In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
jimmyjames636

2019 Silverado RST price

Ladies and gentleman,

First, I want to say thanks to all the information that is on this site! It's unbelievable how much info is on here. I have been browsing on here for pros and cons of each model available as I have been looking to purchase one! Now I need this sites help as this is a first time buy of a new truck from a dealership for me. And it is ALL new to me. I have been researching prices, what each truck is equipped with and so on. I have a deal on the table and am ready to pull the plug but I have just a few questions that I have not really found discussed on here much and need some clarity. I have provided the site of the truck so you can look at the specs. 

Basic rundown is its a 2019 RST 4x4. 

https://www.toddwenzelchevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/new-2019-Chevrolet-Silverado_1500-RST_4WD-Hudsonville-MI/3433962803

First question is, in the long run how happy have you all been with the 3.23 gears/8spd on 35's?( I ask because sticker on site says 3.42's but sticker on window of truck says 3.23)

Second question is, What really does the Z71 package give you compared to not having the Z71 package? IE, gears?shocks?skid plates? Different transfer case? External oil cooler?

Third, what should I look out for?

In the end I plan on purchasing the rough country 3.5'' kit and run 35x11.5 nitto ridge grapplers with 20x9 +1 offset rims. 

Please help as I am the hesitant kind guy but know I want to get into a new silverado. They are willing to let this truck go for 40k plus plates.

To sum up, should I jump on this?? Thanks in advance for any advice you guys have to offer me and if there is anything wrong with this post please advise me on how to change it.

James

55 minutes ago, jimmyjames636 said:

First question is, in the long run how happy have you all been with the 3.23 gears/8spd on 35's?( I ask because sticker on site says 3.42's but sticker on window of truck says 3.23)

Second question is, What really does the Z71 package give you compared to not having the Z71 package? IE, gears?shocks?skid plates? Different transfer case? External oil cooler?

Third, what should I look out for?

In the end I plan on purchasing the rough country 3.5'' kit and run 35x11.5 nitto ridge grapplers with 20x9 +1 offset rims. 

Please help as I am the hesitant kind guy but know I want to get into a new silverado. They are willing to let this truck go for 40k plus plates.

To sum up, should I jump on this?? Thanks in advance for any advice you guys have to offer me and if there is anything wrong with this post please advise me on how to change it.

James

To somewhat answer the first question, 3.42 is listed as standard on the window sticker because that ratio comes with the base 2.7 four banger. 5.3 / 8 speed trucks get 3.23s unless the truck has the max trailering package (which this one doesn’t). The 8 speed’s transmission gearing does mitigate some of the 3.23’s shortcomings and I wouldn’t think 35s would totally make a dog of the truck.

Z71 comes with dual exhaust, 2 speed transfer case, skid plates, rancho shocks, locking rear diff, hill descent control. I would think for someone who plans to lift / add bigger tires, this package would be very desirable, and is a good value if you can find one with it for around the same price.

Timing and incentives are everything....almost a year ago a $56.5 K'19 RST for $42K. The 3.23 rear with the 8 speed and 5.3l DFM running 33", 375 50R22 has a more lower end pickup that my '16 LTZ71 3.42 rear with 6 speed 5.3l AFM running  stock 18"s. Had Z71 in my '12 and '13 Avalanche and '16 Silverado.....didn't want a Z this time and don't miss it. ......same bucks better spent on the HD cameras, HD monitor and Bose with upscale IOS HD radio in the Convenience II package.

As far as not bothering with a Z71 option this time.....no real advantage for me.  The Z71 is not a real dual exhaust using separate exhaust pipe systems from each V8 manifold, but like my V6 Traverse instead uses  a "Y" engine pipe feeding a single a single exhaust system, split by a "Y" tailpipe into two stub finishers.....looks pretty but doesn't do anything to open up exhaust flow, thus no changes in engine spec. . Your All Star edition is already equipped with the same E80 Eaton locking rear in the Z71 package. The stock Rancho shocks are bottom line Bielsteins not better than stock shocks which will give a softer ride with larger wheels.....actually the softer shocks with the stiff rear leafs and lighter bed give less bounce on a peel out from a turn than the stiffer Ranchos. Unless you plan to use as a mudder you won't need a two speed transfer case, the RST's come with an Offroad button in place of the 4 Low button which electronically simulates the speed of the wheels in 4 Low, but with less torque. Does lack the (plastic?) skid plates and hill decent control which will kick in and hold a gear with constant pressure on the brake for about half a mile -  I always found it easier to shift to Low when trailering downhill. And of course it will have Silverado instead of Z71 fender badges.

• Like 1

ill sell you mine and write down whatever purchase price you want for taxes @ DMV, lol

nah the Z71 isn't much and a lot of peeps don't like the twin tube ranchos, I had em way back and didn't care for them but don't know if these are same.....anything a dealer throws on is usually just fluff for profit, or marketing ploy....but some singular options are great and way cheaper to do with them than aftermarket....the 2 spd transfer is about only thing if you knew you would really need it than for sure....cuz replacing the shocks is a lot easier than getting a new transfer case if even possible.....pick and choose your battle

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here is my take: that truck has cloth seats, you're going to have to pay for navigation every month, has the bench seat instead of a full center console (aka cheap AF), not Z71 which isn't the end all be all but..., has a side exit exhaust, no Bose, neither tech package, no fender flares, no driver alert package, is the "cheap white color," etc. It says they are selling it for 34,703 on their site. Tax, title and tags are about 2200. 35-36k would be a decent deal for that truck in this environment. 40+ seems like you are paying top dollar. 

