TPMS Installed on Travel Trailer

I was going to add this to an existing post but thought it might be better as a stand alone item.  I ordered four tire pressure sensors for my travel trailer tires a little over a week ago and they were delivered yesterday.  I took the tires off of the trailer, two and a time, and had the sensors installed at a local tire shop.  Once all were installed, I hooked up the truck to the trailer pigtail and went through the learning process for the sensors.  Everything went smoothly, the truck recognized each sensor location and couldn't have been much easier.  I'm hoping that state parks and campgrounds will be opening here in Ohio by June 1st. or so.  I'd really rather not miss this camping season because of Covid-19.  We'll see how it goes!

For those that wonder about the utility of trailer tire monitoring, I had a trailer tire blow out in Iowa two years ago and did not know about it until another motorist pulled along side me and pointed back to the trailer.  I pulled over and discovered the problem.  There was some damage to the wheel well liner and a pretty good dent in the trailer siding from the blowout. There was a pretty wide berm but it was nerve wracking changing a driver side tire along an interstate highway.  I probably could have avoided the blowout if I'd had a way to monitor the trailer tire pressures.  I'm really a big fan of this truck and being able to monitor the trailer tires while towing is game changer.  The peace of mind is worth a lot.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Beach1033 said:

Manual learn worked perfectly on the first try. These trucks are seriously game changers compared to the earlier models. Heads and tails above my 05… And even a huge improvement over my 16

2FA338A8-F998-431E-B836-80D141C84F80.jpeg

Triple axle boat trailer?  Dang!  Are you towing a yacht? :)

21 hours ago, unit said:

I was going to add this to an existing post but thought it might be better as a stand alone item.  I ordered four tire pressure sensors for my travel trailer tires a little over a week ago and they were delivered yesterday.  I took the tires off of the trailer, two and a time, and had the sensors installed at a local tire shop.  Once all were installed, I hooked up the truck to the trailer pigtail and went through the learning process for the sensors.  Everything went smoothly, the truck recognized each sensor location and couldn't have been much easier.  I'm hoping that state parks and campgrounds will be opening here in Ohio by June 1st. or so.  I'd really rather not miss this camping season because of Covid-19.  We'll see how it goes!

For those that wonder about the utility of trailer tire monitoring, I had a trailer tire blow out in Iowa two years ago and did not know about it until another motorist pulled along side me and pointed back to the trailer.  I pulled over and discovered the problem.  There was some damage to the wheel well liner and a pretty good dent in the trailer siding from the blowout. There was a pretty wide berm but it was nerve wracking changing a driver side tire along an interstate highway.  I probably could have avoided the blowout if I'd had a way to monitor the trailer tire pressures.  I'm really a big fan of this truck and being able to monitor the trailer tires while towing is game changer.  The peace of mind is worth a lot.

I couldn't agree more.  I lost 2 tires on the same side of a very large tri-axle toy hauler a few years ago and had no idea until I came off the freeway and it started leaning over.  If the 3rd tire had blown on the hwy, I have little doubt that both truck and trailer would have ended up with the shiny side down because the trailer outweighed the truck by at least 50%.  Here is a  pic of the truck and trailer combo I was using at the time.  Looking forward to trying out the TPMS in the new trailer as soon as I get a chance to have them installed.

216400_10150222177593343_4307871_n.jpg