In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Replace your tiny oil filter if you give yourself “low oil pressure”

Hello everyone  I’m just sharing my experience with my “lower than normal oil pressure” problem

To start out my truck has 190k 2008 5.3 

AFM works great no problems 

So it all started one day in February, 

I was going out to a hunting spot, going up a gravel road/slight hill with around 6” of snow on top of it. 
locked in 4 high just banging rev limiter and near red line to get my self out without getting stuck, 

oil pressure gauge was hitting probably around the “60” mark engine temp got around 220 and tranny 160

so after that on my way home on start up it had around 40psi on the gauge, after briefly warming up ( the oil ) it would rest around 20psi, would barely hit 40psi unless you went WFO or engine was cold. 

Anyways after doing some research I chalked it up to sludge and garbage got up to the oil pressure sensor and the screen due to the extra oil pressure. So I replaced the sensor and the screen. And the results of that was nothing. Still had the same problem. 
than I through the oil pressure Relief valve in the oil pan could be stuck open, ( as I read the relief opens about 60 psi on 4th gen Ls engines to reduce the chances of over oiling damage)

figuring that was the problem there wouldn’t be much I could do about it. But come today, I changed my oil and filter ( ac delco pf68e? I think *of the top of my head* And semi syn 10-30 ) it’s fixed! 
oil pressure is 40+ cold, and still 40psi when warm. 

So in the end CHECK YO OIL FILTER cuz They suck why would gm put such a small filter on it? Hell the oil pan is Deeper than the filter and they could have made a longer filter, I assume it’s gm being cheap and re-using oil filter designs from different platforms. 
Any one know a bigger oil filter? Or at least longer? 
or I’m gonna get creative and find a way to make one of my PH8A filters from my stock pile to work. 

5ED03F41-6FB4-4531-8C2C-8EFD55711518.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 08SuperSierra said:

Hello everyone  I’m just sharing my experience with my “lower than normal oil pressure” problem

So it all started one day in February, 

I was going out to a hunting spot, going up a gravel road/slight hill with around 6” of snow on top of it. 
locked in 4 high just banging rev limiter and near red line to get my self out without getting stuck, 

oil pressure gauge was hitting probably around the “60” mark engine temp got around 220 and tranny 160

so after that on my way home on start up it had around 40psi on the gauge, after briefly warming up ( the oil ) it would rest around 20psi, would barely hit 40psi unless you went WFO or engine was cold. 

Anyways after doing some research I chalked it up to sludge and garbage got up to the oil pressure sensor and the screen due to the extra oil pressure. So I replaced the sensor and the screen. And the results of that was nothing. Still had the same problem. 
than I through the oil pressure Relief valve in the oil pan could be stuck open, ( as I read the relief opens about 60 psi on 4th gen Ls engines to reduce the chances of over oiling damage)

figuring that was the problem there wouldn’t be much I could do about it. But come today, I changed my oil and filter ( ac delco pf68e? I think *of the top of my head* And semi syn 10-30 ) it’s fixed! 
oil pressure is 40+ cold, and still 40psi when warm. 

So in the end CHECK YO OIL FILTER cuz They suck why would gm put such a small filter on it? Hell the oil pan is Deeper than the filter and they could have made a longer filter, I assume it’s gm being cheap and re-using oil filter designs from different platforms. 
Any one know a bigger oil filter? Or at least longer? 
or I’m gonna get creative and find a way to make one of my PH8A filters from my stock pile to work. 

It has nothing to do with the size.  PF-48E or UPF-48R are the correct filters for your truck.  Don't use aftermarket ones.   

#PIP5276F: SES Lamp P0521 Setting After An Oil Change And Or Low Oil Pressure Indicated On The Instrument Panel - (Mar 1, 2016)
Subject:  SES Lamp P0521 Setting After An Oil Change And Or Low Oil Pressure Indicated On The Instrument Panel

999999995.gif
Models:  2007-2013 Cadillac CTS-V, Escalade
2007-2013 Chevrolet Avalanche, Camaro SS, Colorado, Corvette, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2013 GMC Canyon, Sierra, Savana, Yukon
with a V8 Engine (RPOs L20, L77, L94, L96, L99, L9H, LC8, LC9, LH9, LMF, LMG, LY6, LZ1)

This PI was superseded to update Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIP5276E.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may complain of a SES light or low oil pressure indicated on the instrument panel cluster with DTC P0521 stored.  In some cases, this may have started shortly after an oil change.

Recommendation/Instructions

If you are working on a Gen4 V8 that is setting a DTC P0521 and/or has low oil pressure indicated on the instrument panel in cold or hot weather and the engine is currently equipped with a PF48E oil filter, determine if the engine has been properly repaired and cleaned following the procedure used in the latest version of bulletin 10-06-01-008.

