DRW w/Michelin Primacy All Terrains - Steering Wheel Shake is Back!!!

I posted some time ago that my DRW had the steering wheel shake. I had taken it to America's Tire, and they replaced one front tire, as it was way out of spec on road force. Michelin covered it. It seemed to fix the issue for about 2-weeks. Went back, and the other was way out - replaced that one and got it within spec.  Did not help.

Took it to the dealer last week, and they road forced them, tried the reprogram, etc. No difference and told "That's all GM will authorize us to do."

I had asked them to perform an alignment, as it is definitely off, and I think it may be the cause or at least a contributing factor. They did not do it. Going back Tuesday for that and hoping it helps.

This is really starting to piss me off, and I miss my 2015. America's Tire talked to Michelin, and I could swap out all 6 Primacy XC's for AT 2's, but I am not sure it would help.

Looking for insights or ideas. Thanks in advance.

And as a bonus, the dumb-a$$ dealer put a deep scratch in one of my rims - all the way around it right in the center section.

I would check your piloting on your front two wheels.  Take a lug nut off on each side and see if wheel stud is centered in the hole of the wheel.  If not, ideally buy a couple lug nuts with tapers and install two on each wheel 180 deg apart with rest of lugs off or lose.   The two lugs with taper will center the wheel on the pilot. 

#iworkforGM 

15 hours ago, MTU Alum said:

I would check your piloting on your front two wheels.  Take a lug nut off on each side and see if wheel stud is centered in the hole of the wheel.  If not, ideally buy a couple lug nuts with tapers and install two on each wheel 180 deg apart with rest of lugs off or lose.   The two lugs with taper will center the wheel on the pilot. 

#iworkforGM 

Holy crap, dude. You were right! Hard to see in the pics, but both fronts were completely clocked to one side. I happened to have an old set of tapered lugs from a Camaro that fit perfectly.  Got them centered and went for a 12-mile test drive or so.  Shake is 90% better!!! I am thinking the alignment may get me to 100%, and/or what I still feel could be how these trucks just transmit everything to the steering wheel.

GM needs to send out a TSB on this.  Dealer obviously had no idea the rims should have been mounted this way.  Interesting, too, that the dealer spoke with GM engineering more than once while working on my truck.

Thanks, Man!!!

IMG_6803.jpeg

IMG_6804.JPG

Update: I had tested the truck on a road where I always had significant shake. After the above, it was nearly gone. However, I later noticed moderate shake on a different, very smooth road.

Had the alignment performed today, and it was out enough to be covered under warranty.  Both fronts were negative toe/toe out.  So the fronts were working against each other, with the right being more out at -.22.  It seemed to help a bit on the smooth road mentioned above, but I didn't drive it much. Also eliminated a significant pull to the right.

Will update in a week or so. If it still needs improvement, I am going to add a steering stabilizer and see what that does.  Suspension Maxx makes a bolt on.

This affected 2011-2019 but I wonder if this carries over for 2020 as the aluminum duals seem to be the same wheels:

#PIT5451C: Vibration at Highway Speeds - (Feb 25, 2019)
Subject:  Vibration at Highway Speeds

999999995.gif

Brand:

Model:

Model Year:

VIN:

Engine:

Transmission:

from

to

from

to

Chevrolet

Silverado 3500 Dual Rear Wheel

2011-2018

All *See Note

All *See Note

All

All

GMC

Sierra 3500 Dual Rear Wheel

2011-2018

All *See Note

All *See Note

All

All

With Polished Aluminum Wheels (RPO RS7) 

Supersession Statement

This PI was superseded to update the Model Years.  Please discard PIT5451A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment on a vibration at highway speed.

Recommendation/Instructions

When using the Pico Scope for diagnostics, a technician may note a 1st order tire/wheel vibration and the concern will still be present after performing Road Force Balancing of the wheel/tire assemblies.

Inspect the front aluminum wheel hub openings for a rolled lip of aluminum in the hub opening (shown below.)

Object ID: 4252593

Object ID: 4252590

This is caused when the wheel is not centered on the hub and is then forced over the hub extension centering lip (shown below) during torqueing of the wheel. These wheels MUST be manually tightened down to properly center the wheel on the hub before torqueing.  If this condition is found, replace the affected wheel.

Object ID: 4926380

Object ID: 4926381

Thanks, guys.  They said they did all of the required programming, and, since the alignment, the shake is dramatically better.  that is with about 100 miles since.  However, the wheels are definitely a carry-over from previous years.  Also, as you can see in my pictures, the wheels were definitely not centered when I pulled them previously.  This could indicate that they were improperly installed and I will have to pull the fronts and check for the lip...

Update: Noticed the shake was still there, but not as bad, at around 70 MPH on a smooth road...I installed the Suspension Maxx steering stabilizer today and went back on the same roads - it definitely helped. After all I have done, I would say the shake is 95% better.  I hope it sticks.  I really like the steering stabilizer, as it adds a bit of resistance and makes it feel like my 2015 3/4 ton - not like my wife's Acadia.

I really do think there is still an issue with programming.  I hope GM gets it right, but at least my truck is to the point where I enjoy driving it.

I tried Dan's solution and installed the "Suspension Maxx steering stabilizer" on my 2020 Silverado 3500 single wheel.   I have only drove 15 miles of rough rode but so far I am very happy with it.   It was worth the $150 and a hour to install

Edited by Thomas E

32 minutes ago, Thomas E said:

I tried Dan's solution and installed the "Suspension Maxx steering stabilizer" on my 2020 Silverado 3500 single wheel.   I have only drove 15 miles of rough rode but so far I am very happy with it.   It was worth the $150 and a hour to install

Glad to hear it. I am very happy with mine as well.  I can say now that my steering shake is 99% gone. I think the tires needed to "re-wear" properly after the alignment.  Make sure you have your alignment checked if you still have the steering wheel shake/vibration.  I would say that made the biggest difference on mine.