Im on a boat take a look at me!

Lol,

Sorry for the Title.

Im looking for some advice. I just replaced stock rancho shocks all the way around with bilstein 5100s.

Now, When the shocks were still "breaking in" the ride was fantastic. Now, about 4,000 miles later, i'm rocking like a boat again in the front. Not nearly as bad considering how bad the OEM shocks were.

Here is an example of what was on the truck when I bought it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u-To7Nn0bE

Can anyone tell me what I can do to get a smoother ride? I will say its ALL highway miles-45 miles in Dallas daily (you can imagine what thats like)

I was looking at hellwig sway bars but would that help? My sway bar and bushings look brand new!

Lol,
Sorry for the Title.

Im looking for some advice. I just replaced stock rancho shocks all the way around with bilstein 5100s.
Now, When the shocks were still "breaking in" the ride was fantastic. Now, about 4,000 miles later, i'm rocking like a boat again in the front. Not nearly as bad considering how bad the OEM shocks were.
Here is an example of what was on the truck when I bought it:

Can anyone tell me what I can do to get a smoother ride? I will say its ALL highway miles-45 miles in Dallas daily (you can imagine what thats like)

I was looking at hellwig sway bars but would that help? My sway bar and bushings look brand new!

Full Information on your truck please. Also, are you saying you’ve got Bilsteins on now but you’re not happy with them cause your truck feels like a boat side to side?

Sent from Above

8 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Also add your tire make and size and post a pick of your truck while you’re at it

Sent from Above

Sure thing,

Im not saying im not happy im just notating that it was great while breaking in because the rocking back and forth was completely gone. The bilsteins are great from what I feel so far (Considering what I had, which was nothing) but im not sure if I should have looked for heavier duty or tighter based shocks OR if I should be focused elsewhere like the sway bar.

To give more info, I feel that the truck rocks back and forth ALOT more than other trucks around me while im driving. It is definitely noticeable.

2017 Sierra 6.2l

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 275/60R20

33-35 psi

bilstein 5100s all the way around-On highest ring to give a more level approach-No level kit

air ride tow air bags in the rear

Let me know if you need more

20190817_151157.jpg

Sure thing,
Im not saying im not happy im just notating that it was great while breaking in because the rocking back and forth was completely gone. The bilsteins are great from what I feel so far (Considering what I had, which was nothing) but im not sure if I should have looked for heavier duty or tighter based shocks OR if I should be focused elsewhere like the sway bar.

To give more info, I feel that the truck rocks back and forth ALOT more than other trucks around me while im driving. It is definitely noticeable.

2017 Sierra 6.2l
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 275/60R20
33-35 psi
bilstein 5100s all the way around-On highest ring to give a more level approach-No level kit
air ride tow air bags in the rear

Let me know if you need more

20190817_151157.thumb.jpg.7e400aacb3114ef927d4dac81fbb5182.jpg

Looks to me you’re leveled correct?
Are you leveled with Bilsteins or Spacers?
Did you get new upper control arms (UCA’s)?

Stock 20x9 wheels with 275/60/20’s DuraTracs?

Sent from Above

Just now, TXGREEK said:

Looks to me you’re leveled correct?
Are you leveled with Bilsteins or Spacers?
Did you get new upper control arms (UCA’s)?

Stock 20x9 wheels with 275/60/20’s DuraTracs?

Sent from Above

Yes Leveled

Leveled with Bilsteins only

No new UCA's, though, the left was changed and is brand new from dealer before I bought it.

Yes Stock? I believe the ones in the pick are stock. I did not change them.

Any rubbing with those 275/60/20's? I'm looking to get a set that size with a 1.5 inch level but based on the other posts on here it seems even a 275/60/20 will rub at full lock reverse even with a level because of those pesky stamped steel UCA's. 

10 minutes ago, reardiff said:

Any rubbing with those 275/60/20's? I'm looking to get a set that size with a 1.5 inch level but based on the other posts on here it seems even a 275/60/20 will rub at full lock reverse even with a level because of those pesky stamped steel UCA's. 

I've never experienced rubbing since I bought the truck and the tires were brand new when it was at the dealership!

32 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Ok, now that we’ve all got a pretty good picture of your setup, explain what the problem is?

Sent from Above

Let's say..going 70 mph on 35,

Hit a dip in the road, the truck drops a solid half foot and bounces up and down 3-4 times until leveling out in the front

1. Hurts like hell-the drop

2. Makes some people in my truck sick

3. Makes me feel like the truck needs more support in the front or something could be wrong? I'm not sure at this point.

Side to side is really not a big issue, 

Let's say..going 70 mph on 35,

Hit a dip in the road, the truck drops a solid half foot and bounces up and down 3-4 times until leveling out in the front
1. Hurts like hell-the drop
2. Makes some people in my truck sick
3. Makes me feel like the truck needs more support in the front or something could be wrong? I'm not sure at this point.

