Target Production Week Has Arrived!

GREAT video.  Never seen the production line before and all those robots.  WOW!

Personal History on my experience with a factory special build:

Was supposed to fly into Ft Wayne in 1995 for my Suburban build, but the plane was in for repairs.  I have bought 13 new Chevrolets from my buddy here who owes/owned the Chevy/Caddy dealership, so he and I were flying in a private place to Ft. Wayne.  We were college buddies.

Since we missed it, I unexpectedly got an EVENING home phone call  from a guy, "Mr. Smith", who asked if I was coming up on Monday.  Told me they painted it Friday and were "interioring" it Monday.

I have to say, in those days never get one made on those days of the week.  That held true too, it had 7 axles put in it, a Canadian Speedometer and couple other things too.  GM finally gave me a special phone number to call.  Later was told in could have been covered under the :Lemon Law".

I was shooting at the Nebraska State Shoot when I drove over something in the parking lot.  A hot day, so I was driving down to the line to park and shoot.  Called AAA to change out tire while I competed.  When I returned, the tire guy showed me the blown tire was totally covered on the inside with rear-end grease.  Phoned the GM number that Sunday.  They did not want me to return to the Black Hills,  and got me a hotel room in Grand Island NE.  Told them I *was* driving back as I'd been gone a week.  She (GM) said that the Suburban could catch fire.  I told here as long as I got all my shooting stuff out of it, I'd appreciate watching the fire.

Traded it right off for a 1996 Suburban and never had one warranty ticket on that one, and never looked back.  I AM VERY GM LOYAL since my 1960's days for drag racing!!

Thanks for showing the video link.

55 minutes ago, SilveradoX2 said:

Just read at GM Authority, in an article that GM is building a new L5P parts plant, that mandatory overtime has been implemented at the Flint Plant.

Well, at least until they finish my truck ?

Got another update today.  Apparently my truck is running down the line and will be out of production tomorrow (I know..Friday...not concerned though, it's being built now..not on Friday ?

Margaret told me that it then takes another 23 days to get to Calgary and 7 days after that to get to the dealer, so may even get it by end of March!

As he was building it online, my dealer told me he put it in as a "priority".  I have no idea what that means or if it impacted it.

Just salesman bs.  No such thing as entering it as a priority.

DOSP - Dealer Order Submission Process

The weekly process consists of 4 stages.

1. Constraints Distribution - Dealers are informed on constraints to review before placing orders.  (A Constraint is a limit placed on specific build configurations.)

2. Dealer Order Submission - Dealers can order on Thursday, Friday or no later than midnight on Saturday. (You can submit orders earlier but you don't know the constraints.)

3. The 4-Pass Process - GM will attempt to place each dealer’s orders on Mondays using a 4-Pass process. (At this point a dealer may get more or less than was allocated, if they asked.)

4. Dealer Review - You can review your placed orders for changes or replacements until Tuesday at 9pm ET. That's when the orders are sent to production control.

--------------------------------------------------

1100 and Dealer Allocation

This causes a lot of issues. When you place an order with a dealer, the status is 1100. UNTIL Chevrolet ACCEPTS the order, it just sits there at 1100. You don't have an order with GM at this point. You only have a dealer requesting an allocation for a slot in the production schedule. Dealer Allocation is simple to understand - GM changed its model for producing vehicles a few years' back. Dealers are now awarded allocation based on past performance, as well as other factors. If you are sitting at 1100 you are not in line yet for production. Your dealer MUST get GM to accept the order. When GM accepts the order, all the parts are available and will be allocated to your car build.

First, many dealers do not understand the allocation process.

Second, dealers are told at the beginning of every model year the number of units they are expected to order. This is their Guide Number, so called because it is intended to help a dealer "floor plan."

Third, many dealers confuse Guide Number with Allocation.

Fourth, dealers are told every other Thursday how many Allocations (a portion of the Guide Number) they can use over the following two weeks AND this number of orders will be divided over two weeks.

To summarize, say the dealer is given 50 units as a Guide,  that means about 1 unit every weekly ordering process from 2 units awarded in the every other week ordering process. If the dealer sells a dozen Camaros every year, change the 50 to 12 and reduce the bi-weekly consensus to conform. By the way, this awkward system meets laws and demands of court decisions.

When will my car ship?

You have better chances of picking winning lottery numbers than to know for sure when your car will ship. When you combine the QC issues with geographical delivery of cars (at the lowest possible cost so they need to aggregate deliveries - and they don't not use a first in first out methodology), this can be the most frustrating part of the whole SRE journey. There is no transparency to actual data. There is just generic codes and sometimes the whisper from "someone in the know". Your car may ship quickly, it may not. It will likely take longer the more rural you are and the lower the volume of cars your dealer sells.

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, cdnSpinalTap said:

Congrats - that's awesome!

What did you order?

2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD / LT in silver ice metallic. I customized it because I wanted some options but not everything. Had to get the diesel motor, that was important. This will be my first ever brand new truck (I've always purchased used) and obviously never ordered from the factory before. 

2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD / LT in silver ice metallic. I customized it because I wanted some options but not everything. Had to get the diesel motor, that was important. This will be my first ever brand new truck (I've always purchased used) and obviously never ordered from the factory before. 
More details when did you place ur order did u check to see when it was accepted and moved into production control...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, mkeddie said:

More details when did you place ur order did u check to see when it was accepted and moved into production control...

It was accepted and given code 3000 on 03/04/2020. Today they said the TPW is 03/16/2020.

It was accepted and given code 3000 on 03/04/2020. Today they said the TPW is 03/16/2020.
Don't get that
I ordered on 1/3
3000 on 3/3
And now tpw of 4/20
Mine is a gas engine but a month later for tpw sounds stupid

4 minutes ago, mkeddie said:

Don't get that
I ordered on 1/3
3000 on 3/3
And now tpw of 4/20
Mine is a gas engine but a month later for tpw sounds stupid

I ordered on 02/10. That does sound crazy that it's taking that long, but I also read somewhere the diesels are taking precedence over the gass'ers for some reason. 

2 minutes ago, dg2006 said:

I ordered on 02/10. That does sound crazy that it's taking that long, but I also read somewhere the diesels are taking precedence over the gass'ers for some reason. 

Yeah, and I almost want to say that they pushed a bunch of Canadian orders this current week, based on a couple of people on this board.  I have no factual evidence supporting it, just a hunch.

41 minutes ago, dg2006 said:

I'm sure there are thousands of green wrinkly reasons for that from GM's perspective.