GDI intake valve cleaning

I want to do a CRC GDI (gas direct inject) cleaning procedure on my 2017 Silverado 5.3 L V-8 & was wondering if anyone on this forum has done this yet. If so, how did you insert the spray 'straw' into the throttle body? I would prefer to use the CRC product rather than the Seafoam, however, the Seafoam has a nice "bent" spray straw to position it directly through the Throttle Body show in this video (https://youtu.be/LkeAlK9FzkI

Andy good tricks or suggestions for the CRC?

I have done it every 10k miles on my 15 Silverado. Follow the instructions carefully.  I sprayed it into the PCV fitting on the intake manifold.  Sometimes it might run a little rough for the first few minutes after the procedure.  I now have 50k miles and the truck runs great and uses almost no oil. I use Mobil 1 0W20 and change it at 5000 miles. I have a Range and an Elite catch can. Th Elite collects about 1 ounce of fluid every 1000 miles.

Thanks for the reply dgstarr. I ended up being able to heat up the spray straw on the CRC & bend it so that I could install it directly into the Throttle Body inlet. I found out that the sprayer straw can be pulled out of the nozzle so that I can use it again on future GDI intake valve cleaning. It ended up working very well this way.

Can you elaborate on the "I have a Range and an Elite catch can."? Do you have both installed? If not, which one do you like the most? 

20200425_153022.jpg

Edited by rav3

This is on my to do list this spring and i was looking at using the same product instead of the usual seafoam that I use. Glad to hear you had a good experience with it.

8 minutes ago, jshrubs said:

This is on my to do list this spring and i was looking at using the same product instead of the usual seafoam that I use. Glad to hear you had a good experience with it.

I found this link as well, I just did it a little differently by putting the spray straw into the TB & pushing the air boot over it, sort of like the pic attached to show how I positioned it.

https://www.crcindustries.com/how-to-use-crc-gdi-ivd-intake-valve-turbo-cleaner/

20200426_123236.jpg

I pulled the vacuum connection next to the tb on a 6.2 and I got a rubber vacuum cap that fits the quick disconnect. Drill a tiny hole in the rubber cap then slide it over the CRC straw and shove it on the open vacuum connector. Start the engine and no vacuum leaks, then just bump up the idle and spray away. I posted a pic in another thread here somewhere.

The Range plugs into the diagnostic connector under the dash and blocks the signal to run on four cylinders. The difference in mileage is not that much.  The elite catch can catches oil vapor in the PCV system before it can deposit on the intake valves. There is no good way to prove that these modifications are beneficial without disassembling the engine. It is my belief that it better to be safe than sorry later.  When I went to the dealer for warranty work, I temporarily removed both of them and the dealer never knew that the truck had been modified.

Edited by dgstarr63
added content

• 2 weeks later...

I run this routinely in my 2015 5.3 - I actually take off my intake tube and spray it directly at the throttle body in bursts, the truck will not run correctly with the MAF plugged in and intake not hooked up so I unplug the MAF and the truck will idle good enough to run it through. I have a second person hold the idle a little under 2k rpm while I run the service. This method is not for everyone, and unless you know what you're doing I do not recommend this.

Just got this done the other day. Ran a full bottle through the throttle body similar to the pic above. Had the wife keep the RPMs at 2k and sprayed it in 1 second bursts and then had her blip the throttle up to 3500 RPMs 3 times and shut the engine off. Took it for a drive an hour later. Throttle definitely felt smoother during the 20 minute drive I took it on. I definitely recommend it.