Water stain on headliner at rear hatch

Good morning.   I've seen all the posts about the leaking sharkfin, however I doubt that is the cause of this; this is occurring at the opposite corner of the headliner.

I noticed last week a good size stain on the headliner at the back/passenger corner. 

2019 Tahoe w/ 15k miles, no mods, no crashes.  I haven't been able to find anything in the search here or the google machine.  Has anyone seen this??

Photo Apr 16, 9 20 11 AM.jpg

I have not seen it either, but I still wouldn't discount the shark fin because you know it has been known to leak.  If the shark fin is leaking, you were traveling at speed limit, in decent rainy conditions, it could be the shark fin.  The only other items attached to the roof is the two top siderails.  I believe the lip above the liftglass is welded.  

2 hours ago, The Zip said:

I have not seen it either, but I still wouldn't discount the shark fin because you know it has been known to leak.  If the shark fin is leaking, you were traveling at speed limit, in decent rainy conditions, it could be the shark fin.  The only other items attached to the roof is the two top siderails.  I believe the lip above the liftglass is welded.  

Ok!  I am slightly suspecting the two wire harnesses that pass through from the roofline to the hatch because they're in that corner of the cargo area.  However I can't see any obvious reasons for it leaking there. 

Update:

After overnight rain, I was able to track down the leak.

I found water and water marks on the area of the lower D pillar, and when pulling at the liftgate trim some water dropped out. 

I removed the trim and found water above the lower metal of the roof.

Upon further inspection I found water dripping out of the connector that connects the body to the liftgate.  I'm presuming the gasket that seals the connector has failed.

I'm currently at Chevy having it looked at to determine a course of action.   Will be interesting to see what they'll do about the stained headliner.

Photo Apr 24, 6 51 25 AM.jpg

Photo Apr 24, 6 51 30 AM.jpg

Photo Apr 24, 6 51 33 AM.jpg

Photo Apr 24, 6 52 07 AM.jpg

Photo Apr 24, 6 54 49 AM.jpg

Photo Apr 24, 6 55 46 AM.jpg

Photo Apr 24, 6 57 34 AM.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I just noticed this on my 2020 Tahoe today... headliner stained in the same exact spot.. I’ve always noticed small amount of water in cargo area after car washes but always thought maybe it got in after opening hatch... only have 9k miles on it so I’m definitely taking it in to see what they will do about it... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
29 minutes ago, 2018LT said:

Any update to how the issue was resolved? I just bought a used 2018 Tahoe and have the same issue. Noticed it after taking it through the car wash the first time...

This is certainly not what we like to hear, 2018LT.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2018 Tahoe. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: 2018LT/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

It's usually the plastic "backbone" inside the harness that breaks, causing it not to seal. 

If you're lucky, it just came loose and you can click it back into place.  If not, it needs a new one usually.