Replaced cabin filter now the fan hums?

I replaced the cabin filter last week (holy crap there was so much l debri in there with 60k miles)

now my fan hums. I dont doubt something got sucked into the fan. How on earth am I going to clear out the debri? 

almost sounds like a leaf is caught in the impeller and causing it to be slightly out of balance. Not sure how accessible that is. Not sure if it’s worth waiting until it decomposes, which could be a really really long time in a non damp environment.

Side note, also replaced my engine air filter, do it if you have near 50k miles. I shined a flashlight through it, and the new one had like 10x as much light shining through.

Edited by truckguy82

Very common, debris fell into blower motor  cage,You can try blowing compressed air into blower cage, if that doesn't work the blower motor will have to be removed and the cage will have to be cleaned. We see this all the time with do-it yourselfers and jiffy lube places changing the cabin filters without making sure that stuff doesn't fall inside when they pull the filters out.

Very common, debris fell into blower motor  cage,You can try blowing compressed air into blower cage, if that doesn't work the blower motor will have to be removed and the cage will have to be cleaned. We see this all the time with do-it yourselfers and jiffy lube places changing the cabin filters without making sure that stuff doesn't fall inside when they pull the filters out.

What do you recommend for making sure debris doesn’t fall down? I’m about to have to change mine for the first time.

To clean out something that fell, try a vacuum hack along the lines of this (duct tape helps seal it better):

image.png.23686ffdc49528240846d783d29baf12.png

To prevent stuff from falling when you're taking the filter out, get one of those card stock manila file folders, trace the new filter on it, and cut out a piece you can slide underneath the old filter. Ideally, you should have excess file folder coming out of the vent towards you so you can hold it still and catch as much of the dirt falling down as possible.

Edited by Mileguru
  • Like 1

I use a piece of thin corrugated cardboard. It's better if it has a bit of rigidity. It also needs to stick out from the entrance by 2-3 inches. Slide cardboard under filter, until it hits the back of the housing. Pull filter out while holding cardboard in place. Then carefully remove cardboard, ensuring that no debris falls into housing. There can be quite a bit of debris on the cardboard. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so here is how you clean it.

it’s super simple, but I had a helluva time getting one of the screws out.

total is 7 screws.

You need to take off the big trim piece right below the glove box. There are (4) screws, you need a 7mm deep well socket.

they you have access to the bottom of the blower motor. Unplug the wire from the blower motor. Then remove (3) t15 torx screws. Then blower motor drops right out.

Pictures attached of the panel and blower motor.

25F3EBC7-98FF-48EA-AE96-83CD1F3F2972.jpeg

53B87E8C-3F0E-41F2-8AD4-F847CAA71F96.jpeg

98067806-0AA6-484A-B779-246DE035BFFE.jpeg