Looking at a 2016 6.0, What to Worry About or Check?

Hi guys, I don't post a lot but I glean a ton of info from this site.  My current lease is winding down and I am considering a few different options, one of which is picking up a few year old 3/4 ton. I am getting tired of running up against the mileage limit... What has currently caught my eye is a 2016 2500 6.0 Z71 w/ 50,000 miles. The truck looks well taken care of and it is at a dealer that I have a great relationship with.  It has been a while since I've had a 3/4 ton and I have never had a 6.0, so I am wonder what I should be worried about, checking or making the dealer service on a 50,000 mile truck?  

If I do go 3/4 ton and get away from the lease deals I am looking to hang onto the truck for 8 to 10 years, so I want to start out right.  Unfortunately my budget puts me into a late model 3/4 ton w/ 50,000 to 60,000 miles.  I run around 15,000 +/- miles a year so I am looking to get 200,000 miles out of whatever I buy.  

The 6.0 is a good solid motor, and should work well for you.  I don't know anything about the transmission in that model truck.

I'd go for a good test drive, then have the truck scanned by a professional scanner (something that can read codes from all the computers, not one of the basic ones that just get codes from the ecm or a couple of them), to make sure that the P.O./dealer didn't just clear the codes.

As for service, at 50K and 5 years, I would change all the fluids (oil, engine coolant, ps fluid, brake fluid, transmission fluid, transfer case, both diffs, as well as air filter. Belts/idlers/tensioners should still be fine, as well as spark plugs.

• Like 1

Drive it, does it shake going down the road? Some trucks shake no matter what. How's the steering feel, nice and smooth, doesn't feel like the truck is doing the steering for you, DSA can suck sometimes. Look for water leak evidence on the headliner, some trucks leaked from the factory. All stock, no lift or torsion bar raised up?

8 hours ago, gearheadesw said:

Drive it, does it shake going down the road? Some trucks shake no matter what. How's the steering feel, nice and smooth, doesn't feel like the truck is doing the steering for you, DSA can suck sometimes. Look for water leak evidence on the headliner, some trucks leaked from the factory. All stock, no lift or torsion bar raised up?

All stock, no lift, no evidence that the torsion bars have ever been cranked up. I'm not sure test drives are a thing up here right now but I am waiting to hear back from the dealer. I will not be buying anything I can't drive first!  The truck is fairly clean in person but they are never as nice as the pictures...  

I'm really torn between going 3/4 ton or leasing another half but w/ the Max Trailer package.  I would like the 3/4 ton feel when towing but I'm totally sold on giving up the gas mileage as what I ever I get will be a daily driver.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, edgexcsp said:

All stock, no lift, no evidence that the torsion bars have ever been cranked up. I'm not sure test drives are a thing up here right now but I am waiting to hear back from the dealer. I will not be buying anything I can't drive first!  The truck is fairly clean in person but they are never as nice as the pictures...  

I'm really torn between going 3/4 ton or leasing another half but w/ the Max Trailer package.  I would like the 3/4 ton feel when towing but I'm totally sold on giving up the gas mileage as what I ever I get will be a daily driver.  

What are you towing trailer/weight wise?  

6.0 is great as is the 6L90 behind it.  Mileage will suck.  Empty expect anywhere from 12-15mpg average depending on your driving style.  If you are more highway, you will be at or near the 15mpg average mark.  I did Rochester to Utica and back via the NY Thruway and got a whopping 15 mpg average during the trip.   

As far as test drives go, where I work its a no go right now.  

43 minutes ago, newdude said:

That's the question to answer first.  If you only tow 5% of the time and this is a daily driver, then a 3/4 ton might be ok but it is no 1/2 ton as far as comfort and mileage.  Why are you leasing 1/2 tons?  Just buy an F150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost and heavy duty tow package and get the best of all worlds for a daily.  If you are towing a bumper pull, this should serve you well.  If you are pulling a gooseneck or 5th wheel, then stepping up to a 3/4 ton is a good idea.

