Question about propane fueled topkick

Hello all,

im looking at an 03 topkick that has the 8.1L with the propane fuel conversion. The problem is, the guy ran it out of fuel and just wants it gone.  Does anyone know how I can get it to start to hear it run? Im not sure if I can hook up a regular propane tank to it in order to hear it run or if i could still start it by pouring a little gas in the cylinders? If I have to tow it after purchase to a fuel station, thats fine, I just need to hear it start up to ensure that the engine is good.

thanks!

When I had a propane car, I had a adapter hose (likely completely illegal) for connecting a regular 20lb propane tank to a vehicle propane fill port, hook it up, turn the propane tank upside down (so you transfer liquid propane and not just vapors), wait a little bit, disconnect everything, and it was good to go again.

Pouring gas in the intake, or starter spray might get the truck going, could also not work or even damage the engine (if you put in too much).

If you really want to make sure it runs, I would suggest hiring getting a propane remote fill truck to add some propane to it (probably won't be cheap).  Should be readily available, as that would be the main way to get the vehicle going again when they are run out of fuel...

Thanks for the reply, Davester. Would you have any idea where to get one of those adapter hoses or if there are any special fittings?  as I said, just to start it up and idle for a minute or so. The problem with having a truck come out there is its about an hour and a half away from me, and then the nearest propane distributor is about 30-40 minutes from him from what im seeing. If I can get it to start ill happily have it towed the 30-40 min trip so i can fill it up.

The fitting for the 20lb propane tank should be fairly easily found, but I don't know where you'd find the vehicle fill adapter.  Really, just pay someone to go out there and add some fuel to it.  It's just the cost of finding out if the truck is decent.