What's with all the Ads?

The amount of ads on this site seems to have tripled. Is there a way to get rid of the banner ad that runs horizontally at the bottom? It gets in the way of notifications and almost any site-related content.

• Like 2

We recently implemented a new ad serving network and have been having some issues. We are working on it. My apologies. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 10:05 AM, Zane said:

We recently implemented a new ad serving network and have been having some issues. We are working on it. My apologies. 

This has been going on for a while now. Any update on when it should be fixed?

Is there a paid version where there are no ads?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a month since Chris's post above. 

Everything I look at still has 3 empty boxes on top, 8 empty boxes on the right, 2 empty boxes at the far bottom, all with green endlessly scrolling hamster wheels in them, and one empty ad box on the immediate bottom that you must minimize to be able to post.  

The regular forum content now takes FOREVER to load, probably because of all the silly ads that can't load.  Zane and Josh or whoever, if we can't see the regular content, you lose your subscribers, and it doesn't make any difference if we can't see the ads that you're trying to make $ off of!

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An advertising agency owns these forums, located in Canada as I recall.  They gobbled up and/or create 100's if not 1,000's of sites and charge confiscatory ad rates to their vendors.

Every time you visited this site you are being tracked by all kinds of bots...

Edited by elcamino

On 6/8/2020 at 1:32 PM, MaverickZ71 said:

It's been a month since Chris's post above. 

Everything I look at still has 3 empty boxes on top, 8 empty boxes on the right, 2 empty boxes at the far bottom, all with green endlessly scrolling hamster wheels in them, and one empty ad box on the immediate bottom that you must minimize to be able to post.  

The regular forum content now takes FOREVER to load, probably because of all the silly ads that can't load.  Zane and Josh or whoever, if we can't see the regular content, you lose your subscribers, and it doesn't make any difference if we can't see the ads that you're trying to make $ off of!

I literally have just about stopped using this site because of this. It's crazy. Give me a way to pay to get these ads away!!!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, carnau said:

I literally have just about stopped using this site because of this. It's crazy. Give me a way to pay to get these ads away!!!

They do need to fix it.  But us Joe Public forum users shouldn’t have to pay for what was free before.  Especially when the owners of the site are raking in free loot from GM and other vendors!

AdBlocker Ultimate add-on for Firefox and no ads here (may have it for other browsers also; Firefox and IE are installed on this computer and I refuse to use IE)

Edited by dsr611

19 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I took five minutes to install Adblock Plus for Google Chrome. Gone..... Took me four of those minutes to google add blockers. 

I have an add blocker remover, But the adds spots still show up and slow down the page.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, carnau said:

I have an add blocker remover, But the adds spots still show up and slow down the page.

That stinks. Works like a dream for me. Actually speed up my loads and I haven't had a single pop up or banner. I use Google Chrome as my search engine. Just a thought. 

On 6/15/2020 at 7:01 PM, carnau said:

Same here.  Can't use Chrome here, but the add blocker endlessly fighting the ads is what's making it grind to a screeching halt.  

I'm using ad block with Chrome on my phone. I'm not that concerned about the ad spots showing but I still have this white box at the bottom that blocks notifications and makes it hard to type messages. Not sure how clearly you can see it in the attached pictures. 

20200620_111907.jpg

20200620_111933.jpg

Working on this and also finding a way to remove ads for supporting members. This ad placement software should "learn" from you, so if you close ads and not interact with them, it will automatically reduce the number of ads it's showing you. That said, we understand this is annoying and thank you all for working with us while we figure this all out.