Help! Wheels and tires/ truck drives like garbage.

I bought my truck new in November and did this exact setup I saw on rough country’s facebook page. (In pictures). The problem is it drives Soooo bad. Hud shakes/ it’s all over the place in the wind. Tires are so loud. It drove 100% better before. I’m town between these options:

1. Trade in. 
2. Get new wheels and tires setup (learning towards 22” wheels currently have 20s)

3. Get new tires on these fuel wheels. 

If I do options 1/ or 2 is it likely to drive nearly stock? Right now it’s horrible. Thanks in advance for any help. Right now I literally hate driving it and drive my other car most of the time. 

D3FE99A8-6448-420C-9C93-F082DB3CEE97.png

31328F1E-0218-44BB-A68C-D95E3AC811B5.jpeg

71E32B4E-AB03-423E-A78E-FD5E8B4472B0.png

22s are gonna make the ride a lot stiffer. Less rubber to dampen any bumps or imperfections. I can’t see the last 2 pics but what tires do you have on there now?

Also, what pressure are you running them at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just now, Jav_eee said:

22s are gonna make the ride a lot stiffer. Less rubber to dampen any bumps or imperfections. I can’t see the last 2 pics but what tires do you have on there now?

9A5BB411-F154-48E2-B2AF-5F9ECEA49D07.png

1 minute ago, Jav_eee said:

FC573004-99D6-4AF0-A744-A4AA3F541682.jpeg

What size are the tires though?

If they are LT tires on a half ton, that is part of your problem as well. Not only are they a heavy duty tire they are more than likely 20-30lbs heavier per tire plus the added weight of those large rims. All that can make the ride worse.

22 and mud tires is not going to ride like a sedan.....and to think we used to do this so we could hear the tires hum in 80s...

its gonna be stiffer no matter what...if your looking for Cadillac ride get some radials, the noise is the mud terrains cant do much about that...

air pressure may help but 22 on mud tires is what it is

beautiful truck btw

you have a spacer lift ?....that stiffens up front end as well

Edited by Dunn
  • Like 1

Nitto does make two other tires that are not mud tires, so you could try either of those. The Terra Grappler is going to way more tame compared to a mud tire. The Ridge Grappler is more aggressive but still not a mud tire.

Edited by CamGTP

Yeah like others said it’s the rim/tire setup you have. Have you thought about doing a TB lift instead to ease the front ride? My stock TB rides pretty smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Stock Bridgestone Alenzas on factory 275/60R 22"s no lift, no nothing and after a road force balance and 1K break-in on the shocks and springs ride is nice and smooth.....only noisy on concrete roadways. Ride is at least as good on my former knobby 18"s on my former Z71 and the handling in turns with a normal tread road tire is far superior.

Like others have said, trail grapplers are a mud tire and I can tell you from experience they ride like crap. Being a 20” wheel with minimal sidewall likely only makes it worse. Swap the tires for an all terrain and you’ll be much happier. Do not go to a 22” wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What everyone else said. 

Cheap level kit hurts the ride

Smaller side wall tire hurts the ride

Mud tire design hurts the ride

LT rated tire hurts the ride

Wheel/tire set up weight hurts the ride

Something you may want to check is if the shop installed hub-centric rings. If they didn't that will contribute also. 

Change to a p rated all terrain tire closer to a stock size. Double check the hub ring. Road force balance. Doing those things will probably fix you right up. If not pull the level kit and put the factory wheels back on. Why would you trade it in? You said it was great before the changes.