If not, please update the engine with the components outlined in the bulletin.

If it has been properly repaired and cleaned, inspect the left rocker cover (square baffle) and verify that the baffles can hold water and do not leak.

If any leaks are found, clean and seal the edge of the baffle with RTV if possible or replace the valve cover.

Thoroughly clean and dry the valve cover before installation and/or resealing.

Change the engine oil and replace the oil filter using a PF48E type filter.

Parts Information

Refer to the electronic parts catalog and/or latest version of 10-06-01-008 for the appropriate part numbers.

Warranty Information

The correction for this concern may be one of several repairs described above.  For vehicles repaired under warranty, please use the appropriate warranty labor operation based on the actual cause and repair.

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, 08SuperSierra said:

Is this an iron block motor or aluminum?  As stated previously, the PF48 is the original size for a Gen IV LS engine.  I run the longer PF63 but not ACDelco, K&N which flows better and filters down smaller particals.

My oil pressure is lower when the oil is old.  My oil pressure was lower using Mobil 1 M1-212 filter versus the K&N.  K&N has a 1" nut to make removal easy peasy too.

My oil pressure is lower than yours, it has an all aluminum engine.  Pump is made for more volume, less pressure.

The only Chevy shipped with a smaller oil filter that requires replacement with a larger filter is the Traverse.The shorter filter has less filter media than the larger replacement but the same specs for the bypass valve. And the ONLY reason the shorter filter is shipped stock on the Traverse is to provide clearance during assembly and shoehorn the V6 drive train assembly into the engine compartment. Attached photo shows the factory PF48 filter labeled as replace with PF63 next to the replacement PF63.....evidently no problem in substituting a  PF63 in place of a PF48 if there is sufficient clearance for the install.

13 hours ago, Thomcat said:

The only Chevy shipped with a smaller oil filter that requires replacement with a larger filter is the Traverse.The shorter filter has less filter media than the larger replacement but the same specs for the bypass valve. And the ONLY reason the shorter filter is shipped stock on the Traverse is to provide clearance during assembly and shoehorn the V6 drive train assembly into the engine compartment. Attached photo shows the factory PF48 filter labeled as replace with PF63 next to the replacement PF63.....evidently no problem in substituting a  PF63 in place of a PF48 if there is sufficient clearance for the install.

PF-48 and PF-63 don't have the same bypass specs.  PF-48 is 15psi, PF-63 is 22psi.  PF-48 has no "tall can" direct replacement.  PF-48/PF-48E/UPF-48R are all the variants of the PF-48. 

PF-63 and PF-64 share specs but the PF-64 is a shorter can.  The PF-64 is the short can used for packaging during assembly on the High Feature V6 engines found on Traverse/Captiva/Acadia/Enclave and more.       

#17-NA-157: Information on Spin-On Oil Filter Replacement for Gas Engines Designed with New Oil Pump Control Systems - (Jul 13, 2018)
Subject:  Information on Spin-On Oil Filter Replacement for Gas Engines Designed with New Oil Pump Control Systems

999999995.gif

Brand:

Model:

Model Year:

VIN:

Engine:

Transmission:

from

to

from

to

Buick

All GM Passenger Cars and Trucks

L3A, L83, L86, L8B, L96, LC8, LCV, LE2, LEA, LF3, LF4, LFR, LFV, LFX, LGW, LGX, LHN. LKW, LLT, LT1, LT4, LTG, LV1, LV3, LV7, LYX

Cadillac

Chevrolet

GMC

Involved Region or Country

North America and N.A. Export Regions

Information

Today's engine has very tight tolerances, two stage oil pumps and high flow lubrication system requirements. The proper match of oil filter to engine application is more important than it has ever been in the past. The use of a replacement oil filter with an internal bypass valve opening pressure specifications of 15 PSI (100 kPa) or less, allows debris to circulate in the engine causing damage to bearings and other tight tolerances areas, which may result in premature engine failure.

The oil pressure was increased to accommodate these tighter tolerances. As a result, the oil filter specifications of the production oil filter and the service oil filter were also improved to meet the new engine requirements.

Beginning in 2012, the oil pumps began to regulate main gallery feedback instead of pump out pressure. This means that the oil pump now does not begin to regulate until pressure is built up to the main gallery. This change reduces the amount of time it takes to provide oil to the engine bearing and lifters during extreme cold start conditions.

Main gallery feedback oil pump control systems are present on the following engine families which use Spin-on oil filters: Small Gas Engine (SGE), Large Gas Engine (LGE), High Feature (HFV6) Gen2 and Small Block Gen5 gasoline engines. These engines with the main gallery feedback oil pump control systems are factory built with ACDelco® oil filters.

