Gm to Ford?

RE1

Cross-shopping all the brands for next truck. 

Was considering a Ford F-250 with the new 7.3L gas engine. Saw this gem this morning. 

Ford? Nope. The QC coming out of that place is scary. Really, both Ford and GM are very disappointing. 

9B4ACE04-2247-4F9D-9EBC-FD57B5919D15.jpeg

First kick at the OHV cat in a while. I expected this. Still could easily be a more reliable engine than an Ecotec3 as that is a manufacturing error and not a design flaw like our AFM lifters are. Would be pretty embarrassing for GM to have Ford put out a more reliable OHV engine after they have been making them for 70 years running. 

• Confused 1

Just painful to think about all of those brand new engines in all those brand new trucks being ripped apart at dealerships in order to inspect/repair this. I would be LIVID. 

Edited by RE1

1 hour ago, L86 All Terrain said:

First kick at the OHV cat in a while. I expected this. Still could easily be a more reliable engine than an Ecotec3 as that is a manufacturing error and not a design flaw like our AFM lifters are. Would be pretty embarrassing for GM to have Ford put out a more reliable OHV engine after they have been making them for 70 years running. 

In HD's there is no AFM/DOD?  Course expect issues with the 7.3L FERD I will take the 6.6GDI GM built HD engine hands down!

3 hours ago, RE1 said:

Cross-shopping all the brands for next truck. 

Was considering a Ford F-250 with the new 7.3L gas engine. Saw this gem this morning. 

Ford? Nope. The QC coming out of that place is scary. Really, both Ford and GM are very disappointing. 

9B4ACE04-2247-4F9D-9EBC-FD57B5919D15.jpeg

Have you driven the Dodge's, or Nissan's? 

No 3/4 in the Toyota line up, so will that be a choice?

1 hour ago, RE1 said:

Just painful to think about all of those brand new engines in all those brand new trucks being ripped apart at dealerships in order to inspect/repair this. I would be LIVID. 

Lived it, 2004-2006 Fords with those new-fangled diesels.  My customers were livid and several bought GMCs and dumped the Fords when they got them back.

1 hour ago, mookdoc6 said:

In HD's there is no AFM/DOD?  Course expect issues with the 7.3L FERD I will take the 6.6GDI GM built HD engine hands down!

I wasn't comparing it to the L8T, I am just saying it will probably turn out to be a more reliable pushrod engine than the Ecotec3's which would be damaging to GM's reputation as that is the reason many of us how stuck around so long, drivetrain dependability which is arguably gone now.

My point was this error was a manufacturing defect, and not a design defect. Their problem can be fixed, ours can not. I would also choose the L8T, but my point is that this is not a negative against the 7.3L mill not that it is better than GM's HD option, but it has the potential to be a better motor than GM's LT series with DOD. 

2 hours ago, RE1 said:

Toyota Tundras are looking better and better. 

Currently in a 2014 1500 GMC Sierra. I don’t need a 2500/250 but considered the F250 briefly. 

I'm waiting to see how the new tundra performs before I buy a new rig. Prob be in 2022 for the new tundra tho

2 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

I wasn't comparing it to the L8T, I am just saying it will probably turn out to be a more reliable pushrod engine than the Ecotec3's which would be damaging to GM's reputation as that is the reason many of us how stuck around so long, drivetrain dependability which is arguably gone now.

My point was this error was a manufacturing defect, and not a design defect. Their problem can be fixed, ours can not. I would also choose the L8T, but my point is that this is not a negative against the 7.3L mill not that it is better than GM's HD option, but it has the potential to be a better motor than GM's LT series with DOD. 

Gone? Because you see a few cases on the forums of failures? That is called making a mountain out of a mole hill. No design flaw, the system is extremely reliable and most everyone has not had an issue. Don't make it more than it is, as the iterations go on they get more and more reliable, this isn't 2007. I know you may have a skewed vision because of an issue happening to you but the failure rate is in the decimal percent. 

Tyler

• Like 1