Apollo GT Series 3" 409 Stainless Steel Muffler Upgrade

Has anyone used the AFE muffler below? Feeling on it? By the time you can pay a muffler shop to install an aftermarket muffler, it looks like this may be a cheaper alternative?

6d36ea74efaf91a0a5ec1f7085c69ff5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Took the time this afternoon to get this on the truck. My thoughts:

1.) This replacement is very high quality and fits great. The only issue I had was I overtightened one of the Accu-Seal exhaust clamp and broke it, luckily it was the rear-most connection and there is plenty of 'overlap' in the pipes so I can drive until I get a replacement.

2.) This has a very deep exhaust note and louder at idle.... tried to get a video but all you could was the birds chirping in the background. I'll try again later and get a drive-by since the rear exit exhaust is hard to hear while driving. Factory muffler is about 29" long while the AFE muffler is a straight-through design and is 14" long. I left the front flapper in place and removed the rear flapper (still have factory resonators).

Where did you find this available? I keep checking in on the AFE website for my 5.3 l trailboss but just says coming soon!!! Thanks

I actually emailed AFE after finding pics of it on their website but I ordered from another vendor that had the cheapest price shipped.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2020 at 9:49 PM, curly said:

Nobody?

Put this on the other day.

Awesome at idle,  no drone, mild at WOT.

I've always liked Corsa but $1400???

This AFE sounds pretty good! 

• Like 1

Very pleased with this ‘muffler replacement’ so far... very deep and slightly louder and no drone at 75mph.

Put this on the other day.
Awesome at idle,  no drone, mild at WOT.
I've always liked Corsa but $1400???
This AFE sounds pretty good! 

I couldn’t shell out that kind of cash for a cat back when there is minimal horsepower gain. I’ll keep my AFE!

Anybody looked at Flowmaster Flow FX catback system for the 5.3?  Not badly priced and seems to get good comments.  Also like it as both pipes run straight out of the back of the muffler to limit restrictions. Looking to upgrade but the cost factor vs gain is always there?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2020 at 10:11 AM, Attebury said:

would love to hear a video of the AFE.

My wife is very much enjoying the stock exhaust, and I am very much missing my duel flowmaster 40's on my old truck, so something in the middle would be awesome. 

Flowmaster are generally just noise boxes made to increase the exhaust note and not much more. Magnaflow has a really nice "in-between" sound that my wife gets along with also. ?

Whatever yall do, DO NOT get the MBRP cat back. It's horribly droney; sounds like a high-schooler hacked off his muffler "SO SICK BRO!" LOL. I might try and add this AFE muffler to replace the MBRP straight through.

On 5/22/2020 at 6:10 AM, curly said:

I’ll see if I can get a decent video this weekend if the weather clears up in NC.

No video yet?