Important: The PF64 and PF63, which is commonly confused by many in the automobile service industry as an ACDelco® PF48 and/or PF48E, because both oil filters have a similar appearance and are very close in oil can size. However, these oil filters are not the same size and also have different internal bypass valve opening pressure specifications (PF48/PF48E = 15 PSI (100 kPa), PF64/PF63E = 22 PSI (150 kPa).

Note: Any aftermarket filter must also have an internal bypass valve opening pressure specification, element integrity, filtration performance, media particle trap specification and burst strength that is equivalent to the ACDelco PF64/PF63E filters.

Parts Information

Refer to the Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) to determine the proper part numbers for the replacement oil filter with an internal bypass valve opening pressure specifications of 150 kPa and features that are equivalent to the ACDelco

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Bob2C said:

Anyone have experience with UPF63R? I believe the corvettes use them.

Corvette uses the PF-64 and can use the UPF-64R.  The PF-63E that your Suburban uses can be substituted with the UPF-63R.  The UPF-R filters have a higher burst rated can, higher quality filter media and a metal core instead of the plastic core like the PF-63E.    

Edited by newdude

So I use WIX filters on my vehicles and was curious to double check their specs. The equivalent to the 48/48E is the 57060, which apparently has a 12psi bypass. Is this inadequate according to above? I see the L96 mentioned in your post Newdude. Are they saying to use the updated PF63 or 64 filters now? I also have an LS3 car that uses the same 57060.

18 hours ago, 08SuperSierra said:

Not possible, judging by some people's posts and rationing on here if you don't have a range or it tuned out you should have been through 4 sets of failed lifters and getting ready for a full on engine failure as AFM doesn't work right, makes the vehicle less dependable and doesn't save any gas, blasphemy! 

15 hours ago, swathdiver said:

K&N which flows better and filters down smaller particals.

Would love to hear how that works. Flow almost always equals larger openings while filtering fine particles is almost always small openings. Is there some type of magic webbing in there that allows it to catch small particles with larger openings or small openings that allow the oil to flow freely? Does it require to be cleaned and sprayed with oil prior to use? Over the years I have learned to be weary of K&N claims...

Tyler

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

Not possible, judging by some people's posts and rationing on here if you don't have a range or it tuned out you should have been through 4 sets of failed lifters and getting ready for a full on engine failure as AFM doesn't work right, makes the vehicle less dependable and doesn't save any gas, blasphemy! 

Would love to hear how that works. Flow almost always equals larger openings while filtering fine particles is almost always small openings. Is there some type of magic webbing in there that allows it to catch small particles with larger openings or small openings that allow the oil to flow freely? Does it require to be cleaned and sprayed with oil prior to use? Over the years I have learned to be weary of K&N claims...

Tyler

Maybe they use a higher quality filtering media?  Would they have been sued already had they made a claim that was patently false or even prosecuted by Uncle Sam?    

SIZE DOESN'T MATTER.  If it did, most of y'all wouldn't have any female seatcovers.  :rollin:  

Use the right part number as specified for the application!  To include full-synthetic oil of the proper viscosity and quantity on AFM models.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

Not possible, if you don't have a range or it tuned out you should have been through 4 sets of failed lifters.

Maybe it has had the lifters replaced once twice maybe five times already but I don’t know that. 
I bought the truck from a ford dealer and the there was nothing on the car fax/ paperwork that was in the glovebox other than accidents yes that’s plural, ( a 4 time hitter) < that’s a funny story, and basic maintenance. 
Afm has not been tuned out as it still goes into v4 on the dash and there is a auditable exhaust note change. 

no Signs of failure as it doesn’t click or clack on startup, no useage of oil or misfires. 
my biggest complainant on the AFM that when it does switch into v4 and you do not cruise on your speed will decreases because the truck isn’t making as much power. Example, going a flat 60 in v8 mode, it switches to v4 and now with the pedal in the same spot your only doing 56 Mph in a near matter of seconds. You than slightly Accelerate To get back to speed at its back into v8, just annoying

I've looked into the Range disablers I just haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet.    

On 5/6/2020 at 9:39 AM, carkhz316 said:

So I use WIX filters on my vehicles and was curious to double check their specs. The equivalent to the 48/48E is the 57060, which apparently has a 12psi bypass. Is this inadequate according to above? I see the L96 mentioned in your post Newdude. Are they saying to use the updated PF63 or 64 filters now? I also have an LS3 car that uses the same 57060.

If it calls for a PF-48, use a PF-48.  If it calls for a PF-63, use a PF-63.  

• Like 1