hi, just pickup 2020 silverado custom crew cab with short bed. 

i had a colorado before and everything i needed came with it but silverado doesn't comes with anything unless you pay for it i guess...  my main focus was the color. gray. i had black before and never again. they only had this truck on the lot so i picked it up. 

right now i am trying to figure out how to put on a new trailer hitch and found this under my new truck under the back bumper. can someone tell me what this is and how i can get a class 3 hitch on this setup without cutting the two "tow bar?" have no idea what they are called.  i'm guessing it's some sort of OEM hitch? no clue.  it seams all the wires are already there for the trailer so i just ordered the adapter. 

thanks in advance for your help. 

image21504.jpg

image21506.jpg

image21502.jpg

Edited by thomasnj
added more info

1 hour ago, thomasnj said:

hi, just pickup 2020 silverado custom crew cab with short bed. 

i had a colorado before and everything i needed came with it but silverado doesn't comes with anything unless you pay for it i guess...  my main focus was the color. gray. i had black before and never again. they only had this truck on the lot so i picked it up. 

right now i am trying to figure out how to put on a new trailer hitch and found this under my new truck under the back bumper. can someone tell me what this is and how i can get a class 3 hitch on this setup without cutting the two "tow bar?" have no idea what they are called.  i'm guessing it's some sort of OEM hitch? no clue.  it seams all the wires are already there for the trailer so i just ordered the adapter. 

thanks in advance for your help. 

image21504.jpg

image21506.jpg

image21502.jpg

Looks like safety chain hookup points if your pulling from your bumper with a ball

yes, it is the OEM hitch setup that can't handle as much weight as you normally can with a class 4 hitch that has the receiver just under the bumper. You will need to cut out the plastic step cover in the middle of your bumper where the license plate is and bolt the size hitch ball your trailer has installed. Those hooks on the bottom are for your chains to hook onto.

thanks everyone. that makes sense. i will have to look up the load capacity. if too weak then i'll pick up a regular hitch and put it in. 

i found a company that has the right hitch for this and they even have a video how to install. 

https://videos.etrailer.com/static/images/video/install-curt-class-3-trailer-hitch-reciever-2019-chevrolet-silverado-1500-c13393.webm

it looks better to install the new hitch over using the bumper i think.

thanks again.