Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

slow speed suspension clunking


Recommended Posts

It’s really no different than any other greased suspension component. My last truck had 100k when I traded it and I’ve kept the springs greased the entire time no issues with dirt. My concern with rubber in that area is that these may alter the suspension pinion angle depending on how they wear and I’d like to know how long that piece of rubber will last. Anyone have any long term reviews?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally got a chance to install the Spring Things today. Amazing, all the clunking and weird noises are gone. Highly recommend these. 

77BF3463-E0C6-4422-9297-4363334662A5.jpeg

C95173EB-9366-4592-87D6-D05F3AD01A46.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jumping on this thread. Just bought a 2021 RST Z-71. It had 220 miles on it. Someone bought it and turned around and traded it in so i got a better warranty being it was a GM Certificate used truck. It was between this truck and and new Silverado LT Z-71. I went with this one because of the addrd warranty and it only had 220 mes on it. Didnt notice the noise in the rear end until on the way home and started paying closer attention! Callig Monday to ask about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just installed spring things 2 days ago, easy to install.

 Completely silent now, work great!

Edited by wurgs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a 2020 2500hd diesel with a 5inch bds lift and air lifter 5000 airbags and does the same thing. When I’m slowing down or only making a right turn there is a vibration/ humming noise coming from the rear right side that is annoying. You can hear it in the cab. It goes away from time to time but always comes back.  The place I got my lift done at couldn’t find anything wrong. Thought it might be the heat shield that gets put on the exhaust to protect the bag.  Prior to the lift it didn’t make any noises. Was anyone able to get more feedback on it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 2021 Silverado RST.  I had the exact same noise and I took it to my dealer and they fixed the leaf spring and noise never went away.  I got up underneath and messed with spare a little and does kind make the noise when pushing on tire.  Maybe some type of padding would eliminate the tire rubbing the bottom of the bed.  Not sure whats there now if anything.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Rburke said:

I have a 2021 Silverado RST.  I had the exact same noise and I took it to my dealer and they fixed the leaf spring and noise never went away.  I got up underneath and messed with spare a little and does kind make the noise when pushing on tire.  Maybe some type of padding would eliminate the tire rubbing the bottom of the bed.  Not sure whats there now if anything.  

Probably not your tire but the leaf springs..get the Spring Things…  $40 fix 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey all - 

 

Noticed this slight "clunk" at the dealership the very first day I test drove my new truck (2021 Trail Boss LT) and figured it was maybe some initial "break in" but the clunk has not dissipated (it's actually gotten a bit worse as I have 300mi on it now).

Like others, the clunk is most noticeable when turning into an entrance/drive way where there is a slight change in elevation...While I'm still pretty pi$$ed that GM hasn't remedied this issue on their own on these $50k+ trucks, I was relieved to find there was a simple $40 fix for this that didn't involve going through the dealership runaround and wasting my time taking my truck in.

Just to be sure, I just went out and rocked the bed of my truck back and forth and sure enough, the clunk was there...I was even able to rock the truck with one hand on the leaf spring and I could feel the subtle vibration of the clunk.

Anyway, I just logged onto www.spring-thing.com and placed my order. I'll get back to you all once I get them in the next 1-3 days and install them....thank God for this forum!!  

 

~Kevin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, KevChev said:

Hey all - 

 

Noticed this slight "clunk" at the dealership the very first day I test drove my new truck (2021 Trail Boss LT) and figured it was maybe some initial "break in" but the clunk has not dissipated (it's actually gotten a bit worse as I have 300mi on it now).

Like others, the clunk is most noticeable when turning into an entrance/drive way where there is a slight change in elevation...While I'm still pretty pi$$ed that GM hasn't remedied this issue on their own on these $50k+ trucks, I was relieved to find there was a simple $40 fix for this that didn't involve going through the dealership runaround and wasting my time taking my truck in.

Just to be sure, I just went out and rocked the bed of my truck back and forth and sure enough, the clunk was there...I was even able to rock the truck with one hand on the leaf spring and I could feel the subtle vibration of the clunk.

Anyway, I just logged onto www.spring-thing.com and placed my order. I'll get back to you all once I get them in the next 1-3 days and install them....thank God for this forum!!  

 

~Kevin

When you move the back of the truck by pushing and pulling on one of the rear tires , you can hear a clunking noise but that is actually normal as it’s called axle play. But what you’re hearing Is 99% because of your leaf springs. Let us know how it works out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds good Dogdad...I'm hoping to see the "Spring Things" arrive here by Friday or Saturday and will install them this weekend if that is the case. I'll definitely let you guys know how it goes once they're in...Is it bad that I'm excited to fix my truck?!?  LoL  

 

Boy, if I were a GM dealer, I'd heavily invest in a shipment of Spring Things. I wonder why GM hasn't changed their tactics at the factory and come up with something similar or better than the the little plastic shims they've been using...does GM NOT cruise the internet and read these forums?? I mean, c'mon, it's 2021 here. We shouldn't be smarter than the engineers that design/build our trucks, should we? 🤔

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Paul 74 said:

Not to high Jack this post but is anyone else having hanging starter issues? My 2021 Silverado 1500 with 3.0 Duramax has done it 4 times. It has 8100 miles on it. 

There’s a thread on the starter issue  if you do a search. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wanted the throw my experience in here. I just got a brand new 2021 Sierra last week and pretty much right off the lot I was getting the rear end clunking. Asked the service center, he took me out into the lot and told me they all do that, he grabbed the rear end of a few trucks, shook them back and forth and they all clunked.

 

It was driving me crazy so I found this thread. I tightened my u-bolts to 60ft/lb(they were maybe 45ft/lb), put the spring-things in the rear of the springs and threw some grease between the pads in the front of the leaves(even with the frame jacked up I was having a hard time getting the spring-thing to slide into there). And success! The clunking is almost completely gone. I can grab the rear tire, shake it pretty violently and all you hear is the little bit of axle play in the diff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ssch00 said:

Wanted the throw my experience in here. I just got a brand new 2021 Sierra last week and pretty much right off the lot I was getting the rear end clunking. Asked the service center, he took me out into the lot and told me they all do that, he grabbed the rear end of a few trucks, shook them back and forth and they all clunked.

 

It was driving me crazy so I found this thread. I tightened my u-bolts to 60ft/lb(they were maybe 45ft/lb), put the spring-things in the rear of the springs and threw some grease between the pads in the front of the leaves(even with the frame jacked up I was having a hard time getting the spring-thing to slide into there). And success! The clunking is almost completely gone. I can grab the rear tire, shake it pretty violently and all you hear is the little bit of axle play in the diff.

When he was shaking the truck..you were hearing axle play…you need to go educate him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.