My new truck gripes

...then they're simply driving too fast for the road and weather conditions.

so long
j-ten-ner

ok, ok,ok...I have to give you that many people are driving around w/o tail lights when it would be appropriate.
I don't know if this is just a Canadian thing, but especially in the morning commute, I see a lot of cars just with the DRL on.
Not to get off on a tangent but maybe you don't understand snow.

Tail lights are probably on and working but snow builds up and covers the entire back end, so bassically it's just a moving snow ball.

With big trucks on a hill in snow they may be just crawling, literally just a jogging speed on a highway that's 110kph or 70mph. A normal vehicle could maintain easily half to 70% that speed.

But anyways that's all irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, j-ten-ner said:

I have to give you that many people are driving around w/o tail lights when it would be appropriate.

I don't know if this is just a Canadian thing, but especially in the morning commute, I see a lot of cars just with the DRL on.

That drives me nuts. I wish the cops would do more patrols between dusk and dawn and pull these morons over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdamAT4 said:

... but maybe you don't understand snow..;.

Maybe I don't. But if you don't see an obstacle within your braking distance, you're driving too fast. 

1 hour ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

That drives me nuts. I wish the cops would do more patrols between dusk and dawn and pull these morons over. 

Second that. But that's something I was taught in driving school 35-ish years ago.

Nothing has changed since then. See and be seen. Simple as that.

so long

j-ten-ner

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdamAT4 said:

How do I not know how to operate my truck? Share your wisdom genius

A lot of people are still under the assumption your truck is in "AUTO" instead of 2WD.

Theres only three possibilities here.. your truck is in Auto, your switch is set to 2WD but your truck isnt taking the input correctly, or everything is correct and you're mistaken about it putting power to the front wheels.

No doubt you should be able to disable the auto 4wd.

• Like 1

A lot of people are still under the assumption your truck is in "AUTO" instead of 2WD.
Theres only three possibilities here.. your truck is in Auto, your switch is set to 2WD but your truck isnt taking the input correctly, or everything is correct and you're mistaken about it putting power to the front wheels.
No doubt you should be able to disable the auto 4wd.
There's no switch with the 20s they are just buttons.

I'll test again on ice to see if power is 100% positively getting sent to the front wheels.

At this point the only thing I'd like to do is lower my main tailgate when the smaller upper is open, the rest I can live with.

6 minutes ago, AdamAT4 said:

There's no switch with the 20s they are just buttons.

I'll test again on ice to see if power is 100% positively getting sent to the front wheels.

At this point the only thing I'd like to do is lower my main tailgate when the smaller upper is open, the rest I can live with.

knob/button whatever it is. Verify its working properly.

When they came out with these tailgates wasnt everyone bitchin about the tailgate being able to open with the upper which would cause contact with the hitch? Did they come out with a fix for this and cause more people to have an opposite gripe?

• Like 1

knob/button whatever it is. Verify its working properly.

When they came out with these tailgates wasnt everyone bitchin about the tailgate being able to open with the upper which would cause contact with the hitch? Did they come out with a fix for this and cause more people to have an opposite gripe?
With the bottom inside the truck it only releases the gate as a normal tailgate, but once you're at the tail gate I should be able to open whichever one. If I hit both buttons, both gates will open, so it's the same difference as opening the small part and the main 2and.

If you have a hitch and drop both it will wreck the gate

Just to be clear,  does your tailgate work the way you want it to without weight on it?  I'm not being a smarty pants,  just trying to be clear.  Mine works fine.  I can open either part of the gate from any position, but I have not tried it with weight on it,  so I'm thinking you either have a problem and need to take it to a dealer or you've just got too much weight on it for it to move.   Do you hear the release click when you push the button?

hey we drove in cars and trucks with far less technology and survived is way I look at it

I didn't even trust the rearview camera for well over 3 months....my eyes are what I am used to, and what I trust, and still use them more over the camera....

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 8:31 PM, wizard4878 said:

Just to be clear,  does your tailgate work the way you want it to without weight on it?  I'm not being a smarty pants,  just trying to be clear.  Mine works fine.  I can open either part of the gate from any position, but I have not tried it with weight on it,  so I'm thinking you either have a problem and need to take it to a dealer or you've just got too much weight on it for it to move.   Do you hear the release click when you push the button?

My 2020 Sierra will do either or. If i hit the top button, the top opens, but if i try and hit the bottom button to open it all the way, it will not go down. I think like posted before, it was a safety feature to prevent accidentally dropping it onto a trailer hitch. I think the more useful thing would just have a detent switch in the receiver that would disable that function when a hitch is placed. I believe there are aftermarket products like this. Anyway, if i have the tailgate completely closed, i can hit the bottom button to drop the entire tailgate, then the top button to lower the top part.

My new truck gripe:

1) My 5.3 8-speed feels like it is being rear ended any time I try to shift from park into drive and 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st are very noticeable shifts as well. Inexcusable. It's a truck at the end of the day and it's not enough for me to trade it, or go after GMC but it's a joke at the end of the day.

2) The back seat in the double cab is garbage. Extremely uncomfortable. There is plenty of space to do better than that IMO. 

3) Door sills scratch way too easily. It's one thing to use higher quality material and that is great, but how do you not use a more durable material in an area that is going to see heavy traffic? 

Love most of everything else and would by my truck over again when all is said and done as I only paid 42k for a fully loaded SLT (loaner w/ 2k miles) and there aren't a whole lot of quality full size vehicles you can buy with 2k miles for 42k, but the fact that GM overlooked these easily correctable issue (especially the tranny) is extremely disappointing given the quality of the rest of the vehicle. 

Anyway, if i have the tailgate completely closed, i can hit the bottom button to drop the entire tailgate, then the top button to lower the top part.

If your end goal is to open both gates then hit the top button first immediately followed by the bottom button. Main gate will drop and then a second later the secondary will too. Saves you from having to reach up under her skirt and look for the top gate button ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 4/2/2020 at 6:25 AM, Jav_eee said:

If your end goal is to open both gates then hit the top button first immediately followed by the bottom button. Main gate will drop and then a second later the secondary will too. Saves you from having to reach up under her skirt and look for the top gate button ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

With not much to do and my truck just sitting in the driveway i decided to figure out how to get the lower tail gate down AFTER the upper was previously lowered. 

Took all of 30 seconds, i just closed the latches so the truck thought the tailgate was closed then hit the button for the lower one and it worked. 

tomorrow i'm going to run it out of fuel and refill with 91, i got 2 gas cans in the back filled up and ready to test. 

if all goes well I may get a motofab 1" level for front and pick out some bags for the rear to it stays level once loaded.