after multiple attempts .

(I believe the programming actually gives the message at some soot level higher than the level that the regen normally begins --- so even a partial regens can prevent this from happening.)

 

LML regen was about 30 minutes, assuming it was warmed when it started.

L5P regen is closer to 20 minutes, but they happen more frequently.

Not sure I've heard what the typical LM2 regen time/frequency are -- but it would seem likely that the logic used for interruptions will be the same. 

 

My LML was used mostly in short trip (rural) service. Most trips were not long enough to warm the system and complete a regen cycle, so multi trip regens were the norm.  It did not need to give a 'keep driving' in the 5 years I ran it. 

 

 

This is good to hear/know! I have a low mile LML I'm keeping for any possible heavy towing. I have a LM2 on order to be a daily driver/service vehicle for my business to replace a gas car. There are some days that my stops are only a couple blocks apart which had me concerned for regens and engine temp but hopefully neither will be a problem... especially since it's really only two days out of a two week work cycle. It will be interesting to see how the cooling system design helps with faster warm up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even my little 4 cyl diesel takes 15 miles of hwy driving to complete a regen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Whipped500 said:

It will be interesting to see how the cooling system design helps with faster warm up.

If you are going to be doing short stop and go trips it is never going to get up to full operating temp. If you have drove enough to get it up to temp it will slowly drop off with that kind of driving. Mine can be up to temp and I can let it idle for 15-20 min. and temp gauge will be between 160 - 180

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow, I had no idea these things did this...….kind of annoying

 

do big diesels in HD trucks do it too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dunn said:

wow, I had no idea these things did this...….kind of annoying

 

do big diesels in HD trucks do it too?

Yes

Look for white puffs of smoke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dunn said:

wow, I had no idea these things did this...….kind of annoying

 

do big diesels in HD trucks do it too?

All diesels being sold today have the exhaust filter and do the regeneration to burn out the soot.

 

Off road equipment and large highway trucks included. 

 

 

They also used DEF for NOx reduction.

 

 

 

Edited by redwngr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.