1500 6.2 with 3.42 Max Tow Package hard to find!

7 minutes ago, Mike_F said:

GG= Grocery Getter

CC= Cool Commuter

In other words no real need for a truck.

These are the dealer's  greatest market audience so they stock what sells the most.

? When I was still considering buying a GM, I was only interested in NHT to get the most capability possible. Trucks are cool but if I weren't hauling and towing, I'd be driving a car. 

7 hours ago, BigDog88 said:

Thank you for your feedback on your experience.  I tend to drive my trucks for 10 years before trading for a new one so i definitely want to make sure i get one im happy with.....I may have to order one if i cant find the one i want.  Ive read a few posts/threads from the past 2-3 years on here about those that pull 6000lb + with just a standard 6.2 3.23 axle.  Im curious about their experiences too.  I know it has the power but do they squat alot?

Its not just the squat, its the gear ratio. Those 3.42's are really what you want, whether you tow or not. I have a 2017 silverado with the NHT package and 3:73 gears and the 5.3. The snap this truck has is what you want. RPM's are increased and the engine does not loaf along, its in its sweet spot. Sure fuel mileage suffers very slightly, but go for the deepest (highest numerically) you can get.

• Like 1

The truck I ended up buying on the 13th had everything I was looking for (rst, max tow, standard bed, etc...) but it had the 5.3 instead of the 6.2 I wanted. My friends the sales manager at the dealer and did a 500  mile search and couldn’t find what I wanted with the 6.2. The 6.2 with max tow package is hard to find in any trim level. So I settled with the 5.3. 

• 2 weeks later...

Found a High Country 6.2 with Max Towing and all the options i wanted but was 700miles away.  But i drove down to get it and brought it back on Friday.  Wow....nice ride.  The 6.2 is a nice step up from the 5.3 for me, but the biggest difference i noticed was the 10 speed trans....really smooth.  Its amazing how if does a great job of never going above 2000 rpms going up hills on the interstate even running 90.  Really happy with it and look forward to hooking up and pulling my trailer soon.  

• Like 3

I remember when a short bed crew cab was rare, you might have even had to order one or at least they were very very hard to find...now its complete opposite, I had hard time getting a standard bed....and these are the standard trucks now, crazy

• Like 1

I have a 2019 NHT 6.2 and it is a towing beast.  Compared to my 2014 5.3 with 3.42s and a 6 speed this thing does not even struggle when Im pulling my 7k lb RV.  The 10-speed with 3.42s is awesome.  Motor barely revs when climbing.  The alternator cooler works great.  I am dissapointed in MPG tough.  I use to get 10 in my 2014, but now I only get 8.  Of course that already had 50k miles on when I started towing and it had a Diablo tune. 

The springs may be beefed up, but they are still not that strong.  I added airbags and a compressor and it made a world of difference.

Would I ever tow a full 12000 lbs with it?  Hell no.  You really do need a 3/4 ton to pull that much safely.  But for medium RVs its awesome to have that extra oomph.

They are hard to find though.  You really have to search.  AutoTrader is almost no help because dealers just cut and paste generic ads into their desriptions so you get a lot of false leads.  I think you can get the NHT on a High Country.  I got an LTZ.  I despise the chrome bumpers but there is not enough upgrade on a high country to make it worth it for me. 

1 hour ago, Ezekiel2517 said:

They are hard to find though.  You really have to search.  AutoTrader is almost no help because dealers just cut and paste generic ads into their desriptions so you get a lot of false leads.  I think you can get the NHT on a High Country.  I got an LTZ.  I despise the chrome bumpers but there is not enough upgrade on a high country to make it worth it for me. 

It was easier with the K2s because all trucks with NHT had the trailering mirrors so you could look at the pictures (assuming they were pictures of the actual truck).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ezekiel2517 said:

I have a 2019 NHT 6.2 and it is a towing beast.  Compared to my 2014 5.3 with 3.42s and a 6 speed this thing does not even struggle when Im pulling my 7k lb RV.  The 10-speed with 3.42s is awesome.  Motor barely revs when climbing.  The alternator cooler works great.  I am dissapointed in MPG tough.  I use to get 10 in my 2014, but now I only get 8.  Of course that already had 50k miles on when I started towing and it had a Diablo tune. 

The springs may be beefed up, but they are still not that strong.  I added airbags and a compressor and it made a world of difference.

Would I ever tow a full 12000 lbs with it?  Hell no.  You really do need a 3/4 ton to pull that much safely.  But for medium RVs its awesome to have that extra oomph.

Thanks for your feedback.  Good to know that your 6.2 NHT pulls your similar size trailer to mine with ease.  It would be nice to get better MPG but with cheap gas right now I rather have the better performance.  Although the small gas tank is disappointing.  

Your right Autotrader not much help.  I was able to put 3.42 in the keyword search and it helped “some”.  But in the end the search on Chevy website ended up having enough info to find the vehicle I needed.

On 3/26/2020 at 3:04 PM, BigDog88 said:

The search function on chevrolet.com and gmc.com is pretty worthless.  It doesnt seem to be up to date.  Why are their so few 1500 with a 6.2 and 3.42 rear end with Max Towing Package available?  I would think most that use it to two would want that package.  Im finding like 1 per state.  Especially in High Country Trim.

Not sure if this will open correctly, but 21 High Country NHT trucks show up:  https://www.chevrolet.com/locate-inventory/all-new-silverado#?radius=500&models=Silverado 1500&years=2020&customertype=GC&makes=Chevrolet&filterconfigkey=ConfigAdmin_19Silverado1500&requestedPostalcode=64101&postalcode=64101&customSearchRadius=touched&bodyStyles=Crew Cab&packageCodes=NHT&open-panel=Trim&trims=High Country

On 3/27/2020 at 5:48 PM, flattop said:

Its not just the squat, its the gear ratio. Those 3.42's are really what you want, whether you tow or not. I have a 2017 silverado with the NHT package and 3:73 gears and the 5.3. The snap this truck has is what you want. RPM's are increased and the engine does not loaf along, its in its sweet spot. Sure fuel mileage suffers very slightly, but go for the deepest (highest numerically) you can get.

What trans did it have?  

Edited by newdude

I had a hard time finding a 6.2 crew standard bed max tow SLT K2xx in 2018 (now previous gen.)

Love the max tow and the upgrades it comes with. Would take it over z71 or AT4 any day. I like AT4 styling but you can make any trim off road looking with lift, tires, etc. 

Ended up flying to Laura Buick GMC and it was worth the trip to get what I wanted and best deal I could find. 16k off 60k msrp. Had to do GM financing to get all the discounts. 

Edited by 2018GMC