Upgrade factory 18inch wheels

Hello All,

Looking to upgrade my 18inch OEM wheels to 20 inch wheels. Truck is a 2019 Sierra SLT 4x4 with the max tow package. With 2” RC leveling kit and 3” rear blocks.

I cannot seem to find any info on this topic.

Can anyone tell me if I will have any issues At all? Will there be any reprogramming required?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your speedometer calibration should still be fine assuming you switch to a 20" wheel with factory sized tires on them for the 20. The overall diameter hasn't changed, all you're doing in that instance is increasing wheel diameter and shortening the sidewall.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

Your speedometer calibration should still be fine assuming you switch to a 20" wheel with factory sized tires on them for the 20. The overall diameter hasn't changed, all you're doing in that instance is increasing wheel diameter and shortening the sidewall.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

I’m basically increasing my wheels 4” in diameter. How would I recalibrate the speedometer if I wanted to run slightly larger tires?

So you are going with bigger rims and tires over all, NOT just bigger rims? You can swap GM wheels from 17” up to 22” I believe,  and if you use the same size tire that comes on each of those sizes, never change the diameter enough to require any re- programming.

So you are going with bigger rims and tires over all, NOT just bigger rims? You can swap GM wheels from 17” up to 22” I believe,  and if you use the same size tire that comes on each of those sizes, never change the diameter enough to require any re- programming.

Definitely wanna go with the 20” wheels. Original plan is to stick with factory tires for now however it would be nice to have some slightly bigger (more aggressive) tires. I am being cautious as I don’t want to sacrifice rose quality. Quite a conundrum....lol

15 hours ago, Lion82 said:

Hello All,

Looking to upgrade my 18inch OEM wheels to 20 inch wheels. Truck is a 2019 Sierra SLT 4x4 with the max tow package. With 2” RC leveling kit and 3” rear blocks.

I cannot seem to find any info on this topic.

Can anyone tell me if I will have any issues At all? Will there be any reprogramming required?

Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, Lion82 said:

I’m basically increasing my wheels 4” in diameter. How would I recalibrate the speedometer if I wanted to run slightly larger tires?

Are you doing factory 20 inch wheels with factory size tires?  

21 minutes ago, newdude said:

Are you doing factory 20 inch wheels with factory size tires?  

As of right now, yes. I want to eventually swap out the tires for something larger, just trying to understand what Impact this will have. It have already been mentioned I will need to re-calibrate. Any other issues? (Assuming there is no rubbing)

1 minute ago, Lion82 said:

As of right now, yes. I want to eventually swap out the tires for something larger, just trying to understand what Impact this will have. It have already been mentioned I will need to re-calibrate. Any other issues? (Assuming there is no rubbing)

A recalibration would be necessary.  The 18" tires are a 265/65R18 at 31.5 inch diameter.  The stock 20" tires are 275/60R20 at 33 inch diameter.  

GM would have support for reprogramming as this is an available upgrade if the truck was ordered and as a GM accessory.  I highly advise against aftermarket calibration devices especially if you have any of the camera systems in the truck for collision warning as those are affected by tire size.  See bulletin below:

#PIT3271J: Guidelines When Changing Tire And Wheel Size - (Nov 12, 2019)
Subject:  Guidelines When Changing Tire And Wheel Size

999999995.gif

Brand:

Model:

Model Year:

VIN:

Engine:

Transmission:

from

to

from

to

All

All

2003-2020

All

All

All

All

Supersession Statement

This PI was superseded to update the Condition, Recommendation, and Model Years. Please discard PIT3271H.

Condition / Concern

A request may be made for a variety of reasons to change the tire size on a vehicle. 

Recommendations / Instructions

General Motors will ONLY support a tire calibration for tires that have been sized, tested and designed for the vehicle in question and its applications.  The only way to confirm that a calibration is available would be to visit YOUR sales department. Using the sales order guide, if you can build a vehicle, using the same make, model year, trim, and meet any restrictions listed in the tire section, GM will have a corresponding calibration available. 

Note: When changing tire size for new vehicles prior to the first sale and/or a tire/wheel size that may require a different pressure or alter the cargo carrying capacity of the vehicle, refer to #12-00-89-007B: Dealer Responsibility for Cargo Carrying Capacity Labeling.  

Once the tire application has been confirmed per the sales guide, contact Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC) (English: 1-800-828-6860, French: 1-800-503-3222 ) to determine calibration availability. 

Please do not call Technical Assistance Center for these concerns. 

Note: There may be a cost to the customer for this service. This is NOT a feature that is covered under the manufacturer's warranty. 

Examples: 

First example -  A customer with a 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1WT Regular Cab built with 255/70/R17 tires would like to install a set of wheels and tires from a 2019 Silverado 1CX Double Cab, which came with 275/60/R20 size tires. Based on the order guide, the 1WT trim is only available with either 255/70R17 or 265/70R17 size tires. For this reason, a calibration will not be offered for this application

Second example - A customer with a 2018 Chevrolet Colorado 2LT Crew Cab built with 255/65/R17 size tires would like to install a set of wheels and tires from a 2019 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 with 265/65/R17 size tires.  From the order guide, the 2LT trim is only available with either 255/65/R17 or 265/60/R18 size tires. For this reason, a calibration will not be offered for this application either.   

2 minutes ago, newdude said:

A recalibration would be necessary.  The 18" tires are a 265/65R18 at 31.5 inch diameter.  The stock 20" tires are 275/60R20 at 33 inch diameter.  

GM would have support for reprogramming as this is an available upgrade if the truck was ordered and as a GM accessory.  I highly advise against aftermarket calibration devices especially if you have any of the camera systems in the truck for collision warning as those are affected by tire size.  See bulletin below:

Appreciate the info. Thank you