97 K1500 Ext Cab Long Bed clunking noise front driver side suspension

My brother's truck is a 97 Chevy K1500, 5.7L Extended Cab with the long bed, around 220K.  Recently started making a loud clunking noise sometimes when going over bumps, especially at lower speeds 15-40 MPH.  The shocks were shot, so I swapped them out, both front and rear.  This has reduced the clunking but it still happens sometimes.  I crawled under and checked to make sure the exhaust or anything else wasn't hitting the frame, so far everything looks good there.  I've checked the rest of his suspension on the front and really can't seem to find anything that would make this noise.  At this point I'm leaning toward the bushings on the control arms, torsion bars, or possibly sway bar bushings (I have put new sway bar links just about a month ago, as one was broken).  None of these have been replaced the life of the truck and she's definitely rusty from all the wonderful salt on the road during IL winters.  But I also don't want to just start throwing suspension parts at it in hope of getting the right one, although the amount of rust may require a front suspension rebuilt in the next few years anyway.  Just trying to see if anyone else has had such an issue and what was the fix for it.

1 hour ago, Brian Lindsey said:

as old as it is , and amount of miles and rust , wouldnt you think a new front suspension might be the way to go, i replaced mine last year with  all moog parts including gearbox

Probably, but its not my decision on doing that, its my brother's.  I'm just trying to get him the best info for what to do at this point.  The truck is still drives fine even with the clunking.  Its more annoying than anything else.

23 hours ago, LDM said:

My brother's truck is a 97 Chevy K1500, 5.7L Extended Cab with the long bed, around 220K.  Recently started making a loud clunking noise sometimes when going over bumps, especially at lower speeds 15-40 MPH.  The shocks were shot, so I swapped them out, both front and rear.  This has reduced the clunking but it still happens sometimes.  I crawled under and checked to make sure the exhaust or anything else wasn't hitting the frame, so far everything looks good there.  I've checked the rest of his suspension on the front and really can't seem to find anything that would make this noise.  At this point I'm leaning toward the bushings on the control arms, torsion bars, or possibly sway bar bushings (I have put new sway bar links just about a month ago, as one was broken).  None of these have been replaced the life of the truck and she's definitely rusty from all the wonderful salt on the road during IL winters.  But I also don't want to just start throwing suspension parts at it in hope of getting the right one, although the amount of rust may require a front suspension rebuilt in the next few years anyway.  Just trying to see if anyone else has had such an issue and what was the fix for it.

Hoe did you check the suspension components? Many cars have to be checked while under weight, your brothers 97 included.  I'd be looking closely at upper and lower balljoints personally, sway bar bushings, even a arm bushings as you mentioned.

Jack one side of the truck up under the lower a arm, get the tire a few inches off the ground, but keep the suspension as level as possible.  Push in and out on the top and then bottom of the tire, watch for movement at the upper/lower balls.  Take a pry bar and put it under the tire, rock the tire up away from the ground and watch for play up/down in the ball joints.  As you set the truck back down do so slowly and watch for play at the balls when the suspension is settling back down.

I've seen these upper and lower balls fall out of the socket after they get too bad, they usually make a crazy racket up to that point.  

2 hours ago, W8MCC said:

Hoe did you check the suspension components? Many cars have to be checked while under weight, your brothers 97 included.  I'd be looking closely at upper and lower balljoints personally, sway bar bushings, even a arm bushings as you mentioned.

Jack one side of the truck up under the lower a arm, get the tire a few inches off the ground, but keep the suspension as level as possible.  Push in and out on the top and then bottom of the tire, watch for movement at the upper/lower balls.  Take a pry bar and put it under the tire, rock the tire up away from the ground and watch for play up/down in the ball joints.  As you set the truck back down do so slowly and watch for play at the balls when the suspension is settling back down.

I've seen these upper and lower balls fall out of the socket after they get too bad, they usually make a crazy racket up to that point.  

Yes, I've done all those things and am unable to duplicate the noise that it makes while driving.  I do not see any play in the various bushing or ball joints, however that doesn't mean there isn't a problem and I just can't make it happen while stationary.  I was hoping for something simple that I might have overlooked but suspension noises are one of those things that can be hard to pinpoint easily sometimes.  I think I will just have to recommend to him that its time to do some rebuilding if he wants to keep driving the truck.  Or get used to the noise until he decides to go that route.

Could be the A-arm bushings are worn, or the nut has become loose, or the bolt has become worn, or the eccentric cam washer has fallen out.

With the front end on jack stands, put the floor jack under that corner of suspension so the upper A-arm isn't laying on the bracket/frame.  With as big a pry bar as you can muster, try moving the A-arms back and forth in their frame brackets.