On star & Chevy 4g

Just got a 2017 Silverado and my complimentary Chevy 4g & on star expire in a few days. 

I connect my iPhone for navigation, phone, music etc

What features will I lose if I don’t subscribe to either? (Besides the remote on the Chevy app)

I have unlimited data on my iPhone so I don’t care about that. 

thanks

Probably nothing. I still have the basic plan for about another year that came with it when I bought new and only really use the remote lock/unlock. I also use my own phone for navigation and such through Android Auto. I have Unlimited data in my phone but can be throttled after IIRC, 25gb. So I did go ahead and order the unlimited wifi for the truck which is $20 a month. This way, I will usually use the truck hotspot for data to save it on my phone. Also when traveling with my young son, he likes using his tablet and even though I can turn my phone data on as a hotspot, that is also extremely limited and having the unlimited data hotspot in the truck is worth it for me. I could be wrong but thought I read somewhere that the truck wifi is able to acquire a signal in many more places than a phone can so it can stay better connected.

Edited by mikeyk101
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, mikeyk101 said:

Probably nothing. I still have the basic plan for about another year that came with it when I bought new and only really use the remote lock/unlock. I also use my own phone for navigation and such through Android Auto. I have Unlimited data in my phone but can be throttled after IIRC, 25gb. So I did go ahead and order the unlimited wifi for the truck which is $20 a month. This way, I will usually use the truck hotspot for data to save it on my phone. Also when traveling with my young son, he likes using his tablet and even though I can turn my phone data on as a hotspot, that is also extremely limited and having the unlimited data hotspot in the truck is worth it for me. I could be wrong but thought I read somewhere that the truck wifi is able to acquire a signal in many more places than a phone can so it can stay better connected

don’t the trucks use at&t though?  So it’s only as good as an at&t signal. 

I will say I had the wifi for a little while and it worked great. I played pandora from my phone my wife on Facebook watching videos my sons on tablets playing online games and watching YouTube. 

2 hours ago, Jheyt said:

don’t the trucks use at&t though?  So it’s only as good as an at&t signal. 

It is AT&T on the truck. It seems to get a nice all around signal though.

17 hours ago, 15 Z71 said:

I will say I had the wifi for a little while and it worked great. I played pandora from my phone my wife on Facebook watching videos my sons on tablets playing online games and watching YouTube. 

This.  We road trip in the truck a lot and the ability for my wife to work and my daughter to watch her iPad in the back make the unlimited 4G well worth the $20/month.

I have unlimited WiFi in my ‘15. I use it on the way to remote sites where my cell was unable to get, and keep a reliable connection. (So it does reach places cell won’t, as another poster suggests.). If connectivity is critical, get the unlimited data. I was on way to a site and exceeded the limit. Lost connectivity and voice command. Plan would have automatically renewed in a few days, but the folks were pretty unforgiving about anything short of adding a few GB or purchasing the unlimited.