Brand new truck lower on one side?

Jdw3

I purchased a 2019 Silverado LD Z71, brand new. It has 240 miles on it now.

I noticed the drivers side looks lower from the back. I measured the rear fenders, and it's 1" lower on the drivers side. 

What can the dealer do about this? Can the suspension be adjusted? There is zero load on it, empty bed.

The fuel tank is on the drivers side, that is why. When you have maybe 1/8th tank they are more close to level.

Most call it the chevy lean. They have been doing it for 20+ years.

$20 says the dealership will it's normal and they won't do anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CamGTP said:

The fuel tank is on the drivers side, that is why. When you have maybe 1/8th tank they are more close to level.

Gotta love all those GM nuances over the years...so predictable too!  Does not make it crap but usually it's new folks to GM and their products is all. 

Hell, I gave up driving Chrysler because of the whole Ignition orientation....well, I never bought or would but my friends would never let me drive on because I couldn't get the key in.

Edited by mookdoc6

2 hours ago, Jdw3 said:

I purchased a 2019 Silverado LD Z71, brand new. It has 240 miles on it now.

I noticed the drivers side looks lower from the back. I measured the rear fenders, and it's 1" lower on the drivers side. 

What can the dealer do about this? Can the suspension be adjusted? There is zero load on it, empty bed.

Welcome to the chevy lean. This one may be a little more drastic than others. As the others have said, nothing wrong with taking it in to have them check it over. While youre out there, bring your tape measure and check some of the other trucks on the lot.

2 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Only betting $20? I'd throw my paycheck down on that one.

Theres only a half tank in it now. I wouldn't have thought the weight of a tank of gas would do that. But I'll check with them on it, providing they are open. 

This is common, if not normal.  I noticed it on my 2018 and my 2020.  Its hard to realistically know how much it is off unless you are certain the truck is parked on perfectly level ground, so I wouldn't get too concerned with measurement from truck to truck.  The suspension is not really "adjustable".

14 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Most call it the chevy lean. They have been doing it for 40+ years.

Since the 

11 hours ago, Jetiemann said:

Welcome to the pickup truck lean

Fixed that for ya'll...

It has nothing to do with Chevy, all brands have this issue. Search any forums and you will see threads about a drives side lean. More of the instrumentation is on the drivers side as well as the gas tank and the drivers weight so the drivers side does sit a little lower in most cases. Some sit level or close and others are a little more off, that can be chalked up to differences in how the parts go together. Either way there is no difference in spring or shock tuning side to side, so if one side has a few hundred pounds more resting and pushing on it physics dictate it will be slightly different, this is especially true as time goes on. 1 inch is towards the high end but before you complain make sure the tires are correct, tank is relatively empty and you are on a level surface as any variation will change the reading.

Tyler

• Like 2

I will add my voice to those who suggest reporting this concern.  Keep a list of questions/concerns to share with your service advisor at your first service visit. Make sure s/he lists all of your concerns on the work order and the technician will have a comment added to your final invoice for each item.   This does not mean I believe there is something wrong with your truck, but I'm suggesting that your concerns be on record.  

Edited by Donstar
  • Like 1