For example, I paid 42,500 for a 19' 4wd GMC SLT DC with built in navigation, color matched fender flares, both tech packages, Bose, driver alert, convenience package, leather seats, white frost tricoat, 20's, a full center console, etc. People will argue that it's a GMC vs a Chevy and it's not the same but it is. You aren't getting very much truck for 40k imo. That seems like a rip IMO. 

My father has the '18 RST 4wd CC who is a lot more laid back and nicer person than me lol paid 40,500 a year ago for his. His truck has the bench seat instead of center console, no fender flares, pays for navigation monthly, no Bose, no driver alert, side exit exhaust, no tech or convince packages, etc. plastic color matched parts, and when you compare his truck to my truck it's a joke. It's too late at this point as he'd get rinsed in a trade but he paid like 2k less than what I did. 

I tell you all of this to say that I would advise you to look around especially in the climate we are in today. You have the dealer by the balls in a sense because it will be a few months before people have the confidence to go out and make big purchases like this in droves. They are going to want to get the '21's on the lot here in the next six months at the latest and right now there is going to be a bunch of deadstock on the lot that they are going to have a hard time moving for a while. 

If they are trying to sell you that truck for around 41k OTD, IMO you could do 5-6k better than that, easily. Look around. Never be afraid to throw a number at them and walk out. Ultimately the guy with the money (in any situation) holds all the cards. These dealerships are only going to be in a bigger pickle as time goes along... You should be getting a lot more truck than that for 40-41k

Edited by superhighsierra
  • Like 1

Read up on the 5.3 / 8 speed combo. Lots of complaints about that tranny. 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, cltsig said:

Read up on the 5.3 / 8 speed combo. Lots of complaints about that tranny. 

I have the 5.3 8 speed and I can see where people are coming from to some extent and I'm sure not every tranny is created equal but some of those guys need to realize it's a truck at the end of the day. Does it shift from 1st to 2nd like a dream? No. Can you feel the shift if you aren't paying attention to it? No. That engine is bulletproof and has been around for twenty+ years now and if the tranny not shifting perfectly smoothly in the lower gears is a dealbreaker, I'm sure Mazda is running some great deals on Miata's about now. 

If you don't look for it, you will never notice it. That is just guys justifying the 6.2 if we're being honest. Here's another factoid that will go over like a fart in church around here, but the 6.2 ain't all that much more off the line than the 5.3 You can bust the ass-end of the 5.3 out any time you want. The 6.2 has a little bit more but it ain't anything close to what people make it seem like on here. 

To the OP you should be able to get that truck for sub 35k and you'll love it, but they are trying to fleece you @ 40k. 

Edited by superhighsierra
  • Like 1

I noticed that deal is with with GM employee discount applied, if you don't qualify for that incentive dealer may up the price on you. I see your looking in Mi. Green GMC in Davenport Iowa has a 2019 RST 5.3 All Star with Z71, Safety pkg, factory Nav, connivence pkg 2 and soft tonneau cover in Dark sky blue metallic. Hard to find combo in an RST. 11700 miles, most highway. No rear window leaks and a SU5 (GM) front axle. It was a good truck I traded it in, should be able to pick it up for 35ish. Hope it all works out for you.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Appreciate this info guys. New truck market is all new to me as far as pricing goes and what I can get. I do qualify for the GM legacy discount. Seems like I should wait it out some more as I am not in a need for a truck RIGHT now and new rebates will be determined in just a few days. The economy is definitely throwing alot of these manufactures for a loop. I am not sure on anywhere else but many of these trucks are certainly getting harder and harder to find up here. This info is much appreciated guys. Keep it comming if you got it!

Thanks,

James

Edited by jimmyjames636
new sentence added.

That's an interesting build. Double Cab with the bench seat, but it has the safety package. Don't see many like that around. 

14 hours ago, superhighsierra said:

I have the 5.3 8 speed and I can see where people are coming from to some extent and I'm sure not every tranny is created equal but some of those guys need to realize it's a truck at the end of the day. Does it shift from 1st to 2nd like a dream? No. Can you feel the shift if you aren't paying attention to it? No. That engine is bulletproof and has been around for twenty+ years now and if the tranny not shifting perfectly smoothly in the lower gears is a dealbreaker, I'm sure Mazda is running some great deals on Miata's about now. 

If you don't look for it, you will never notice it. That is just guys justifying the 6.2 if we're being honest. Here's another factoid that will go over like a fart in church around here, but the 6.2 ain't all that much more off the line than the 5.3 You can bust the ass-end of the 5.3 out any time you want. The 6.2 has a little bit more but it ain't anything close to what people make it seem like on here. 

To the OP you should be able to get that truck for sub 35k and you'll love it, but they are trying to fleece you @ 40k. 

Or you could get in a Sierra with the 5.3 and 10 speed. Best of both worlds. 

15 hours ago, superhighsierra said:

Here's another factoid that will go over like a fart in church around here, but the 6.2 ain't all that much more off the line than the 5.3 You can bust the ass-end of the 5.3 out any time you want. The 6.2 has a little bit more but it ain't anything close to what people make it seem like on here. 

Please.........

• Haha 1

I just want to know if you are happy with the 5.3 8spd on 35' tires. Does the max trailer package equip the truck with 3.42 gears rather than the 3.23 that I see so prevelant on these lots? Ive seen stuff tossed around about the 8spd compared to the 10spd transmission and am just trying to figure out what will be best for me so I can direct my search more towards a certain vehicle.

2 hours ago, jlong1984 said:

That's an interesting build. Double Cab with the bench seat, but it has the safety package. Don't see many like that around. 

I have one....but idk how common they are