Stolen, DFW, Southlake area my 2016 Sierra Denali

Bummer! I feel for you bro!

I had a motorcycle stolen from the West Side of NYC years ago. Good neighborhood too, West 76th near Central Park West. Strange feeling standing there with helmet in hand looking at the empty spot I know I parked in. I'll never forget that day and that was probably close to 40 years ago!

Just when you thought car jacking was a thing of the past...boom! Gone!

I guess from what is being said here, it's not that hard to beat the technology. Swap out computers? Master key? Really? I'm sure the first thing they do is somehow disable the On-Star, so that's probably useless.

Personally, after it's been taken, unless it's immediately found, I wouldn't want it back. It's either been beat to hell or stripped out. I'd be hoping for a new one at that point. Start making a wish list for your new truck.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poconojoe said:

Bummer! I feel for you bro!

I had a motorcycle stolen from the West Side of NYC years ago. Good neighborhood too, West 76th near Central Park West. Strange feeling standing there with helmet in hand looking at the empty spot I know I parked in. I'll never forget that day and that was probably close to 40 years ago!

Just when you thought car jacking was a thing of the past...boom! Gone!

I guess from what is being said here, it's not that hard to beat the technology. Swap out computers? Master key? Really? I'm sure the first thing they do is somehow disable the On-Star, so that's probably useless.

Personally, after it's been taken, unless it's immediately found, I wouldn't want it back. It's either been beat to hell or stripped out. I'd be hoping for a new one at that point. Start making a wish list for your new truck.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Yeah gm is behind in tech. Security for that matter. They use some code hopping to unlock. Then swap computers then likely a master key or pop the ignition. They can be off in 60 secs if they are fast. Its a damn shame.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 stolen from parking garage at UTSW in last month. Apparently just need a screwdriver. The first thing they do is disable onstar pulling down headliner to antenna. Gotta get me a kill switch...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One of the TV stations did a story on this exact topic a couple of weeks ago.  I think the total time was under 20 seconds for our trucks.  Felt great about seeing that a week after buying mine...

• Sad 1

I just looked at my PCU/ECU and I can get it unhooked in about 30 seconds with a little practice.  Does no good to bolt the PCU/ECU on as you can just connect a new one and let it hang there.  I did put a zip tie on the top connector but that won't slow them down much.  Going to put in a kill switch.

• Like 1

i was just looking at the 12 Volt bus on top of the battery. I am thinking that i will add a 200 Amp switch in line with the starter. Hide it under the front somewhere. 

Edited by PPK

lots of software and tech tools available to steal our trucks, i'm amaized its not more prevalent,, with everyone unemployed, thieves got free time 

onstar is disabled by cutting the gps antenna and disconnecting all antennas behind the radio.. i would rather they steal the whole truck and never find it, than just taking my tailgate...lol

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2020 at 4:11 PM, Snowcamo said:

Yeah gm is behind in tech. Security for that matter. They use some code hopping to unlock. Then swap computers then likely a master key or pop the ignition. They can be off in 60 secs if they are fast. Its a damn shame.

thats changing on the next gen vettes and the autonomus vehicles they will be putting out soon, you wont be able to modify anything in the future,  

Edited by flyingfool
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, flyingfool said:

thats changing on the next gen vettes and the autonomus vehicles they will be putting out soon, you wont be able to modify anything in the future,  

Man that sucks for guys wanting to upgrade or program for power. It's probably best though.

Keep in mind even if you get a kill switch they can tow it off... so many repo looking trucks running around it's easy to yank it around the corner and then disable whatever security system exists. If someone wants it bad enough they'll get it...I've had 5 vehicles stolen and only 1 recovered... one of the MANY reasons I enjoy being away from civilization.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2020 at 5:57 PM, Snowcamo said:

Man that sucks for guys wanting to upgrade or program for power. It's probably best though.

yeah its the beginning phase in for the autonomous stuff, since hackers will be attacking us, you don't want this to happen while your sipping your coffee and reading the paper on the way to work, when whammmm.. car goes full throttle and turns into the woods..

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2020 at 1:46 AM, camcamaro1991 said:

Stolen, DFW, Southlake TX area my 2016 Sierra Denali, Costco parking lot about 6:00pm 3/31/2020

Nothing from Onstar?  I reckon they have a policy not to say much if anything at all to the vehicle owners; lawyer malarkey and all.  The billions they spend on security development and still the bad guys get them.

Well, I just installed the shock and tilt sensors on mine, the alarm will sound if they jack it or smash it and then maybe the bad guys will get a bad case of lead poisoning if they hang around for the porch light to come on.

I'm perplexed on how some of you say swapping ECMs gets them started, doesn't make sense to me since they have to be VIN coded I thought.

Edited by swathdiver
grammar
  • Like 1