New to me 2000 GMC Sierra 1500

Hey guys, picked up a new to me truck last week and ive been doing some little tune up stuff to it while ive been stuck at home.  2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 with the 5.3.  Only 100,000 miles.  Single cab long bed and pretty rust free for being a Vermont truck.  I came from a 1998 Chevy but im familiar with the 5.3 as well.  Anything interesting to know about this year truck? Or helpful owner or past owner insights?

1 hour ago, Logan Lanfear said:

Pic for anyone curious

IMG_5506.JPG

Nice truck!  My 2000 Silverado (4.8) was a trouble free truck for the first 100k miles. Battery and brakes were my only costs beyond regular maintenance for my nine years of ownership.  I spoke to the subsequent owner five years later and a new starter was his only repair. Enjoy!

2 hours ago, Donstar said:

Nice truck!  My 2000 Silverado (4.8) was a trouble free truck for the first 100k miles. Battery and brakes were my only costs beyond regular maintenance for my nine years of ownership.  I spoke to the subsequent owner five years later and a new starter was his only repair. Enjoy!

This one needs rear brakes and rotors.  Im surprised to see that they have discs.  I know the axle was swapped from another GM truck or SUV.  The parking brake wasnt hooked back up so ill have to try and figure out if itll work with this axle.  

Mine has rear discs as well.  I think all the 2000's had rear disc brakes.  Oddly, mine seems to go through rear brakes faster than front.  I just replaced the rears again a few weeks ago. I seem to get about 80k out of the rears.  The fronts went well over 100k.

7 minutes ago, Mike GMC said:

Mine has rear discs as well.  I think all the 2000's had rear disc brakes.  Oddly, mine seems to go through rear brakes faster than front.  I just replaced the rears again a few weeks ago. I seem to get about 80k out of the rears.  The fronts went well over 100k.

Yeah the fronts on this one look worn but still have a lot of life in them.  It wouldn't surprise me if they were original but the rears are spanked for sure.  

1999-2002's had rear disc from the factory, just for general information. You also need to poke your head under there to see if you have single piston calipers or dual piston rear calipers. Makes brake pad shopping easier when you already know what you have.

And do not be surprised if you need new rear calipers. They are very prone to going bad. Be it leaking around the piston seal or have seized sliders. I've done many of those brake jobs and had the piston go back into the caliper but never want to come back out.

Edited by CamGTP