Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Recommended Posts

2017 Silverado! My ac today hasn’t be Ice cold like usual. It blows just cool air. I have 40,000 on the truck. I turned it to hot and it gets hot as hell like it should but when I turn it to lo or 60 it doesn’t get there like it should. What could this be or mean?

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Jmiller11331 said:

 

2017 Silverado! My ac today hasn’t be Ice cold like usual. It blows just cool air. I have 40,000 on the truck. I turned it to hot and it gets hot as hell like it should but when I turn it to lo or 60 it doesn’t get there like it should. What could this be or mean?

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Bad AC condenser. 

It probably has cracked and is leaking Freon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Bad AC condenser. 
It probably has cracked and is leaking Freon. 

Thanks for replying! Didn’t GM have issues with the condenser? How much would something like that cost?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jmiller11331 said:


Thanks for replying! Didn’t GM have issues with the condenser? How much would something like that cost?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are very welcome.

 

There are extended special warranties for certain model years, would check with your dealer to see if you qualify. And yes this has been a problem for GM.

 

Thinking right around $1000.00 by what I have seen on the site.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Jmiller11331 said:

Ok thank you! Anything else I should know so I don’t get screwed?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think it is a good place to start, that was the problem in our 16 Tahoe, and we did get it fixed for free under the newly introduced warranty. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jmiller11331 said:

Ok thank you! Anything else I should know so I don’t get screwed?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had my condenser go out, 2014 120K on it, 850 from a local shop, Honestly probably a lot cheaper to do yourself, mine was replaced with a warranty that's why it went to a shop, seen a few youtube videos about how to replace it yourself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Think it is a good place to start, that was the problem in our 16 Tahoe, and we did get it fixed for free under the newly introduced warranty. 

Unfortunately I don’t think that “extended” warranty goes for the silverados and Sierras! Maybe I’m wrong tho


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites

Testing the pressures of the AC system is smarter step first than just going straight towards replacing the parts. Any shop that is worth a damn would be hooking up gauges to make sure it's within spec first.

 

Also if you live in a very dusty climate or things like that you could have lots of dirt/dust build up in the fins of the condenser and radiator. That won't allow it to cool properly.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So my ac started hissing so I shut it off immediately! I was told by the dealer that meant that it was low on freon. I also was told that if I turned it on again, the fans behind the condenser wouldn’t be spinning which is a safety feature for other parts to not burn out. I’m going to be taking it to the dealer on Wednesday because they said if it’s not a simple fix they would contact GM for some sort of relief or program to help offset costs...I hope it’s a simple fix


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2020 at 4:09 PM, JimCost2014 said:

Bad AC condenser. 

It probably has cracked and is leaking Freon. 

My '14 with 50k miles just did the same thing. Took it into the dealer and had them check it out during an oil change. Cracked condenser leaking all the freon out. $1300 all in to fix at Chevy dealer, but they can't get the condenser right now anyways, so I'm stuck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
My '14 with 50k miles just did the same thing. Took it into the dealer and had them check it out during an oil change. Cracked condenser leaking all the freon out. $1300 all in to fix at Chevy dealer, but they can't get the condenser right now anyways, so I'm stuck!

Oh no......


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bowhunt24 said:

My '14 with 50k miles just did the same thing. Took it into the dealer and had them check it out during an oil change. Cracked condenser leaking all the freon out. $1300 all in to fix at Chevy dealer, but they can't get the condenser right now anyways, so I'm stuck!

Mention this to your dealer:

 

Special Coverage Adjustment 17336 Air Conditioning Condenser (Combi-Cooler) Refrigerant Leak 
 
 
Copyright 2017 General Motors.  All Rights Reserved. Page 1 of 7 
 
Reference Number: N162080780 Release Date: July 2018   Revision: 04  Revision Description: This bulletin has been revised to include a labor time increase in the warranty information section and to remove the locally obtained parts information in the parts section. Please discard all copies of 17336-03. Attention

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JimCost2014 said:

Mention this to your dealer:

 

Special Coverage Adjustment 17336 Air Conditioning Condenser (Combi-Cooler) Refrigerant Leak 
 
 
Copyright 2017 General Motors.  All Rights Reserved. Page 1 of 7 
 
Reference Number: N162080780 Release Date: July 2018   Revision: 04  Revision Description: This bulletin has been revised to include a labor time increase in the warranty information section and to remove the locally obtained parts information in the parts section. Please discard all copies of 17336-03. Attention

I e-mailed this to the technician I work with and he didn't seem to care. Doesn't this technically exclude Silverados? Has anyone had any luck getting this repaired at no cost when out of original warranty?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bowhunt24 said:

I e-mailed this to the technician I work with and he didn't seem to care. Doesn't this technically exclude Silverados? Has anyone had any luck getting this repaired at no cost when out of original warranty?

I have always been a frim believer is someone does not want my business, or just to busy for me, I will find someone who does.

 

You are free to take your truck to any Chevy lot you want too, call around and see who will at least try to help you.

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.