Amp Going Into Protect at Higher Volume

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Chris828 said:

Another thing you can test is disconnecting one rca channel at a time and try going high volume. Might give you an indication to which side the problem is on.

So did a few more tests this evening. Totally unplugged the rcas from the amp altogether and cranked the volume. The amp still went into protect above 1/2 volume or so. This should eliminate the harness, rcas, and any input other than power at this point. I also tried a different grounding point with no luck. This is insane. I’ve never had issues with a system like this. Seriously considering ripping everything out at this point. The only other things I can think to check are remote wire or maybe some slight defect with the terminal cup on the sub box causing a short somewhere. It seems like a ground or power issue but both are fine. Voltage is over 12 with truck off regardless of volume. Maybe kicker amps are too finicky? 

If your rca cables were unplugged there was no signal to the amp so therefore it should have no reason to go into protect. Does that harness provide a remote wire for the amp? If it does try disconnecting it and jumping from your 12v in to the remote in and test again. How is your amp wired to the sub? Can you upload a picture of the wiring at the output terminals of the amp?

On 3/25/2020 at 12:43 PM, Chris828 said:

Another thing you can test is disconnecting one rca channel at a time and try going high volume. Might give you an indication to which side the problem is on.

Solved!! Finally...After isolating everything else I discovered I was losing voltage at the remote terminal on the amp at higher volume. It turns out the remote wire on the LLJ Customs harness was bad. I used an loc that has a remote wire integrated and all is well now. What a relief! It turned out to be something so simple but caused such a headache.

15 minutes ago, SummitBoss said:

Solved!! Finally...After isolating everything else I discovered I was losing voltage at the remote terminal on the amp at higher volume. It turns out the remote wire on the LLJ Customs harness was bad. I used an loc that has a remote wire integrated and all is well now. What a relief! It turned out to be something so simple but caused such a headache.

Glad to hear it's all fixed! Now you can finally enjoy your upgraded system!