2020 HD Plant Production

I don’t know if anyone has done what I did but. It was mid February when I made my trade and they asked if it would be ok if they have my truck early and at the time I New I wouldn’t need it till mid to late May for fishing to pull my boat. We’ll with the Flint plant shutting down and the dealership selling my truck in the meantime. I’m in bad shape for fishing now. What kind of deal can I make with the dealership without costing me to use a truck?

7 hours ago, Toops said:

I don’t know if anyone has done what I did but. It was mid February when I made my trade and they asked if it would be ok if they have my truck early and at the time I New I wouldn’t need it till mid to late May for fishing to pull my boat. We’ll with the Flint plant shutting down and the dealership selling my truck in the meantime. I’m in bad shape for fishing now. What kind of deal can I make with the dealership without costing me to use a truck?

Have you spoke to the dealer about this?

Clearly, the deal was made assuming 'normal' order delivery time.  Maybe there is something they can/will do to lease/rent/loan you a truck til yours arrives.

Don't forget that it's not just the Flint that needs to be back to work to build trucks.

So does every supplier plant.  

And they are spread all over. 

Is there anyone on here with knowledge of when the plants are thinking about opening? I see some speculation online, just curious if there are any GM employees on here that might know more than the average bear.

On 4/19/2020 at 9:48 PM, Tampa_HD said:

Is there anyone on here with knowledge of when the plants are thinking about opening? I see some speculation online, just curious if there are any GM employees on here that might know more than the average bear.

I have a friend whose son works at the Flint plant. He told me that even when the Flint plant opens, stay at home order would need to be lifted in 4 OTHER states before they could make trucks again because they depend on those states for essential parts. 

He said one current rumor floating around the plant is that when they fore back up, they will be making 2021's. The other current rumor has them making enough 2020's only to satisfy pre existing orders before they switch to 2021's.

One fall out of this, just MY opinion, is that there will be very few changes between the 20's and the 21's as there wont be much time to refit the line. That would be true amongst all manufactures. 

44 minutes ago, migrabill said:

I have a friend whose son works at the Flint plant. He told me that even when the Flint plant opens, stay at home order would need to be lifted in 4 OTHER states before they could make trucks again because they depend on those states for essential parts. 

He said one current rumor floating around the plant is that when they fore back up, they will be making 2021's. The other current rumor has them making enough 2020's only to satisfy pre existing orders before they switch to 2021's.

One fall out of this, just MY opinion, is that there will be very few changes between the 20's and the 21's as there wont be much time to refit the line. That would be true amongst all manufactures. 

Thanks for the information. Looks like our trucks will be near twins. I got an almost identical truck, it's just a 3500 with long bed instead.

Ultimately, you need a plan for every part in the plant.  There are parts that come from the whole world.  It only takes one that you can't build around or substitute to keep it from opening.  

GM has plants China and South Korea that have reopened so they have some experience in keeping their employees safe.  They also have been running the Arlington plant some to build out the 2020 SUVs.  

They are going to build 2020s for a while once they reopen.  They can legally build 2020s to December if they like.  

#iworkforGM 

MTU Alum is correct that the parts are sourced globally and that can impact production, however,  many of those overseas products are brought stateside and warehoused with 3rd parties to maintain a consistent supply of parts.  The pipeline was flowing right up until the closure so there were parts already here or on the way that would have made it by now.  GM also has a team whose sole purpose is disaster correction.  I am sure those team members have been working around the clock to fill the pipeline and ensure suppliers are ready to roll when they are asked to.  It would not be out the norm to move equipment or production locations to areas less affected.  Flint is most likely to be the first plant that fires up due to how hot the product is as well as the profit margins they see.  As for the suppliers in the US, I know in NY there are 3 GM sites that supply Flint Assembly and NY has deemed them "essential".  I do not have knowledge of other states but I would suspect that it is a similar situation. 

We had a supplier of ours lose their entire facility about 20 years ago.  The entire place burned to the ground with all the presses and molds.  We sent our skilled trades, engineers and utilized outside contractors to remove all the tooling, repair it and had it up and running in another building without disruption to the company.  Its amazing the amount of money and resources that become available when it looks like it will shut down an assembly facility.  GM as well as the other manufacturers lose millions per day that they do not build vehicles.   

Anyone who ordered a 2020 is not likely to see it anytime soon.  If things hold true like the strike, the TPW will NOT change and they will try to catch up so you will not know if the order gets built until the truck arrives.  2020 orders WILL NOT automatically get upgraded to 2021 models. They could also continue to built 2020 models late into 2020 if they have enough sold order.  They will cancel orders that cannot be built and the dealer would have to submit a  new order based on his current allocation.  There will likely be a lot of constraints.

Ordering a vehicle is no guarantee that GM will build it.

BREAKING: Gov. Whitmer set to extend "Stay Home, Stay Safe" order until May 15   

LANSING, Mich. - Sources tell TV6 & FOX UP that Governor Gretchen Whitmer is ready to extend her controversial “Stay Home, Stay Safe” order until May 15.

Governor Whitmer says more details will be provided during a press conference at 11:00 a.m. ET Friday.

It is set to expire on April 30.

Meanwhile, the Michigan Legislature scheduled a session for Friday, saying they want to pass bills that would limit Whitmer's emergency powers.

Sources also confirm the governor is likely to reopen some businesses that have limited contact with the general population on May 1.

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1

I saw some news that they were requesting some people to come back to the plants to start warming them back up for production, I wonder how this aligns with the extended (with slightly reduced restrictions) stay at home order for Michigan? Only time will tell if my truck ever shows up. 

The original plan was May 4 restart and the stay at home extension to May 15 has put a damper on it.  Automotive is deemed essential in Michigan so they could technically reopen before May 15.  

I don't see the UAW going against the governor's stay home at this point.  UAW and governor are in bed together so I expect the UAW to support the governor.  

11 hours ago, elcamino said:

Anyone who ordered a 2020 is not likely to see it anytime soon.  If things hold true like the strike, the TPW will NOT change and they will try to catch up so you will not know if the order gets built until the truck arrives.  2020 orders WILL NOT automatically get upgraded to 2021 models. They could also continue to built 2020 models late into 2020 if they have enough sold order.  They will cancel orders that cannot be built and the dealer would have to submit a  new order based on his current allocation.  There will likely be a lot of constraints.

Ordering a vehicle is no guarantee that GM will build it.

I called my dealer the other day and his boss was in a conference call with GM. The tentative date for Flint plant to start up is first week in May. I also asked him about parts for the GMC Sierra 2500hd  AT4 and he said my truck was far enough long in the build schedule that all the parts to build my truck were present and accounted for at the plant so if they fire up the truck can be built with that plant alone. Not familiar on how truck building goes but it sounds like he knew his stuff. Crossing my fingers.