Intake valves at 104k miles.

Even with several of these threads out there it never hurts to show conditions on another engine with varying differences from others.

This is my truck which is a 2016 5.3 engine. I bought it with over 90,000 miles on the clock as a one owner trade in and as of today I turned 104,000 miles pulling into the driveway.

The AFM/DoD has been turned off for the last 8,000 miles and has been tuned be me since then as well. I installed a Flex Fuel sensor last spring/summer and ran random fuel blends until it got too cold outside here in Minnesota. For the last 30-40 days I've since switched back to E85 at the pump but right now it's only E60 because it's not the middle of summer where E70-E75 is possible.

The intake valves look great, sure there is some minor carbon build up but nothing compared to some. There is no catch can installed either and the intake manifold itself only had a slight film of oil from the PCV system.

20200402_121240[1].jpg

Edited by CamGTP
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ditto...Thanks for the pics. These don't look as bad as I would of thought. Nice job! what did you use to get the pics?

Just my phone. I took the manifold off to check everything out.

The plastic beauty cover thing is a pain in the ass to remove too. I slide the intake out from under it, then cut the clips from the backside that hold the wire harness to it and remove the cover from there. Lets just say I didn't put new push clips back in.

• Like 2

what oil and viscosity you use?

i switched to the 5w-30 redline and my catch can might catch 20cc's of oil every 500 miles.. i think oil consimption issues are due to poor engine break in of the origional owner

Edited by flyingfool

I use the Napa 0W20 oil, it's made by Valvoline but cheaper haha.

I only drive 5,000 miles a year and change it twice a year. During those 6 months the oil level never drops and I do drive with a heavier foot. Not that I break speed limits but more like I put the hammer down often enough.

• Thanks 2

Hard to say if running E85 has helped any. I doubt I'd do it but looking at them again in another year could see if anything changed. The first picture does show that it's cleaner right at the valve opening. I think that was cylinder 2 or 4, so seeing what that looked liked later on would be kinda interesting.

Holiday took away their E85 pump in town. So now only Speedway sells E85 and the Kwik Trip in Otsego has it.

22 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

Hard to say if running E85 has helped any. I doubt I'd do it but looking at them again in another year could see if anything changed. The first picture does show that it's cleaner right at the valve opening. I think that was cylinder 2 or 4, so seeing what that looked liked later on would be kinda interesting.

Holiday took away their E85 pump in town. So now only Speedway sells E85 and the Kwik Trip in Otsego has it.

Just a point of logic. If the back side is dirty, as the boy claim, because the additives in the fuel don't ever reach that place, what help would E-85 give that detergents in E-10 87 can't? Just a thought. 

• Like 1

My only thought was that if it was possible for fuel swirl around and touch the intake valve before it closed all the way that the E85 would do more than E10. Perhaps if someone changed up the injection timing it could give it a better chance but this is just thinking out loud.

Edited by CamGTP

Decent photos!  Finally, somebody puts a photo of their valve/valves you can actually see?  Those are 100% absolutely FINE!  If it was my truck I would run it another 5-10K and get rid of it and buy a FERD before you have issues...imo.?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1