P/N to get rid of front plate bracket

I bought my truck out of Illinois, which requires a front bracket on all vehicles sold.  I have dealt with it since Ohio has required a front plate (though I don't have front plates or brackets on my BMW or wife's Audi).

Ohio finally smartened up and as of July 1st, front plates aren't required.  That means I need to get parts together to get rid of the bracket.  I haven't really looked to see what it will take but assume someone has the parts list already.  

Here is my bracket cover for the license plate. It came with my truck when new. Off a 2015I GMC 2500 SLT

Don't know if it has the right number for your truck.

Sierra Boy

IMG_6008.JPG

Edited by Sierra Boy

• 1 month later...

Anyone have a P/N?  The one pictured above is for a HD truck which is likely different as the front end is different (and didn't get the '16 update).  Further, those numbers pictured didn't cross reference anything.

I need to get this ordered in the next week or so.

On my Sierra 1500 I simply drilled out the rivets holding the plastic bracket on to remove it. All you are left with is 2 small holes that are barely noticeable.350750c6ad06c4d0ae81146e06796b4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, maybe I am more picky than some, but I drilled out the rivets on Tuesday, pull the bracket and the 4 holes look like total crap.  Not sure how everyone else had two as mine had 4 and 3 of them didn't want to come out nicely.

So again, anyone have the P/N?  I could order 4 bumper plugs, but all the decent ones are $20+ that could go toward fixing this correctly.  

Edited by Nitrousbird

Doing some additional research, it appears this piece is called a "Skid Plate" which really isn't an accurate term for the piece, but whatever.

I've found three part numbers:

23243492 - This is the Denali chrome piece.  I (unfortunately) have chrome bumpers, so this would look awful

23243493 - This is referred to as "paint to match".

23243494 - Black, grained.  It seems this is referenced as the base model unit and doesn't really look like my stocker

This one on eBay looks close:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Skid-Plate-Front-for-GMC-Sierra-1500-Truck-2016-2019-GM1015122-23243493/233312813534?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649]

I'd prefer an OE piece, but it is just plastic and it doesn't appear anything matches OE unless I go with the 23243493, and getting the piece paint matched is more invested in work than I'd like.  Thoughts?

Edited by Nitrousbird

GMC GM OEM 14-15 Sierra 1500 Front Bumper-Center Cover 22877652

Its called a jack plug cover. I got this one off ebay as all the GM sites said it was on backorder.

Brand: GM
Part Number: 22877652
Item Condition: New
Item Description: Center Cover
Manufacturer Brand Description: Center Cover-Ref# 9 on Diagram Only
Color: Gray
Quantity Needed: 1;
Fitment Notes: Diag Ref #9;2014-15 Gmc Trim Components;Gray;
Position: Front Center

Edited by Swagfu

13 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Okay, maybe I am more picky than some, but I drilled out the rivets on Tuesday, pull the bracket and the 4 holes look like total crap.  Not sure how everyone else had two as mine had 4 and 3 of them didn't want to come out nicely.

So again, anyone have the P/N?  I could order 4 bumper plugs, but all the decent ones are $20+ that could go toward fixing this correctly.  

Would you mind posting pictures? When I drilled out my rivets I only had 2 holes (and they are in the black section above the chrome "skid plate" and are completely hidden unless you are looking for them.

10 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Don't think that will fit a 16 - 18, as they changed the front end.

Ah. Sorry, I am new to the truck and don't know all the differences. Figures one of my first posts and I screw it up. Oh well, I am sure there will be many more. Might as well start early ;o)

1 hour ago, BigBlue2014 said:

Would you mind posting pictures? When I drilled out my rivets I only had 2 holes (and they are in the black section above the chrome "skid plate" and are completely hidden unless you are looking for them.

Ignore the dust- that's before I cleaned under the plate:

20200630-175747-HDR.jpg

5 hours ago, Swagfu said:

Ah. Sorry, I am new to the truck and don't know all the differences. Figures one of my first posts and I screw it up. Oh well, I am sure there will be many more. Might as well start early ;o)

You tried to help, with a very good effort, so good job!

We all (most) are on here to learn about the trucks, so keep trying, no one has a 1000 batting average.