In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
mtemp

Electric Steering Worth The Trim Upgrade?

Posted (edited)

Hello all, I'm pretty well sold on swapping out my F150 for a 2500 6.6 gas GM product.  Trying to decide if the electric steering included in the higher trim levels is worth the extra expense.  Does anyone have any experience towing with both?  I have a 32ft travel trailer and towing is the main function of this new truck.

Edited by mtemp

24 minutes ago, mtemp said:

Hello all, I'm pretty well sold on swapping out my F150 for a 2500 6.6 gas GM product.  Trying to decide if the electric steering included in the higher trim levels is worth the extra expense.  Does anyone have any experience towing with both?  I have a 32ft travel trailer and towing is the main function of this new truck.

I have experience with mine making lots of noise and fighting with GM to fix it!

5 th time to the dealer Monday. It may be a lemon law thing. 

Mine works great. The only time I notice it is pulling my toyhauler in the wind. It does exactly what it should.

Posted (edited)

Mine is silky smooth . The heads up display is awesome towing where you can keep your eyes on the road and not get a speeding  ticket .Changing lanes with the technology package cameras is great too . I caught a car in the lane I didn’t see in the mirrors already towing my Travel Trailer 

Edited by Carolina

I've had good luck with the 'digital steering assistant on mine.

FWIW, it is not full 'electric steering' like GM uses on the 1500.

Is it hydraulic with electric assist? I wasn’t even aware it changed for higher trims.

OP- for what it’s worth, I had a 2019 Silverado 1500 and I always thought it felt pretty great. I was very happy with it.

The digital steering assist is an electronically boosted hydraulic system.  It allows some EPS functionality over traditional hydraulic system.  It can lighten the parking lot efforts without sacrificing down the road feel.  It has two modes:  normal and tow.  In tow mode, the assist is adjusted to remove the light steering feeling when loaded.  A heavier more damped steering when loaded makes the steering less darty.

#iworkforGM 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FirstAscent said:

Is it hydraulic with electric assist? I wasn’t even aware it changed for higher trims.

OP- for what it’s worth, I had a 2019 Silverado 1500 and I always thought it felt pretty great. I was very happy with it.

GM's explanation: 

https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/trucks/five-advantages-of-sierra-hd-digital-steering-assist-system

For 2020HD's it is on SLT, AT4, Denali, LTZ and HC. 

I’d rather NOT have steering assist. My 16 LTZ DMax had serious issues with that stupid steering assist which caused my truck to steer left and right, later the dealership replaced the whole system which fixed the problem until it came back which caused my trading it in. My 18 has stiff steering when it’s cold outside until it warms up and the dealerships told me it’s caused by my lift and bigger tires LMFAO!

How have we gotten this far and without electronic steering for all these years only to have it forced down our throats and later having issues with it.

Sent from Above

I’m taking mine in tomorrow morning for the 5th time. It looks like I may be headed to get a lawyer if this time doesn’t fix it. 
It groans terribly and now the hissing noise when the wheel is center or slightly off center is really loud.  I just want it fixed. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2020 at 10:25 PM, redwngr said:

yeah mine is full electric but to be honest it just feels like power steering of old.... touch different but not really noticeable

I have 3 modes and can feel the difference between them all for sure....I don't have an issue with it on 1500

Edited by Dunn

If I'm reading it right, my 3500 AT4 has two modes - tow/haul and just normal. From what I've read, OffRoad doesn't change anything.

My wife will love it when she drives it. 

It feels overboosted to me. I am going to ask the dealer at my first visit if they can turn down the assist at all.

This is a 2500HD forum. Why are we talking about 1500's with electric steering which is not available on the HD's?

9 hours ago, unit said:

This is a 2500HD forum. Why are we talking about 1500's with electric steering which is not available on the HD's?

Maybe because the HD's have an optional electric over hydraulic system?

11 hours ago, unit said:

It is standard on the Chevy HD High Country, and GMC HD AT4 and Denali.