Side to side is really not a big issue, 

You mentioned something about having airbags in the rear, are they for towing purposes and were they already installed when you bought it?

Make sure they’re deflated to nothing less than 5 pounds so as not to get damaged but they shouldn’t be inflated unless you’re towing.

Did you buy the truck used or new, came with the Bilstein setup already or you had them installed and if you did have them installed, where ?

Sent from Above

7 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

You mentioned something about having airbags in the rear, are they for towing purposes and were they already installed when you bought it?

Make sure they’re deflated to nothing less than 5 pounds so as not to get damaged but they shouldn’t be inflated unless you’re towing.

Did you buy the truck used or new, came with the Bilstein setup already or you had them installed and if you did have them installed, where ?

Sent from Above

They were installed already

I will check the psi when I get home today. Im pretty sure they are at 0 again. I may consider moving to springs since I dont tow.

Truck came used, I installed them myself. When installing I did a check over to make sure nothing was wrong (as it would have been a perfect time to fix it)

Think I may prop it up this weekend and check everything out again including nuts and bolts.

I had my mechanic (friend who is a mechanic) drive it last night and he noted it "recovers well" so the Shocks don't seem to be an issue but he believes something may need to be tightened or something came loose, as we hang out quite a bit and he has been in the truck since the change over obviously.

They were installed already I will check the psi when I get home today. Im pretty sure they are at 0 again. I may consider moving to springs since I dont tow.

Truck came used, I installed them myself. When installing I did a check over to make sure nothing was wrong (as it would have been a perfect time to fix it)

Think I may prop it up this weekend and check everything out again including nuts and bolts.

I had my mechanic (friend who is a mechanic) drive it last night and he noted it "recovers well" so the Shocks don't seem to be an issue but he believes something may need to be tightened or something came loose, as we hang out quite a bit and he has been in the truck since the change over obviously.

So you’re not the original owner. Your airbags which as you’ve already stated most likely are empty. I’d look at your front Bilsteins, but as stated by another truckguy82, Bilsteins and your oem coils are not capable of handling you driving fast over dips, if that’s how you drive you may consider getting into a set of “coil overs” which are more equipped and tuned to handle that type of driving.

There are multiple manufacturers that make coil overs with a lift, 2-3” lift and are tuned for more aggressive driving. Right off the top of my head I’d immediately recommend King, CST but you’ll most likely be required to get new upper control arms too.

I’d highly recommend you go to a high end off road company that’s got experience, be honest and don’t leave out anything but I’m sure they’ll most likely tell you the same.

Your rear has added airbags and your front has leveling Bilstein 5100’s. Again, Bilsteins along with your stock oem springs are nowhere near capable of handling that sort of aggressive driving. Bilsteins are not OffRoad performance shocks, they’re designed for on road better handling.

Sent from Above

35 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

So you’re not the original owner. Your airbags which as you’ve already stated most likely are empty. I’d look at your front Bilsteins, but as stated by another truckguy82, Bilsteins and your oem coils are not capable of handling you driving fast over dips, if that’s how you drive you may consider getting into a set of “coil overs” which are more equipped and tuned to handle that type of driving.

There are multiple manufacturers that make coil overs with a lift, 2-3” lift and are tuned for more aggressive driving. Right off the top of my head I’d immediately recommend King, CST but you’ll most likely be required to get new upper control arms too.

I’d highly recommend you go to a high end off road company that’s got experience, be honest and don’t leave out anything but I’m sure they’ll most likely tell you the same.

Your rear has added airbags and your front has leveling Bilstein 5100’s. Again, Bilsteins along with your stock oem springs are nowhere near capable of handling that sort of aggressive driving. Bilsteins are not OffRoad performance shocks, they’re designed for on road better handling.

Sent from Above

2 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

I’m not sure the bilsteins were designed to handle 70mph dips in the road big enough to cause the shocks to compress 6”

It’s not a raptor

Makes sense- I will look into that. I need to be careful as to only level the truck with whatever I end up getting because I park in a parking garage for work and im already too close for comfort.

The main reason I felt there could be an issue is because I did not have this problem up until about a week ago. Everything was nice and stiff and even over the larger dip I gave as an example, It did not drop the truck 6 inches. more like 2...

I will check everything out and start looking at new coil overs. These Texas Highways suck where im at.