In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Muffler and flapper delete 2019 5.3 DFM

45 minutes ago, beefin06 said:

In addition, any helicopter vibrations when DFM kicks in?

Personally I really feel as I dont have any drone, I dont know if I dont hear it because of the 33's or what. My old Silverado had tonnes of drone so maybe I'm used to it? I also rarely hear the DFM kick in, and if I do it's only at low speeds, never on the highway.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Yotaak said:

Personally I really feel as I dont have any drone, I dont know if I dont hear it because of the 33's or what. My old Silverado had tonnes of drone so maybe I'm used to it? I also rarely hear the DFM kick in, and if I do it's only at low speeds, never on the highway.

Thanks for the feedback!

15 hours ago, Yotaak said:

Theres some clips for you, hopefully it all came out ok.

Sounds great, I'm considering taping up my mesh screens now too, are you enjoying it? Also you might as well kiss your gas mileage goodbye, I always romp it because I love the sound haha.

My gas mileage is good when I don't goose it constantly. I'm thinking about using an epoxy to cover the screens instead of the tape. I had some come off. Sounds great with it covered up.

2 hours ago, crazyjoefound said:

My gas mileage is good when I don't goose it constantly. I'm thinking about using an epoxy to cover the screens instead of the tape. I had some come off. Sounds great with it covered up.

Can you tell a huge difference between taped vs non taped? 

Thank you everyone for providing input and video clips! I ended up just doing a muffler delete only and leaving the flapper in place for now. I think it sounds perfect with absolutely no drone at all at any speeds. Here's a before and after video I made of the muffler delete. 

15 hours ago, Jschnepf said:

Thank you everyone for providing input and video clips! I ended up just doing a muffler delete only and leaving the flapper in place for now. I think it sounds perfect with absolutely no drone at all at any speeds. Here's a before and after video I made of the muffler delete. 

She sounds great! This might be exactly what I do as well. Did you leave the screens alone?

Any chance you're in AZ? That video looks and sounds like you are.

Just now, beefin06 said:

She sounds great! This might be exactly what I do as well. Did you leave the screens alone?

Any chance you're in AZ? That video looks and sounds like you are.

Yes I left the screens alone. Only mod was removing the muffler. And yes I'm in AZ. San Tan Valley to be exact! 

3 minutes ago, Jschnepf said:

Yes I left the screens alone. Only mod was removing the muffler. And yes I'm in AZ. San Tan Valley to be exact! 

Nice. Appreciate the detail, and you're video was great.

And hello from Scottsdale!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 2:27 PM, Yotaak said:

Can you tell a huge difference between taped vs non taped? 

Yes you can. It's muffled as all hell but it works as designed when untaped. I am going to check today and see if mine has the tape still. Proper prep did not even help as in sanding the pipes and then cleaning with isopropyl alcohol. Full replacement of the pipes is a better route for total sound, but if you want a cheap way to increase sound then BOOM.

I removed my flapper and muffler only on my 2019 LTZ with 5.3. Sounds amazing and i have to say there really is no drone at highway speeds. In fact i cant even hear it from inside cab cruising down the road, unless i get on it. I left my resonators untouched but will say if you hammer it down she gets loud.

Wont let my upload my video.

Edited by RadCopperND

I've got a neighbor that's trying to tell me that by removing my muffler, I just voided my warranty on the truck. Is that true? Only thing I did was cut the muffler out and bolt in a piece of pipe in place. Left the flapper installed. I cant imagine that by removing a muffler I'd be voiding an power-train warranty.

7 hours ago, Jschnepf said:

I've got a neighbor that's trying to tell me that by removing my muffler, I just voided my warranty on the truck. Is that true? Only thing I did was cut the muffler out and bolt in a piece of pipe in place. Left the flapper installed. I cant imagine that by removing a muffler I'd be voiding an power-train warranty.

I was told to stay from flapper down and it wont affect the warranty. You could always call your local dealership and ask them. 

Edited by RadCopperND

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2020 at 4:33 PM, RadCopperND said:

I removed my flapper and muffler only on my 2019 LTZ with 5.3. Sounds amazing and i have to say there really is no drone at highway speeds. In fact i cant even hear it from inside cab cruising down the road, unless i get on it. I left my resonators untouched but will say if you hammer it down she gets loud.

Wont let my upload my video.

Just did the muffler delete on my 19 TB Custom with 5.3 and 6 speed, it sounds awesome too! I left the flapper in and haven't bothered covering any of the resonators. I spent a lot of time reviewing comments and watching videos, but to be honest, the muffler delete alone was exactly what I was looking for. It's quiet on highway or just cruising, but if you hammer it it's loud as hell...especially on a cold start.

• 9 months later...

Hello All,

I just purchased a 2019 and am going to replace flapper and stock muffler with a Flowmaster Delta Flow 50 series # 943052. Not looking to get to loud but let it breath a bit. Does anyone have any input on this particular setup before the oem setup comes out? Thanks in advance!