In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Slimsalabim

New Member Just Bought a Vtrux

It's really frustrating because I was in contact with them late last week, they gave me a few things to check, and the tech assigned to my truck emailed me yesterday morning but I haven't heard from them since. I signed up for the "Via service portal" login back when I bought the truck in late June so I could access the service manuals, but they still haven't approved my sign-up. 

I ran the first 40 miles on electric motor then the generator kicked in and I drove the rest of the way on generator. I actually wasn't even aware I could manually switch to the generator until I found this post. That's really good to know. 

I saw you mentioned your coupler is loud at low speeds, mine is too. Generally between 5-20 mph when I'm running on generator. Were you ever able to get that fixed? The dealership I bought the truck from said they contacted Via about it and were quoted like $250 for the part, but I don't know how involved it would be to swap it out or if a new coupler would even solve the problem. It seems to work fine, but it is loud.

It's really frustrating because I was in contact with them late last week, they gave me a few things to check, and the tech assigned to my truck emailed me yesterday morning but I haven't heard from them since. I signed up for the "Via service portal" login back when I bought the truck in late June so I could access the service manuals, but they still haven't approved my sign-up. 

I ran the first 40 miles on electric motor then the generator kicked in and I drove the rest of the way on generator. I actually wasn't even aware I could manually switch to the generator until I found this post. That's really good to know. 

I saw you mentioned your coupler is loud at low speeds, mine is too. Generally between 5-20 mph when I'm running on generator. Were you ever able to get that fixed? The dealership I bought the truck from said they contacted Via about it and were quoted like $250 for the part, but I don't know how involved it would be to swap it out or if a new coupler would even solve the problem. It seems to work fine, but it is loud.
At least you got some feedback. What did you check so far? Sounds like it could just be a loose wire honestly. I talked with another Vtrux owner who had a coolant pump (for the batteries) that failed. He found that there was a broken wire to the pump and repaired it without issue.

That coupler will always be loud. It's basically a dry clutch and the noise is part of the design. Ducati motorcycles have a dry clutch and their noise is part of the charm I guess (a neighbor noted the similarity to the noise my Vtrux makes).

I never get that kind of mileage running just the engine. Maybe 15mpg. I wonder what the difference is?

Slim

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Slimsalabim said:

At least you got some feedback. What did you check so far? Sounds like it could just be a loose wire honestly. I talked with another Vtrux owner who had a coolant pump (for the batteries) that failed. He found that there was a broken wire to the pump and repaired it without issue.

That coupler will always be loud. It's basically a dry clutch and the noise is part of the design. Ducati motorcycles have a dry clutch and their noise is part of the charm I guess (a neighbor noted the similarity to the noise my Vtrux makes).

I never get that kind of mileage running just the engine. Maybe 15mpg. I wonder what the difference is?

Slim

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

All they really had me check were fluid levels, ATF and coolant. They said 90% of the problems that happen with these trucks are from low fluid levels. I was just a bit low on both, so I added fluid but the problems persist. I hooked up my scanner and the only code it's throwing is U0101 Lost Communication with TCM. My Via tech said these trucks don't have a TCM though, so that code pops up randomly because there's no TCM to communicate with. So I'm back to thinking it's an ignition problem. That's the only thing that really makes sense to me, that the ignition is losing contact while driving and shuts everything down and cycling the key helps start it back up again.

As for mileage, I didn't pay too close of attention to it so my numbers might be off. I was thinking it was somewhere between 22-23 mpg. I had to stop 4 times for gas both ways because the tank is so small. I did baby the truck on the highway the whole way, seemed like 70-72 mph was the sweet spot and anything over that went through gas much more noticeably. I was also driving from Texas to Iowa, so weather and temps were pretty nice the whole way and lots of flat road without hills.