Pick up accessory power signal inside engine bay?

Hey everyone,

I’m mounting a solenoid in my engine bay that will be used as switched power to a fuse box that will be mounted under the rear seat.

I’m hoping to find an existing ACC signal somewhere I can tap off of to enable my solenoid. I’d rather not tap off something from the interior, not that I couldn’t, but since the solenoid is mounted in the engine bay I’d prefer to find something there.

There is of course a fuse box (photo attached) with a lot of options that I could simply add a fuse-tap to, but it’s sealed with no existing exit route and I don’t want to drill a hole in it.

Let me know what you think or if you have any ideas.

Also, just to clarify, this is only for an enable signal, it won’t be supplying power to any accessories.

I have the duramax too in case it matters.

55c7e9208457339a72832ec0bc3d6e1f.jpg

If u are mounting it inside y not pick up the power from the inner fuse box ....there's more acc in that box then engine bay

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

The solenoid will be mounted in the engine bay and is what needs acc

Ok
Was thinking put the solenoid in the cab as well

Yeah I thought about it, but it’s a little larger than your typical relay, and I also found the perfect mounting spot in the engine bay too.

It’s larger since instead of having multiple switches relays off the fuse box I’m using this solenoid as a switch to the entire fuse box. If it were just a typical small relay I’d mount it in the cab for sure.
dc50a1407daacc0eed3d96b34eab52f6.jpg

Well I would just start probing in there and see what turns on with ign on then try chasing that wire....(fuse box schematic)

Or drill the hole and tap into a fuse
That would be what I would do for easy connection

• Like 1

Well today didn’t go well :(

I did check a couple connectors looking for 12v from ACC, didn’t find anything.

Worst part is after I connected the two connectors back and started the truck I’m getting some errors, what the heck.

First one I got was
“service emission system see owners manual”
And something about 175 miles until 65mph max speed.
Also have a “service parking brake”

So it didn’t like something I did.

I took the truck for a drive around the block and it’s shifting really weird too, if I give it a decent amount of throttle it takes awhile to downshift, and when it does it does it slowly one gear at a time it feels like.

Sorry guys, false alarm hopefully.

I disconnected both batteries for 30 min, reconnected, started truck, currently no codes.

I guess it’s sensitive to certain things being disconnected even if reconnected.

• 1 year later...