Trying to order new 3500... Not having any luck.

Just looking for some feedback from those who have ordered.

I have reached out to 5 dealers across three states (not all at once) and am having one hell of a time getting someone to put an order in for me. They keep trying to locate stuff no where near the build I am after. I kindly remind them again I want to order and almost verbatim between all of the dealers I am told "they" will get with the new car manager and then I never receive a call back. No amount of poking or prodding can I actually get an answer.

Have you seen this before? It just seems odd, not even a hey we just can't right now, I am just left in the dark. I know we are getting close to MY2020 order deadlines, but it is still open.

1 hour ago, davester said:

Maybe try going into a dealership and talk to them about ordering it in person?  Don't forget to ask them about their allocation.

I have gone to my local dealer twice and wasted two weeks trying to get something figured out. This dealer insisted on a dealer locate. I finally broke and was going to settle on an incoming truck. They flat out refused to price it out. I asked six times. Only would send me locates. That truck has since come on the lot and sits. Because they wasted two weeks of my time and were sleezy as all hell, I refuse to work with them now.

I stopped at another dealer 50 miles down the road, still waiting to hear back.

Emailed and talked with three other dealers a little further out, all 100+ miles. I am trying to avoid the drive unless I know for sure they can order. These dealers need to earn my business by showing a little good faith that they aren't going to waste my time when I get there. I have better things to do than drive all over the place to talk.

29 minutes ago, Tomato said:

Where are you located? My nephew is sales manager at a dealer here in northern California, and I am sure he would order one for you if you are in this area.

I am in the Mountain West area. I am to the point though where I will order and fly in to pickup if needed. 

Edited by trswyo

Very interesting they aren’t willing to work with you. Dealer located are nice and all but not if they don’t have the options you want.

I wish I could offer some advice, I just said the truck I want doesn’t exist anywhere so I needed them to order me one with the exact options I wanted.

When you tell them you have specific options they still won’t order for you? So crazy.

22 minutes ago, FirstAscent said:

Very interesting they aren’t willing to work with you. Dealer located are nice and all but not if they don’t have the options you want.

I wish I could offer some advice, I just said the truck I want doesn’t exist anywhere so I needed them to order me one with the exact options I wanted.

When you tell them you have specific options they still won’t order for you? So crazy.

Apparently GM loyalty doesn't go too far... This will be my fourth new truck or SUV in six years, my first order which I am actually excited about.

My dad is ready to buy my mom a new Acadia Denali as well, dangling that out there doesn't get any more traction from the dealers. Starting to think this is a sign I shouldn't buy a new truck... or a GM. ?

That's weird, I've ordered every new vehicle I've boughten which is 3 and my wife's traverse they had the exact one on the lot.  I just said nah, I still want to order and they were fine with it, took 6 weeks.

I've shared on some other threads that I read at GM Authority that GM has ordered mandatory overtime at the Flint plant since February.  That tells me that GM has a ton of orders and allocations already.  Add to that GM Authority reported the 2021 Order Book will open in May.  Maybe the convergence is forcing GMs hand to not accept orders without saying so.  I've built my 3500HD online, and using a 2000 mile search there are over 3,000 trucks that somewhat matches, none exactly.  Seems like a lot of trucks to me.

Thank you for sharing, I thought about ordering a 2020, but I will until the 2021 Order Book opens.

Edited by SilveradoX2
Additional info

Mountain West? What state?  Dealers get penalized and lose allocations when they submit a "sold order" with a customer's name on it and end up putting it on the lot or selling it to someone else.  You'll have a tough time getting someone out of state or even at say 50+ miles from you to order...

6 minutes ago, Tomato said:

Mountain West? What state?  Dealers get penalized and lose allocations when they submit a "sold order" with a customer's name on it and end up putting it on the lot or selling it to someone else.  You'll have a tough time getting someone out of state or even at say 50+ miles from you to order...

I'm in Wyoming. Not many dealers around me. I started with the local, the one over the hill as we call it and some in Colorado on the I 25 corridor (One Colorado dealer finally got a price to me a half hour ago. It was BS. Wouldn't honor current promotions / incentives. Said they only use the incentives at time of delivery and we can talk pricing when it comes in in 16 to 20 weeks, after putting down a non refundable $2k deposit).

I have hit up Laura and waiting on a response from them since there seems to be a lot of positive comments on them (and possibly the best price). 

I can sure relate to this, Between my friend and I we contacted seven different GMC dealers only received a price from two. I built the truck on GMC website then sent the dealers the link to look at the build, one said they needed a stock number to price a truck other ones said they would try to locate me one. The build had the MSRP all they had to do was tell me how much they would sell it for go figure???.  Stuck with my first choice ,local dealer , I went in on a Thursday  we built the truck like I wanted he had an  allocation to order one HD he said Ill order the truck if you don't want it when it comes in that's fine, GM picked up the order the next week 01/16/20 the truck was built on 02/25/20 showed up at the dealer 03/06/20. 2020 3500 SLT Duramax  CC DRW. 

• Like 1

I’ve never ordered. Most of the trucks I’ve bought started with me emailing the dealership for quotes via email or fax. I usually bought from the same place. Only check other dealers to make sure I’m getting a good deal. I’ve gone on the GM web site. You can build your truck there and be directed to the nearest dealership. Not being able to order a truck is BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This seems bizarre to me.  At my dealership I use the same sales person and finance manager (I have their cell phone number) and I work with the same two people each time I buy a truck.  I pick up the phone and call their cell and tell them what I want and they either find it or order it for very competitive price, every time.  Then I roll in, sign some papers, and roll out.  I don't see how dealers stay in business who make it so hard on a person who wants to buy a new truck.    

Edited by jjackkrash