I bought a 2015 2500HD 4x4 CC 6.0L with 53,000 miles a couple months ago because I plan to tow a 5th wheel.  It will also be my daily driver, but I don't mind driving a truck every day.  The gas mileage sucks.  Not sure if it will last 250,000 miles.

If you want a truck to last 250,000 miles without blinking, get an oil burner.  You can get a 2016 3/4 ton oil burner with <75,000 miles for $36k.  That will last forever and tow anything with wheels.

20 hours ago, newdude said:

6.0 is great as is the 6L90 behind it.  Mileage will suck.  Empty expect anywhere from 12-15mpg average depending on your driving style.  If you are more highway, you will be at or near the 15mpg average mark.  I did Rochester to Utica and back via the NY Thruway and got a whopping 15 mpg average during the trip.   

As far as test drives go, where I work its a no go right now.  

I'm not pulling anything super heavy, my camper is 6500 +/- loaded and I normally take a bed full of wood, bikes and kayaks along most trips, my inline sled trailer is 3500 w/ both sleds in it but I am looking at adding a sled deck to bring another sled or two on occasion.  

20 hours ago, Tom Hole said:

Why are you leasing 1/2 tons?  Just buy an F150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost and heavy duty tow package and get the best of all worlds for a daily.  If you are towing a bumper pull, this should serve you well.  If you are pulling a gooseneck or 5th wheel, then stepping up to a 3/4 ton is a good idea

If you want a truck to last 250,000 miles without blinking, get an oil burner.  You can get a 2016 3/4 ton oil burner with <75,000 miles for $36k.  That will last forever and tow anything with wheels.

Leases are cheap on the half tons and it has been nice to have a new truck every 3 years... If they offered good lease deals on a 3/4 ton I would lease one of those!  Unfortunately I am constantly pushing up against the mileage limit and I am getting tired of that.  

I have been looking at diesels too, the extra maintenance costs are a bit of a concern and I struggle with the price vs mileage but that is mostly because I have been leasing for a few trucks...  I'm not pulling anything heavy enough to justify a diesel but the mileage on a daily basis would be a lot better.  

On 5/5/2020 at 6:58 AM, edgexcsp said:

Leases are cheap on the half tons and it has been nice to have a new truck every 3 years... If they offered good lease deals on a 3/4 ton I would lease one of those!  Unfortunately I am constantly pushing up against the mileage limit and I am getting tired of that.  

I have been looking at diesels too, the extra maintenance costs are a bit of a concern and I struggle with the price vs mileage but that is mostly because I have been leasing for a few trucks...  I'm not pulling anything heavy enough to justify a diesel but the mileage on a daily basis would be a lot better.  

How often do you tow the larger trailer?  The only thing a 3/4 ton will do better than a 1/2 ton is tow and haul heavy things.  6,500 is not heavy, but you could be pushing the payload limits of some 1/2 tons with all that extra stuff in the bed.  So do you want something that does 5% of stuff better, or one that does 95% of stuff better?  A 1/2 ton will ride better and get better gas mileage.  And I agree on the oil burner, the oil burner wins for towing very heavy loads and a little better mileage, but you pay for it with higher maintenance.

I did not know that 1/2 tons leased well.  I've never leased a car, but have done the math a couple of times and they can be quite good if you invest the money you would have paid cash with instead.  If you are leasing because you can't afford a new truck, that Is another story.  

If I were you, I would decide if you want the downside of a 3/4 ton gasser just to tow a 6,500 lbs trailer better.  I wouldn't.  Like I said earlier, I would buy an F150 with the HDPP and have the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom Hole said:

How often do you tow the larger trailer?  The only thing a 3/4 ton will do better than a 1/2 ton is tow and haul heavy things.  6,500 is not heavy, but you could be pushing the payload limits of some 1/2 tons with all that extra stuff in the bed.  So do you want something that does 5% of stuff better, or one that does 95% of stuff better?  A 1/2 ton will ride better and get better gas mileage.  And I agree on the oil burner, the oil burner wins for towing very heavy loads and a little better mileage, but you pay for it with higher maintenance.

