In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Code p06dd 2014 Silverado

Hello,

I had the check engine light on my 2018 Siverado 5.3 with 36K on it, came on, great local shop said it was P06DD.

Reset the error after testing pressures and checking for leaks etc. From this forum, and online chat, it seems this will be a problem again. Love my truck, but don't want those headaches. My 2006 Duramax never had a problem at all.

Time to rethink this brand of gas truck. Oh heck.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

My 2014 Silverado which I purchase new, has been throwing the P066DD code intermittently for  3 years now.  I have no performance problems that I can tell.  My engine is the V6.  With the Check Eng. Light on the engine will not drop into the V4 mode.  After 50-100 miles of driving it will again start to drop into the V4 mode and shortly after that the code will clear itself.  This will only last for a few days at which time the entire cycle repeats itself. It's almost like clockwork.  I do regular oil/filter changes and my oil pressure is consistently between 45-55 psi.  My problem is that in the state of NJ and Check engine light will fail you for inspection so I have to time it right..  LOL

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.   

Edited by fmblizz
additional information..

I am dealing with this code P06DD, I would clear the code and when it switched to V4 mode it would immediately switch back to V6 mode and then give me a pending P06DD.  I noticed my temp would never go past 180, my thermostat was stuck. Replaced it now it goes to 210 and the code disappeared.. for a little while. Now it comes back on at random every now and then.  Seems like when I am accelerating hard.  I am curious about what you said about your oil pressure though.  You said yours stays between 45-55.  Before I replaced the thermostat my oil pressure never went below 45, after I replaced it when the engine gets hot and I stop it will go on back to 20-30 range , and when I accelerate hard it will climb up to 60 sometimes past that.  I was told that was the correct range of the oil pressure with this engine. You might have a thermostat that is starting to fail, what is your temperature like ?

Posted (edited)

My engine temp usually runs in the area of 205.   I've been dealing with this for like I said 3 years.  I don't clear the code because the code clears itself after a few days..  The agency I purchased the truck from wanted to replace the oil pump at a cost of $2300 and that was 3 years ago citing I could be damaging   my engine.  Oil pressure seems to be running high all the time but as long as I have pressure, and I watch it like a hawk,  I'm not spending the money which is now in the $2600 range I'm hearing.  Maybe I'll look into the thermostat at some point but I've always been a believer if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Edited by fmblizz

I understand what you mean.  I talked to an engineer that used to work for Toyota, he says that the ECU is in another mode until the engine gets "hot." Once it gets to this point then it starts changing things.  He said that GM wants the engine to get to its "hot" temperature as quickly as possible because that's where it's most efficient. He claims that the ECU will do everything it can to get the engine to that temperature including putting the 2 stage oil pump in high mode to increase oil pressure to warm it up more quickly.  If you are running 205 and under your failing thermostat could be causing your computer to "flirt with being in warm mode" if that makes sense.  That would explain why it is intermittent.  Everyone I have talked to with a 4.3 and 5.3 said the temperature goes to 210 and then stays there and doesn't move... If it is at 205 and fluctuating at all I would say your thermostat is starting to fail.  It's a very cheap part and very easy to replace, might be worth it. My oil pressure was high all the time before I replaced my stuck thermostat. It really never went under 50. As soon as I replaced it when it got hot, she dropped on back to just above 20 at idle. My code was coming back on every now and then but I figured out my oil was about 1.5 quarts low because I was always checking it on an incline.  Filled it up to where it is supposed to be and haven't seen the check engine light since, I also put an AC Delco filter on at the same time, and a new oil drain plug(because the o ring was flattened where someone had over-tightened it and had slow leak), and filled the coolant reservoir back up where I lost antifreeze when I replaced the thermostat.  I have heard people that had the P06DD and needed the oil pump replaced, however theirs was actually "stuck off" and their oil pressure was @ 70 all the time.  Also another thing is the oil pressure sensor filter screen. I don't know if you have tried replacing the oil pressure sensor yet, but there is a plug about 3-4 inches back from it you take the plug out and there is a screen filter down it (you have to pull out with needle nose pliers) if it is dirty the oil pressure sensor can be getting the wrong readings and cause this code.  I honestly think your problem is not the pump, its something stupid like my problem was lol.  Also, do you have dexos 1 approved oil in it? Make sure it isn't the "high mileage" oil because it has extra additives that make it thicker, and a thicker oil can trigger P06DD by being the wrong viscosity.  For example a 5w-30 high mileage oil is really similar to a 0w-40 is what I read somewhere.  If you ask me these vehicles are getting way to sensitive, just like a woman, everything has to be just right. haha