New Truck with the Wrong Door?

Hey, I am new to the forum since I just bought my first GMC Sierra 1500 AT4. I just took my 2020 truck home and realized one of the passenger doors does not match the other three. It has all of the wrong window trim, wrong door handle, and wrong interior trim installed. They appear to be from an SLE model. The dealer is telling me it must have been built that way at the factory. They are going to try to replace everything to match the AT4 trim level, but of course some of the parts are on national backorder. Has anyone run into this before? 

This is proof that they do not wax the vehicles before they give them to you.  They charge you for the service ($100) i think. Any shop worker detailing the truck would have caught this.   SMH.  I had an issue where the back door wouldn't open because the locks wouldn't disengage.  I think my new truck was back in the shop three times in the first week.  Part of me thinks the shop is there to make $ so they wont say anything and then they can charge the work back to the manufacture for time spent but what do i know?

I've seen it a lot, many different things can be screwed up, I ordered 294 for Rangers in 1 order, all ordered identical, some came in with different wheels side to side, different door panels, buckets seats or bench seats different radios, different trim level mudflaps. It's pretty strange and mostly the dealers catch the issues before they sell the vehicles but some get missed. 

24 minutes ago, Rocky Mountain At4 said:

Hey, I am new to the forum since I just bought my first GMC Sierra 1500 AT4. I just took my 2020 truck home and realized one of the passenger doors does not match the other three. It has all of the wrong window trim, wrong door handle, and wrong interior trim installed. They appear to be from an SLE model. The dealer is telling me it must have been built that way at the factory. They are going to try to replace everything to match the AT4 trim level, but of course some of the parts are on national backorder. Has anyone run into this before? 

Not trying to be mean, but you did not notice any of this when you picked up the truck at the lot?

Did you not do a walk around with the salesman to make sure there was no damage, or something like this?

• Like 2

This is proof that they do not wax the vehicles before they give them to you.  They charge you for the service ($100) i think. Any shop worker detailing the truck would have caught this.   SMH.  I had an issue where the back door wouldn't open because the locks wouldn't disengage.  I think my new truck was back in the shop three times in the first week.  Part of me thinks the shop is there to make $ so they wont say anything and then they can charge the work back to the manufacture for time spent but what do i know?

O_o

They don’t charge me $100 for anything like that. I don’t let them do the “courtesy wash and detail” when I buy my vehicles. If you’re paying them to wax it then.... why! They’re in such a rush to do things that they don’t care about the finish. Scratches on day one? No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

C'mon! Whos's kidding who here? Check to see if the embedded numbers in the doors all match!

Check out the videos on Youtube showing the Silverado assembly plants and the way they are staged, assembled and painted. There is no way in He!! that happened at the factory. Switcho-chango happened somewhere along the line of possession after it left the factory. Reminds me of the time my friend swapped front doors with a rental, but he was smart enough to swap the interiors back. Check out the door assembly sequence in attached.

Same goes for swaps on new car purchases at a dealer with any brains (will work only before you fork over the cash!) if defect is a deal breaker like the hood swap on my sister's new Celica  (days before the embedded code on major parts) after I noticed evidence of bodywork, and for the rear leather seat swap on my Impala when I noticed the center armrest was broken and said swap or no deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, eppieguy said:

I've seen it a lot, many different things can be screwed up, I ordered 294 for Rangers in 1 order, all ordered identical, some came in with different wheels side to side, different door panels, buckets seats or bench seats different radios, different trim level mudflaps. It's pretty strange and mostly the dealers catch the issues before they sell the vehicles but some get missed. 

OP is talking a single unit not fleet buys, especially with Fords. Fleet buys are a different animal.....sold on the cheap and they stick in any remaining parts that fit. In 1972 agency ordered thousands of Ford Customs at a time of increasing emission standards and new restrictive fleet mileage requirements...of course rules didn't apply to Government contracts and Ford needed the sixes for their price leader Mustangs and recently introduced Mavericks and Pintos and no large V8s were offered in their line that year ....so what to do with all the leftover large, dirty 4 bbl. 400s and 428s that wouldn't meet emissions?  Simple, jamb them into fleet cars which had no radios, mismatched parts and interiors, steel wheels some with covers, others hubcaps but all did get dynamite engines. Got 4-5 mpg at a time of gas crisis and long NYC gas lines. But, no problemo for designated emergency vehicles with their non public fleet pumps and gas supplies.

43 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

OP is talking a single unit not fleet buys, especially with Fords. Fleet buys are a different animal.....sold on the cheap and they stick in any remaining parts that fit. In 1972 agency ordered thousands of Ford Customs at a time of increasing emission standards and new restrictive fleet mileage requirements...of course rules didn't apply to Government contracts and Ford needed the sixes for their price leader Mustangs and recently introduced Mavericks and Pintos and no large V8s were offered in their line that year ....so what to do with all the leftover large, dirty 4 bbl. 400s and 428s that wouldn't meet emissions?  Simple, jamb them into fleet cars which had no radios, mismatched parts and interiors, steel wheels some with covers, others hubcaps but all did get dynamite engines. Got 4-5 mpg at a time of gas crisis and long NYC gas lines. But, no problemo for designated emergency vehicles with their non public fleet pumps and gas supplies.

I understand what the OP is talking about, and I was giving a larger example of the same issue. I spent a day on the Corvette line in Bowling Green and I understand how the line works as well and mistakes do happen, I’ve seen people complain of the same issue of incorrect parts on a Corvette. I now buy vehicles for my current company, I buy 12-20 Chevy vans a year and I’ve seen the same issue a couple of times in the last 19 years I’ve been doing it. 

I worked at a chevy dealer back in 2000. I watched a truck be delivered off the transport truck with a gmc grill and a chevy tailgate. It has a 3/4 ton truck in the old body so really the tailgate was just badging. 

• Like 1