Service brake pad monitor?

Replaced brakes, rotors and calipers on my 2022 Chevy 2500HD because i work in extreme muddy conditions and now my service brake monitor system light is on. All wires seemed to be plugged up correctly. Need some advice. Hate having lights on the dash. Is there a way to reset this??

Thanks,000000000001 Bucket2005

On 1/28/2023 at 8:38 PM, Bucket2005 said:

Replaced brakes, rotors and calipers on my 2022 Chevy 2500HD because i work in extreme muddy conditions and now my service brake monitor system light is on. All wires seemed to be plugged up correctly. Need some advice. Hate having lights on the dash. Is there a way to reset this??

Thanks,000000000001 Bucket2005

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Bucket2005.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your trucks. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Bucket2005/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

I had similar issues come up when I first bought my 2020 1500 LT LM2.  Initially the dealer replaced a set of my brake pads and reset the monitor.  After that I noticed significant reduction in breaking performance, almost like the brake booster is dying.  Took it back in immediately and they tried to sell me new rotors, pads, and calipers, which wouldn't be covered under warranty even though the truck only had ~28k miles on it.  I basically told them to pound sand and took my truck back.    After about another 2,000 miles the other set of brake pads went from 88% down to 10%.  Took the truck back to the dealer and they told me there wasn't an issue and they just disabled the brake wear indicator system.  Definitely not satisfying answers across the board.  Thoroughly disappointed in GM at this point.

Mine will randomly tell me that new brake pads were detected. Mostly when I start it up after driving in snow earlier. I always think that there are magical brake pad fairies that swap out my pads while I sleep.

It goes back to normal pretty much instantly. 

On 2/4/2023 at 10:59 AM, m21knight said:

I had similar issues come up when I first bought my 2020 1500 LT LM2.  Initially the dealer replaced a set of my brake pads and reset the monitor.  After that I noticed significant reduction in breaking performance, almost like the brake booster is dying.  Took it back in immediately and they tried to sell me new rotors, pads, and calipers, which wouldn't be covered under warranty even though the truck only had ~28k miles on it.  I basically told them to pound sand and took my truck back.    After about another 2,000 miles the other set of brake pads went from 88% down to 10%.  Took the truck back to the dealer and they told me there wasn't an issue and they just disabled the brake wear indicator system.  Definitely not satisfying answers across the board.  Thoroughly disappointed in GM at this point.

This is certainly not what we like to hear, m21knight.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: m21knight/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 2 weeks later...

I just took my 2020 Silverado in for the "service brake pad monitor".  The day prior to my appointment I also got a message of "rear brake pads very low".  My brake pads showed over 80% less than a month ago.  The truck has 45,000 miles on it and I'm being told that my rear brake pads and rotors need to be replaced and the fronts are going to need it in the very near future.  When I informed the dealer (Genesis Cadillac and Chevrolet) of the service bulletins and recalls that pertain to this issue I was told that it doesn't affect my vehicle #1 and on a later call back I was told that the Bulletin expired in April of 2022 and GM would not honor it.  I never received a notice of either and all of my service work on this vehicle has been done at GM dealers since I purchased it new.  Rear pads going before the fronts???  I wasn't born yesterday.  The only way that happens is if there is a defective part.  The dealer basically shrugged it off as oh well.  I told them to put the tires back on and not touch it.  My wife and I have owned 10+ GM vehicles over the years and never have I been so infuriated.  

• Like 1

If the rears are wearing out before the front, I would check for a dragging parking brake.  If one of the pads is wearing considerably faster than the other pad on the same rotor, check for a sticking caliper.  You can also drive the vehicle for a bit then get out and check pad/rotor temperatures with an IR thermometer to see if one side is hotter than the other; left to right and front to rear.

• 1 month later...

Lifter failure and junk rotors, is GM quality no longer a concern with taxpayer money to buy them out of bankruptcy?

I had sent in an email to [email protected] to determine the build date of my 2020 Sierra Elevation as some others recommended as I seen a service bulletin stating based on the build date of the vehicle lifter failure would require both sides be replaced based on build date. Mine falls under the date requiring both sides to be repaired but per the dealer (build date 9/3/2020) says there was an updated bulletin that stated only to replace the defective side, no idea if its true.

3 weeks ago, I had service brake monitor system come up, , never towed anything, never plowed, I live in the country so no city driving with under 24k miles. Nothing about pads being low or to check anything. This truck has only been serviced by the dealer (just oil/filter and tire rotations). Last time I looked at the pad life they were ~90%. The following day it says I need to change my oil which still had 4.5k miles left per the dealer window sticker. Then within 2 days a lifter fails, dealer cant look at the truck for a week. Still under the bumper-to-bumper warranty and no loaner vehicles, said GM doesn’t support that anymore and will not offer any compensation on a rental. The nearby city has no rentals available either. At least they drove me home and picked me up the next day. Then they claimed to restart their loaner cars program, so they then gave me one to use.

They had the vehicle a few days said they needed parts, got the parts then told me “well another customer had been waiting 3 months for their vehicle so we did theirs first” you should have yours back by Friday. I told them I have to travel out of state for work and will be leaving the upcoming weekend. Of course, they did not get the truck repaired by Friday, big surprise. They let me park their loaner at the airport for a week. I call up the following Friday to exchange vehicles and they still do not have it fixed after having it for two solid weeks. They say well they didn’t have parts and I reminded them they told me last week the parts came in. Then they say the mechanic has a hernia and is slow and requires extra help??? Really? They get it to me at the end of the day Friday, I turn it on and service brake pad monitor system lights up. I asked why is that still showing up? They tell me it wasn’t on the work order, which I told them about when I brought it in as well as the oil life indicator hoping it was not a lifter failure but some computer glitch. So they tell me to bring it back next week.

