2020 AT4 6.2L 10spd fuel economy

I've noticed a huge swing in MPG if I pre-start or idle...

If I dont pre-start/idle I get 17-18 mpg.

If I pre-start I get 13-14 mpg. I typically pre-start for 5-7 minutes.

It seems too large of a variance but I've tested it numerous times.

When I was idling at my daughters school everyday for 20-30 minutes I was near single digit MPG...

Edited by Chris walker

When I was idling at my daughters school everyday for 20-30 minutes I was near single digit MPG...

Yes. Idling is awful in newer vehicles. In the last few vehicles I’ve had it’s been like that.

2017 Malibu 1.4L - best mpg 41; when remote starting/idling 28ish

2018 Silverado 5.3L - best mpg 22.8; 16-17 when remote/idle

2020 Terrain 1.5L - best mpg 31mpg; 26 when remote/idle

I haven’t had my AT4 long enough to compare anything yet.

You’re free to use whatever octane you want BUT you’re the one (using 91) who’s getting bad fuel economy versus me (using 93) so....

Maybe try a tankful for funsies...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I may try 94 and see if it makes a difference, at least calculate the improvement if any.

I'm not going to give up on this truck after all I did buy it for the fact that it did suit my needs the best of all the trucks I looked at.

It was way cheaper than a Raptor and about the same as a rebel but at least this truck has the longer box versus the rebel and Raptor. With my wife on maternity leave I wanted a truck that suits my needs and require the least amount of modifying and that turned out to be the at4

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Well yeah because idling gets you exactly 0 mpg.

Are you all hand calculating or going off of the dash estimate?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jav_eee said:

You’re free to use whatever octane you want BUT you’re the one (using 91) who’s getting bad fuel economy versus me (using 93) so....

Maybe try a tankful for funsies...

I am using the exact same fuel I have always used, dyed 87 octane.  I used it in my 2016 6.2 and i am using it in this truck so I am totally comparing apples to apples in that sense.  I find it odd that i am experiencing such a huge difference between the two trucks.  I assume this truck weighs more than my 16 denali, haven't looked into that.

2 hours ago, DirtyAndy said:

Why would you buy a truck with a 6.2L expecting good mileage? It’s meant to pull stumps basically and move heavier stuff. If it does that for you and gets over 12mpg, you’re doing good. My 2003 2500 with the 6.0L that I had years ago was LUCKY to hit 10mpg. I think it got 7mpg average when I hauled my Camaro to Road America years ago.

The real tale of the tape is when you have the DIC showing your mileage over 400 miles. The 25 and 50 mile range can fluctuate greatly just from one hard acceleration on an on ramp.

My 5.3L is doing just dandy in my AT4. I’m actually impressed at the mileage since it’s lifted and such. I suspect it will do better as I drive it more. May switch it to 89 octane since my last few GM vehicles got better mileage on 89.

7f14b97a6d4c631c1e5c49353653f1d8.jpg

Technically thats not true.  This isn't a work horse motor, its more of a race horse motor.  With a cast Aluminum block its not meant for heavy work, that would be the 6.0 l engine.  I buy whatever floats my boat.  Driving style ultimately dictates gas mileage.  Having said that, if i can get better gas mileage, thats a bonus.  The difference between my 2019 and 2016 is a lot, thats my concern.  Glad yours does well for ya!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

While it may not be heavier, look how much bigger the 19+ is vs your 16. Especially with a factory lift. Can’t cheat physics.

Very true, the 2" lift definitely doesn't help the fuel mileage cause between the two trucks. I just looked it up and noticed that the curb weight of the AT4 is actually 500 lbs less than the AT4.  Never would have thought that.  Oh well, it is what it is.  Not all motors get the same gas mileage.

Technically thats not true.  This isn't a work horse motor, its more of a race horse motor.  With a cast Aluminum block its not meant for heavy work, that would be the 6.0 l engine.  I buy whatever floats my boat.  Driving style ultimately dictates gas mileage.  Having said that, if i can get better gas mileage, thats a bonus.  The difference between my 2019 and 2016 is a lot, thats my concern.  Glad yours does well for ya!

Fair enough. I hope yours does better for you as well. I really enjoy my AT4 and I hope you end up doing the same. I assumed the 6.2 was more of a work horse instead of a race horse.

18 minutes ago, DirtyAndy said:

Fair enough. I hope yours does better for you as well. I really enjoy my AT4 and I hope you end up doing the same. I assumed the 6.2 was more of a work horse instead of a race horse.

Much more fun to drive than my 6.0L i must say!    I am seriously considering going back to Dodge........I am a fan of their interiors and I have had good success with the Hemi.  I may regret that decision though lol

Much more fun to drive than my 6.0L i must say!    I am seriously considering going back to Dodge........I am a fan of their interiors and I have had good success with the Hemi.  I may regret that decision though lol

Dodge interior is a million times better, I shy'd away because I like the HD better, love the grill and front end on them. The sport looks better than the rest in the 1500. You can also get 3.92 gears and a larger fuel tank! 26L more than the GM. F150 has a 36L more than GM.

If the summer fuel economy dont improve I'll be trying out a new Ram, maybe factory order a 2021. I hear the Rebel TRX will be released this summer.

If you bought a 6.2 for fuel mileage then yes you bought the wrong truck, in fact any truck. Maybe you better buy a Prius! lol
Stupid comment, a big rig gets like 8mpg and sell based of fuel economy as you can go further and run cheaper. No one is expecting to get 40mpg or nothing like that. But if truck A gets 5 mpg more than truck B and does the exact same task then truck B will be more desired.

Plus many people say the 6.2 /10 speed is better than the 5.3 and my buddy has a 2017 5.3 and it's a pig for a half ton.

There's seriously something wrong with a 3/4 ton gas is better better mpg than a 1/2 ton.

This AT4 is going to cost me an extra $2500 per year vs Ford or Ram CC 6.5 box that does the exact same thing. I only bought the AT4 because everyone was like it's such a great truck and I didn't have to buy a level or new tires. My EcoBoost (CC 6.5 box with 3.55 and FX4/ tow pkg) was 20mpg easy with a level and 34x11 tires, I can't get this truck at 20mpg unless I'm driving 50mph.