In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sold my last GM in 2011 when i bought a Ford and a few vehicles later i'm back to GM again to try out. 

After a month i've come to a few gripes already.

1. Multri Pro tailgate, i like it better for looks than the Ram but the Ram is way more functional and this little annoyance i just found makes it a bit of a pain. 

- If the small upper tailgate is open/down you can't put down the main tailgate, i was told the inside or key fob wouldn't incase theres a hitch in place but even the button on the tailgate won't do this. 

I had put my snowmobile in the truck with the track on the lowered upper door to keep the main one farther from the road and getting possible rock ship, i assumed this was the purpose of the upper gate as they load lumber this way in advertisements. Took a few guys to lift my sled higher to close the upper gate so i could lower the whole thing. 

-Is there anyway yo bypass this?

2. Even with TC off and ESC off if you get wheel spin the AWD comes on, with all the closures happening now i found some very slippery parking lots with a recent snow fall to try some donuts and the stupid AWD kicks in, thats a bummer. i see no settings to stop the AWD from auto kicking in. 

3. adaptive cruise will not work if theres any of the slightest bit of dirt on the camera, my Ford adaptive cruise would work perfect in a snow storm and still auto brake if need be, I really liked this as in a snow storm you may come up on a slow moving vehicle you cant see but the truck would see it and slow you down.  

Your AT4 doesn't have a option to just put it in 2HI only?

If it's in 2WD, it shouldn't engage the 4HI auto. I have an K1 truck and it never engage 4HI auto when in 2HI

11 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

If it's in 2WD, it shouldn't engage the 4HI auto. I have an K1 truck and it never engage 4HI auto when in 2HI

Yes its in 2Hi, but in my HUD it flashes low traction (i'm on wet snow and want no traction in this case) soon as the rear spins more that like 10 seconds the truck decides to engage the front diff clutch and when my wheels stop spinning its back in 2wd. even the front tires show green as being engaged on my offroad display. 

I tried again with the truck in offroad mode and it still happens. I guess GM don't want us to have fun in empty snow covered lots. 

12 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

All 4WD '19s have them also which locks out the front axle.....a 2WD button.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, AdamAT4 said:

Yes its in 2Hi, but in my HUD it flashes low traction (i'm on wet snow and want no traction in this case) soon as the rear spins more that like 10 seconds the truck decides to engage the front diff clutch and when my wheels stop spinning its back in 2wd. even the front tires show green as being engaged on my offroad display. 

I tried again with the truck in offroad mode and it still happens. I guess GM don't want us to have fun in empty snow covered lots. 

If you have an E80 Eaton rear locker, it is locking up both rear wheels and what you are feeling is the clutching in the rear axle but if in 2WD the transfer case locks out the front axle driveshaft which should only rotate in 4WD and in AWD with the front wheels disengages.  If front axle or wheels engages in 2WD it is time for service, especially if the graphic in the DIC shows the front axle engages.

If you have a single speed transfer case with an "Off Road" button instead of a "4Lo" button a different matter. The Off Road button is a 4WD button simulating a 4Lo button but without the torque......meant for low speed only not spinning aropund a speeds in a slipperly lot.........if equipped with an E80 a good way to blow the rear locker if you hit a dry patch.

Edited by Thomcat
additional info

Why are you using any kind of cruise control in a snowstorm? 

• Haha 1

If you have an E80 Eaton rear locker, it is locking up both rear wheels and what you are feeling is the clutching in the rear axle but if in 2WD the transfer case locks out the front axle driveshaft which should only rotate in 4WD and in AWD with the front wheels disengages.  If front axle or wheels engages in 2WD it is time for service, especially if the graphic in the DIC shows the front axle engages.

If you have a single speed transfer case with an "Off Road" button instead of a "4Lo" button a different matter. The Off Road button is a 4WD button simulating a 4Lo button but without the torque......meant for low speed only not spinning aropund a speeds in a slipperly lot.........if equipped with an E80 a good way to blow the rear locker if you hit a dry patch.

Yeah I can feel when the rear locker engages, my front wheels are engaging as I can feel the pull and it shows on the screen the front wheels being engaged.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Why are you using any kind of cruise control in a snowstorm? 
I'm not, just pointing out that the Ford would work but it also shows me in the screen a vehicle in front or not.

If the 2WD button is pressed and the DFIC graphic shows anything other than just the 2 rear wheels engaged it needs service. Also what  messages  does the dash info screen pop up?

Hitting the AWD or 4WD button should give a message saying 4WD shift in progress and DIC shows 4 wheels engagges......then hit the 2DW button and see if the message says that a wheel shift is in progress and then only the 2 rear wheels are lit in the graphic. If after that it still engages the front axle/wheels it is time for service.

If the 2WD button is pressed and the DFIC graphic shows anything other than just the 2 rear wheels engaged it needs service. Also what  messages  does the dash info screen pop up?

Hitting the AWD or 4WD button should give a message saying 4WD shift in progress and DIC shows 4 wheels engagges......then hit the 2DW button and see if the message says that a wheel shift is in progress and then only the 2 rear wheels are lit in the graphic. If after that it still engages the front axle/wheels it is time for service.
The message says lo traction in yellow, then the front wheels show green as it goes into AWD, then when wheel spin stops its back to normal 2wd.

I tried again in better traction but still less than dry pavement and soon as the truck detects wheel spin the front engages. The TC off light is on and the message screen says TC off and ESC off as well.

Even though you turn off TC and ESC the ESC will re-engage automatically at wheel speed above 35mph but TC will stay off so its the ESC kicking in your 4wd. The vehicle thinks its out of control by you sliding around and turning on ESC and applying brakes on the needed wheels to regain control also your front axle.

1 hour ago, AdamAT4 said:

I'm not, just pointing out that the Ford would work but it also shows me in the screen a vehicle in front or not.

I usually look through the windshield to see if there's a vehicle in front of me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

I usually look through the windshield to see if there's a vehicle in front of me. 

Darn i thought it was just to shield me from the wind. In a snow storm, or a real Canadian snow storm it can be pure whiteout and a small car with covered taillights can be hard to see. even a white big rig can be hard to see and many people have ran into trucks on the highway during heavy snow. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, AdamAT4 said:

... and many people have ran into trucks on the highway during heavy snow. 

...then they're simply driving too fast for the road and weather conditions.

so long

j-ten-ner

ok, ok,ok...I have to give you that many people are driving around w/o tail lights when it would be appropriate.

I don't know if this is just a Canadian thing, but especially in the morning commute, I see a lot of cars just with the DRL on.

Edited by j-ten-ner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

That has worked for me now for over 40 years..... 

The more you know......

• Like 2