I bring it back today and they tell me the rear rotor are down to 2mm and the pads are shot. On 2 year old truck with 24k miles, failed lifter and now this.  I ask doesn’t that indicate there is a problem? The mechanic says the rear brakes only are used about 30% for stopping so must be something going on. Seems like a red flag that there is an issue????? Shouldn’t they find out the issue and before replacing them with the same GM crap like they did with the lifters? Just put the same defective GM parts back in again. Good plan, I guess GM doesn’t care anymore when the taxpayers are there to bail them out of bankruptcy due to their shuddy engineering and quality.  

• Like 1

There’s only one vehicle that could be worth the new car price in my opinion. I haven’t driven the Maverick yet so there’s that. Some may be worth CPO prices once demand levels out. The dealers I use check my brakes with every oil change, I watch them do it. All my vehicles have slot wheels I can actually check myself. The stuff I really care about is how long is the starter and alternator going to last? They could strand you. Brakes can grind all the way home. But I’ll get there. Starter, you’re stranded. I’d rather have several nice used vehicles than one new one. I ain’t walking. And the big plus side a truck, van, sports sedan and sports car. My different moods covered. 

• Like 1

My brake monitor has always been checking brakes when I rotate tires. GMs brake system has failures it seems like other systems do. Technology is great when it works.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

New to me Sierra 1500 high country 18k miles and just got a Service Brake Pad monitor message.  Took it to local dealership who recommended new brakes and rotors $1350 indicating these are wear items and not covered by warranty.  This didn't make sense to me that the pads and rotors would be worm out at such a low mileage so I refused the service and took the truck to a local Firestone for a second opinion.  The indicated the brakes and pads are no where near needing to be replaced.  Since the issue seems to be the sensor; how do I get the dealership to fix the sensor issue under warranty?  Also, should we start another class action case against Chevy so that we can get to the bottom of the real issue since this seems to effect a lot of Chevy truck owners?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bstark said:

New to me Sierra 1500 high country 18k miles and just got a Service Brake Pad monitor message.  Took it to local dealership who recommended new brakes and rotors $1350 indicating these are wear items and not covered by warranty.  This didn't make sense to me that the pads and rotors would be worm out at such a low mileage so I refused the service and took the truck to a local Firestone for a second opinion.  The indicated the brakes and pads are no where near needing to be replaced.  Since the issue seems to be the sensor; how do I get the dealership to fix the sensor issue under warranty?  Also, should we start another class action case against Chevy so that we can get to the bottom of the real issue since this seems to effect a lot of Chevy truck owners?

Have Firestone put a wear sensor in it and see what happens.  When they are wrong, take it back to the dealer.  

Lack of brake maintenance isn't covered under warranty (caliper services to ensure the calipers are free and sliding). 

A class action will get everyone nowhere. 

Edited by newdude

On 3/29/2023 at 1:13 PM, Papp said:

Lifter failure and junk rotors, is GM quality no longer a concern with taxpayer money to buy them out of bankruptcy?

15 years later and you'd think people would pull their cranium from their rear end and have the appropriate amount of time to learn a few things.

1)  The government bailout want intended to, and never did, prevent GM from filing for bankruptcy. 

2)  GM wasn't the only car company to receive government money.  All 3 of the big 3 did.  Yes, even Ford.  There were 6 car companies total that received government bailouts.  One of them, Tesla, had never made a profit until years after the bailout was given to them.  The other 2 were Nissan and Toyota.  Of the 6, Ford was the last to finish repaying its debt, doing so in June 2022.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/ford-motor-co-does-u-turn-on-bailouts/&ved=2ahUKEwiS4KrFiveAAxU9QjABHfbGCkIQFnoECCkQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1LlSEpn_RN2BJGk2j94MXL

And, then a year after finally repaying the bailout Ford asked, and received, a $9.2 billion loan from the federal government. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/22/business/energy-environment/ford-battery-plants-loan.html&ved=2ahUKEwiS4KrFiveAAxU9QjABHfbGCkIQFnoECBwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1qPbEhnG44-06P2fRIMmyJ

3)  And here's the real irony, Ford is the least reliable domestic automotive manufacturer in the US.  The F-series truck ranks 3rd in reliability of the big 3, whereas GM ranks #1.

In conclusion, as President Abraham Lincoln said, "It's best to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."  Right now, there is no doubt.  I'm not here to profess that GM is superior and can do no wrong.  They are a company run by people, and people commit errors.  I'm simply stating that I'm tired of hearing lies repeated over and over.  It doesn't matter how many times you tell a lie, Hillary Clinton was wrong, it remains a lie and will never become truth.

Besides, it sounds like your issue is with your dealership, not GM.  Go find a different dealer.  I've used the MyChevrolet app to see which dealer in my area has the shortest wait time for service.  That'll give you a better idea of who'll get your truck in and out of the shop the quicker.

• 4 weeks later...

Ssme problem I'm currently having on my 2019 ltz 60k miles. Put on new rear pads and sensor then took it to dealer to reset "service brake monitor" message. Left the shop, went through carwash and low and behold message back on. Brought back to dealer was told it needed new front pads and rotors (that had just been deemed new by said dealer)  so i changed front pads (that it didn't need) and the sensor and still have same message. Not to mention had to reset 3 codes it set off after changing the front pads! Im so disappointed in wheeler motors in Cheboygan, MI over this and other issues with the same truck that they'll never see my money again, that's about all I'm certain of with this truck