Travel Trailer Opinions on Weight

Hey everyone, haven't posted in a while but I need some help. I have a 2015 1500 double cab 5.3L 3.42 gears. I'm in the market for my first travel trailer and I want to make sure I'm going to be safe. I'm looking at a 2014 Forest River Cherokee 274DBH and its dry weight is 6261lbs. My truck is rated for 9600lbs but I'm concerned that once its loaded that I'm going to be pushing it pretty close to the limit. Any thoughts, tips, advice, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

I have a Flagstaff 27bhws that is 6700lbs dry and about 7800lbs fully loaded. So I I'd definitely add 1000lbs to the dry weight. You would be fine with the tow weight but your payload will be the issue. Your truck probably has a payload around 1500 and the hitch weight will be 1000lbs loaded. This only leaves 500lbs for people and gear in the truck. You will more than likely be over or very close to the maximum as you mentioned. I've seen plenty of Z71 trucks hauling similar so it can be done but it doesn't make it right or safe.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ray2005 said:

I have a Flagstaff 27bhws that is 6700lbs dry and about 7800lbs fully loaded. So I I'd definitely add 1000lbs to the dry weight. You would be fine with the tow weight but your payload will be the issue. Your truck probably has a payload around 1500 and the hitch weight will be 1000lbs loaded. This only leaves 500lbs for people and gear in the truck. You will more than likely be over or very close to the maximum as you mentioned. I've seen plenty of Z71 trucks hauling similar so it can be done but it doesn't make it right or safe.

That's sorta what I was figuring I guess. With weight distribution hitch and everything all said I'll probably be just fine but pushing it to capacity. Ideally I'm hoping to find something around the 4500-5500lb dry weight then even with the gear I should be able to tow that all day long. Definitely appreciate the input.

1 hour ago, ray2005 said:

It should be between 1800-1900lbs. Mine is like 1826 or something (LT, 5.3 3.42 4wd Z71 CCSB). It will be fine. My dads Long Bed Canyon has a payload of 1500ish pounds. 

52 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

It's not towing, it's stopping and accident avoidance (ie swerving at 60 mph).

Which the truck has plenty capability to do comfortably under the max tow rating (which are also understated to what the truck can actually safely handle). 

Tyler

Which the truck has plenty capability to do comfortably under the max tow rating (which are also understated to what the truck can actually safely handle). 

Tyler
I'm not sure how you got a Z71 with that much payload. I searched for a max tow package when I got my truck because every Z71 I looked at didn't have more than 1500-something lbs of payload.

I do agree on the stopping power with that particular trailer, a trailer that size also has trailer brakes.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, It's Tim said:

It's not towing, it's stopping and accident avoidance (ie swerving at 60 mph).

I understand stopping is also a factor however,  when my truck rated for 9600lbs of towing capacity has the same brakes as a truck with the max tow option legally capable of pulling a 11-12K lb trailer, I'm less concerned with that, and more concerned about my drivetrain. But thanks.

First, ignore dry weight. It's a joke. Look at the gross weight and work from there.

Tongue weight will be 12-15% of that. Mine works out right at 12.5%, but go a bit higher for estimates. Add 100 lbs to that number for your WD hitch and bars. That is the number to check against payload.

• Like 2

Yea the OP needs to check his trucks payload sticker as I also think its more likely around 1500lbs not 1800lbs.  Also when it comes to travel trailers like stated above your ignore that dry weight and just use the gross trailer weight to figure it out.  My 2016 5.3 4x4 crew cab non z71 is 1620lbs payload and I tow a 6000lbs gvwr trailer just fine

He has a double cab 5.3 so I’m sure he’s got more than 1500lbs payload.  My truck is a loaded crew cab standard bed and I have just shy of 1500lbs.

We just placed a deposit on our first TT as well.  Forest River Wildwood X-lite 19dbxl.  The dry weight is 4300lbs.  Gross Weight is 7500.  These guys saying to base off gross trailer weight are crazy.  Each TT has a different cargo capacity, mine being fairly high.  The one you’re looking at has less than 1500 lbs Of cargo capacity.  There’s no way we will have over 3000 lbs in our trailer.  I’m guessing we will be around 5,500 loaded to camp.  Any way you slice it payload is going to be your limiting factor.  We are going to have to pack strategically to stay under our  1500lbs truck payload.

Edited by rjpoog1989

• 2 weeks later...

I tow my Forest River 201BHXL With my 2017 GMC Crewcab 5.3. 24’ overall length, 4233 lbs empty. Comes in between 5200-5500 lbs fully loaded. 

I use a 10k WDH. 

Truck bed loaded with firewood, small gennie, dog, and ice chest. 2 adults. 2 kids inside. Fiberglass topper and my truck is 6k. 

So with everyone and everything on board I’m somewhere between 11,000 and 12,000 GCVWR. 

Many times I wish I had the 6.2 or the 2500. The 5.3 pulls it fine though. I like having way more truck than I need but the 5.3 is a nice cruiser unloaded. 

I wouldnt want much more weight back there to be honest. Ive told my wife if we upgrade the camper we will need a bigger truck. I added bilstein 5100’s over the winter so I think that will help with bounce control. It doesnt wag the truck at all. The 8’ width makes it a great camper but its tough to see around even with clip on mirrors. 

We love this camper with our kids. 2.5 and 5.5 yrs old. 

53759A57-EC95-43C0-BEB3-A3CA66864ECD.jpeg

Edited by Bikemobile
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bikemobile said:

I tow my Forest River 201BHXL With my 2017 GMC Crewcab 5.3. 24’ overall length, 4233 lbs empty. Comes in between 5200-5500 lbs fully loaded. 

I use a 10k WDH. 

Truck bed loaded with firewood, small gennie, dog, and ice chest. 2 adults. 2 kids inside. Fiberglass topper and my truck is 6k. 

So with everyone and everything on board I’m somewhere between 11,000 and 12,000 GCVWR. 

Many times I wish I had the 6.2 or the 2500. The 5.3 pulls it fine though. I like having way more truck than I need but the 5.3 is a nice cruiser unloaded. 

I wouldnt want much more weight back there to be honest. Ive told my wife if we upgrade the camper we will need a bigger truck. I added bilstein 5100’s over the winter so I think that will help with bounce control. It doesnt wag the truck at all. The 8’ width makes it a great camper but its tough to see around even with clip on mirrors. 

We love this camper with our kids. 2.5 and 5.5 yrs old. 

53759A57-EC95-43C0-BEB3-A3CA66864ECD.jpeg

That unit is almost exactly the same as the one we would be getting if not for Corona.  Ours has the bunks and bathroom flip flopped but similar weight and length.  I’ll have about the same cargo as you and fiberglass cap as well.  Good to know the truck can handle it.  I hope I can still get mine after all this nonsense goes away.