I did not know that 1/2 tons leased well.  I've never leased a car, but have done the math a couple of times and they can be quite good if you invest the money you would have paid cash with instead.  If you are leasing because you can't afford a new truck, that Is another story.  

If I were you, I would decide if you want the downside of a 3/4 ton gasser just to tow a 6,500 lbs trailer better.  I wouldn't.  Like I said earlier, I would buy an F150 with the HDPP and have the best of both worlds.

All excellent points, and I appreciate your input. I don't hate the leases, I may very well lease another one but I'm seriously considering owning one again and looking to keep it long term.  I am looking for the added payload capacity and I will more than likely be adding a snowplow to whatever I buy next.  The downside of the 3/4 is the mileage on a daily basis.

I am going to spec out one of those F150's for giggles but it has been a long time since Ive owned a blue oval...

22 minutes ago, edgexcsp said:

All excellent points, and I appreciate your input. I don't hate the leases, I may very well lease another one but I'm seriously considering owning one again and looking to keep it long term.  I am looking for the added payload capacity and I will more than likely be adding a snowplow to whatever I buy next.  The downside of the 3/4 is the mileage on a daily basis.

I am going to spec out one of those F150's for giggles but it has been a long time since Ive owned a blue oval...

The HDPP (Heavy Duty Payload Package) is the only reason I would recommend a Ford over any other brand.  It gives you 3,000 lbs payload in a 1/2 ton package.  Yes, that does affect the ride, but it's still nicer than a 3/4 ton and that 3.5L EcoBoost is dreamy.  It is VERY difficult to get it built right online while allowing the HDPP option.  You cannot get it in anything above XLT, so be mindful of that when configuring it.

If you don't need 3,000 lbs of payload in a 1.2 ton, I would stick with your preferred brand.  I drove from Dallas to Cincinnati yesterday and noted all the pickups on the road.  They all looked great to me except the Rams.  And they all cost about the same.  

The towing bit is a whole new issue.  Towing is tough on a truck.  Unless it's just your driveway and it's not 10 miles long.  

On 5/5/2020 at 5:58 AM, edgexcsp said:

Ok

a diesel is not in your future here.  The 6 l will run a long long time pretty bullet proof and the prices for used will be going down due to the current glut hold out another month if you can.  You will come out way ahead on the gasser compared to the diesel.  

Change the shocks out the ride is almost the same as a 1\2 ton, lower the tire pressure to 60lbs when unladen and enjoy.

And echoing the other vibration test run it to 76-80mph if it vibrates walk away and keep looking no matter what they tell you.  Do a Carfax for sure

Edited by curver900
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, curver900 said:

a diesel is not in your future here.  The 6 l will run a long long time pretty bullet proof and the prices for used will be going down due to the current glut hold out another month if you can.  You will come out way ahead on the gasser compared to the diesel.  

Change the shocks out the ride is almost the same as a 1\2 ton, lower the tire pressure to 60lbs when unladen and enjoy.

And echoing the other vibration test run it to 76-80mph if it vibrates walk away and keep looking no matter what they tell you.  Do a Carfax for sure

At this point, since the dealers around here aren't open for test drives I am gonna start driving the wife's car to/from work and try to stretch my mileage as far as I can go...  I hopefully the deals on new get better or the used prices drop a touch...

11 hours ago, edgexcsp said:

At this point, since the dealers around here aren't open for test drives I am gonna start driving the wife's car to/from work and try to stretch my mileage as far as I can go...  I hopefully the deals on new get better or the used prices drop a touch...

The used car market is going to have some smoking deals,l but not sure about the truck market and how that will pan out.  Good luck just make sure you test drive anything used and get the Carfax now that will help too 

Edited by curver900

There are too many horror stories about the "Chevy shake" on these trucks. Regardless of the looks, condition, miles, options, etc., there's no way I'd buy a truck without test driving it first. If it shakes at highway/interstate speeds on a smooth road, walk away. Other than that, these trucks are fantastic, and will last a LONG time.