New to the Forum - 5th Wheel\Gooseneck Hitch holes in the box

Does anyone have a solution that would better seal this holes?  The covers are ok to plug from debris but dust fills the box with the tonneau cover on.  I don't expect to have either 5th or Gooseneck trailer in the future as a have both a 29 ft. travel trailer and 12' motorcycle trailer.

I found this https://www.mcmaster.com/snap-in-plugs  but I don't think they'll work.  I'm also going to by the Tail Gate Seal kit too.

Thanks in advance.  

Russ

New owner of a 2020 Sierra 2500 AT4. Tonneau, Spray in liner and undercoated.   

6 minutes ago, NorthernTech said:

Does anyone have a solution that would better seal this holes?  The covers are ok to plug from debris but dust fills the box with the tonneau cover on.  I don't expect to have either 5th or Gooseneck trailer in the future as a have both a 29 ft. travel trailer and 12' motorcycle trailer.

I found this https://www.mcmaster.com/snap-in-plugs  but I don't think they'll work.  I'm also going to by the Tail Gate Seal kit too.

Thanks in advance.  

Russ

My '16 2500 did not have the factory 5th prep. I had to have holes drilled in the box for the hitch. My stipulation when I was picking a hitch was I wanted a clean bed when it was not installed. So with the hitch removed I ended up with 4 large (1.5") holes where the pins went through. The only solution that I found that worked well was a 3/8" rubber bed mat (from Princess Auto). Had to leave the cover open for a few days to let the rubber smell dissipate.

It worked perfectly and I never had any issues with dust or water in the box. I also had the tailgate seal and a Revolver X2 tonneau cover.

Congrats on the new rid and welcome!

Edited by Rufus28
type0

Thanks Rufus and fellow Canuk!

I had a 2004 Silverado 2500 LS with the Duramax prior.  Sold it in 2013.  Who knew I'd be back.  My previous unit didn't have the prep done.  And the amount of dust that comes in the box after the 309 km drive down a gravel road is extensive.

I'd like to seal them and if I do get a 5th wheel in the future I can easily remove the seals and just use the covers that were included.

21 hours ago, NorthernTech said:

Thanks in advance.  

Russ

Use those plugs and seal them with some black silicone. They will stay in place but can still be removed easily if needed in the future. 

I had a full bedrug in my last truck. I loved it, and that truck didn’t have a 5th wheel prep. This truck does, and I didn’t think the full sides were necessary so I got a bedrug bed mat. I plan to just cut holes where the holes are in the bed, then I can just pop them in and out. The bedrug is made out of fake carpet and foam. It’s incredibly nice on your knees if you climb around in the truck bed at all, soft for pets, comfortable for drive in movies, and keeps things from sliding around in the bed.

I fact, as I think about it, I may just cut out a big squarish section I can pop in and out. That way a fiver hitch would be directly against the bed and I would only have one piece to deal with instead of 5 small pieces.