In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
steve76t

30,000 mile service?

10 minutes ago, Bikemobile said:

Does the rear diff have a drain plug? I’ve never looked. Im thinking of swapping to amsoil and I’m 800 miles short of 30k. Seems like a good time. 

Mine did NOT have a drain plug. I sucked out the old oil through the fill plug. Otherwise you will need to remove the cover to drain.

8 minutes ago, rav3 said:

Mine did NOT have a drain plug. I sucked out the old oil through the fill plug. Otherwise you will need to remove the cover to drain.

Dang

im 10k way from my 30K service, I will be replacing all the fluid other then coolant and brake fluid.

I plan on keeping this truck to 200K+ 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rav3 said:

I've been following this post with interest since I'm about in the same miles on my CPO '17 LTZ. I just purchased my truck in Feb. @ 30k with the 2x FREE oil changes over the next 12months/12k miles. Here's my take on what you should consider. These are all pretty much DYI's. (I can really speak about the above 2 services that the dealer suggested) but would suggest a couple things to keep your truck's fluids in good order. This is what I did to mine that the dealer won't do under CPO.

1. I would change the front & rear differential fluids (GL5 75W90) Mine looked very dark.

2. Replace the transfer case fluid (Dexron VI ATF) Mine looked very dark

3. Remove & replace the brake fluid in the brake reservoir. (DOT 3 or 4) Mine looked cloudy. Brake fluid is hygroscopic 

4. Do a drain & fill on transmission. Mine is a 6 speed & uses AC Delco Dexron VI. The easy way is suck fluid out the filler tube, approx. 5 qts & refill. No need to drop the pan & replace filter at 30k, "in my opinion".(I actually did this 2x which replaced approx. 66% over 1000 miles period) The filter will actually last well over 100k miles. I've dissected transmission filters with over 130k on them & they looked very good. I'm not sure how small of micron particle they filter out but I feel they do catch the big stuff. Mine was very dark at 30k

5. I do a GDI cleaning process with CRC GDI (https://www.crcindustries.com/products/gdi-service-pack-1-kit-05320.html)

6. Add Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel cleaner every 3-5k for the injectors.

Hope this helps you and are good DYI projects to do to keep fluids fresh & clean. Again, these are my opinions only. Do what you feel is right for you & your truck.

good suggestions, thanks!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 2018GMC said:

Has your 8l90 transmission had the new fluid installed? If not I would get it flushed. You should be able to get it done free with some convincing if your truck has shudder problems or RPM fluctuations when highway cruising.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/08/tsb-seems-to-fix-8-speed-automatic-gm-transmission-problems/

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11127

no, haven't had the fluid exchange done.  For me I haven't experience any shudder problems.  Just a hard shift once in a while in slow stop n go traffic.  I mentioned that the service guy & he gave me the typical "unfortunately that's normal" answer. He's got the same truck as mine with the same hard shift issues but gets more occurrences of that than I do.  I asked about Mobil 1 fluid exchange and he said that he'd never heard about it but would look into it.    

Edited by steve76t

1 hour ago, BlancoSilverado said:

im 10k way from my 30K service, I will be replacing all the fluid other then coolant and brake fluid.

I plan on keeping this truck to 200K+ 

No way it will ever make it to 200k+  J/K I have 110k on 2016...it drives like it has 20-30k not a pop,squeak or rattle..SMOOTH 

I hope you get a good one yourself!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, steve76t said:

no, haven't had the fluid exchange done.  For me I haven't experience any shudder problems.  Just a hard shift once in a while in slow stop n go traffic.  I mentioned that the service guy & he gave me the typical "unfortunately that's normal" answer. He's got the same truck as mine with the same hard shift issues but gets more occurrences of that than I do.  I asked about Mobil 1 fluid exchange and he said that he'd never heard about it but would look into it.    

Your service guy should get a different job. Its a GD TSB. 

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/08/tsb-seems-to-fix-8-speed-automatic-gm-transmission-problems/comment-page-2/

Take your truck to a different dealer. Mine pushed back on the fluid swap. I got a survey in my email from GM. I explained their lack of knowledge or desire to resolve my crappy shifting. I got a call the next week from the guy who “never heard of that issue and its normal” 

He offered to replace the fluid and the “owner would pay for it to make me happy.” I refused the service until he acknowledged that GM would pay for it. Ridiculous

These service writers are commissioned salespeople who rarely know anything about cars, common sense or integrity. 

Edited by Bikemobile

Back when I had my 06 Trailblazer SS. I had a service writer tell me I was in danger of losing my warranty. I went past 5,000 miles on a oil change. The recommended for that vehicle was 12-15K on mobile 1. The light would come on around 12K for an oil change. I laugh and told him on my out warranty vehicles I went one year or 25K on Amsoil. Then I went to my salesman told him they needed to train their service writers better. Or at least read the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a very specific set of procedures I've used to get a dozen or more well past 200K. Shampooing my oil or giving my coolant vitamins has never been part of it. :bs:

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

This is a prime example (Inferior ATF) of why GM's brand name (GM spec) on a lubricant does not mean it’s the best there is. It only means its good enough for GM.   Makes you wonder just how good dexos oil is, also good enough?   After all, GM is in the business of selling new vehicles so its not in their best interest to make them last forever, only to make them last until the warranty is over, then is your problem and the dealer gets to rake you over the coals for service.  

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1

I'm finishing up my 2 weeks on, this week, and then I'm going to K.O. my 25K-30K servicings, and a couple/few mods.