2017 Sierra 1500, L83 Loud Engine Tick, 73K miles

Greetings.  This is my first post here.  I have a 2017 Sierra SLT Crew Cab 4x4 with the 5.3l L83 V8 engine.  I bought the vehicle with 52k miles.  Issues I had thus far: Replaced fuel injector and fuel lines at 65k miles.  Vacuum pump for brake booster was replaced under recall at 69k miles.

At 73k miles, my engine has a very loud tick and the check engine light came on.  Called Onstar for a over air diagnostic which came back with a PN0324 code which indicates timing and possible misfire issues.  I immediately got the truck to my local dealership.  Diagnosis is broken lifters which is covered by my extended powertrain warranty.  I asked if the lifters were the AFM cylinders and was told yes.  I hope the camshaft is ok.  I am going to check out the damage and see what way forward will be.

Anyone else have these issues?

23 minutes ago, BuffaloGMCSierra said:

Greetings.  This is my first post here.  I have a 2017 Sierra SLT Crew Cab 4x4 with the 5.3l L83 V8 engine.  I bought the vehicle with 52k miles.  Issues I had thus far: Replaced fuel injector and fuel lines at 65k miles.  Vacuum pump for brake booster was replaced under recall at 69k miles.

At 73k miles, my engine has a very loud tick and the check engine light came on.  Called Onstar for a over air diagnostic which came back with a PN0324 code which indicates timing and possible misfire issues.  I immediately got the truck to my local dealership.  Diagnosis is broken lifters which is covered by my extended powertrain warranty.  I asked if the lifters were the AFM cylinders and was told yes.  I hope the camshaft is ok.  I am going to check out the damage and see what way forward will be.

Anyone else have these issues?

The code is actually P0324 which is knock sensor performance.  Kind of odd showing up with an AFM lifter failure unless it was misfiring that bad.  AFM failure typically hits on cylinder misfire codes on 1/4/6/7.    

Lifter failure has happened before on here though.  As long as the cam is ok, hopefully they follow #15-06-01-002H and replace the whole bank on the failure side and the VLOM.  

14 minutes ago, NWI Denali said:

Why were the fuel lines replaced?

For the high pressure pipes going to the rails.  They are 1 time use.  

i just had a p0325 code pop up today after picking up my kid from school and getting on the interstate. gave the truck a bit of throttle to merge on the interstate and i see the check engine light come on. get home to find its the p0325 code which states its the knock/combustion vibration sensor 1 circuit bank 1 or single sensor. i have a 2017 gmc sierra 1500 5.3l. anyone have any idea if its the knock sensors going bad or what?

8 hours ago, memphiscbrider said:

i just had a p0325 code pop up today after picking up my kid from school and getting on the interstate. gave the truck a bit of throttle to merge on the interstate and i see the check engine light come on. get home to find its the p0325 code which states its the knock/combustion vibration sensor 1 circuit bank 1 or single sensor. i have a 2017 gmc sierra 1500 5.3l. anyone have any idea if its the knock sensors going bad or what?

Any noticeable loss of performance?