Can I add/retrofit Adaptive Cruise Control to my 2019 Sierra 1500?

Wondering if it is possible to add adaptive cruise to my 2019 Sierra (it is loaded with all safety features front crash, cross traffic, following distance, etc.)  It this  just a different module I  can install, or is this simply too complex to do?

All input is welcome.  Thanks!!

Wondering if it is possible to add adaptive cruise to my 2019 Sierra (it is loaded with all safety features front crash, cross traffic, following distance, etc.)  It this  just a different module I  can install, or is this simply too complex to do?

My understanding is that all module 2 module communication is encrypted with unbreakable code

so it looks like I'm this generation you will not be able to add any modules from higher models.

That being said me just poking around it appears that every model has the same wiring harness.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

On 5/14/2020 at 11:11 AM, Mike Travis said:

I'm with you.  I wish this was possible as I have every option in my 2019 Denali, except for this.  Guess this is what I get for buying the first year of a model change.

• Like 1

I have the dealer researching this for me since I was not able to get any useful information from GM on the question.  I will share what I learn here.

I had a loaner with this feature for the last month, and it works really great.  No need to keep shutting it off when some jumps in front of you and slows down; the system just slows to match their speed and then speeds back up to your setting when the path is clear.  Really nice feature to have if you do a lot of freeway driving like me.

I have the dealer researching this for me since I was not able to get any useful information from GM on the question.  I will share what I learn here.

I had a loaner with this feature for the last month, and it works really great.  No need to keep shutting it off when some jumps in front of you and slows down; the system just slows to match their speed and then speeds back up to your setting when the path is clear.  Really nice feature to have if you do a lot of freeway driving like me.
All right so originally this model was actually never going to have adaptive cruise control that's also why the HD doesnt have it. GM decided to add it very late in the development phase that's why it's based on a camera not on lasers or other radars.

Thanks for the comment topgear.  I was thinking that it used the radar for the following distance warning and the front crash auto breaking, which mine has both of those features.  It may not be possible if they added a seperate camera or laser just for this.  I will share what their answer is regardless.

Thanks for the comment topgear.  I was thinking that it used the radar for the following distance warning and the front crash auto breaking, which mine has both of those features.  It may not be possible if they added a seperate camera or laser just for this.  I will share what their answer is regardless.

On the models with adaptive cruise there is only 1 camera, the same single camera location used for the enhanced safety features in my 2019 Sierra Denali.  

I had a loaner 2020 AT4 with adaptive cruise. Only difference I could physically see was a different part number on the camera.

My 2019 Sierra Denali camera:

4f01d3e9ba577fe6ee94de76188a14a3.jpg

2020 AT4 Loaner truck camera (with adaptive cruise) :

370bd1efc3dae7aae7e68df994a86877.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding, very limited, is that it uses the camera for primary recognition and then it taps into the other sensors such as the following distance sensors to check its self. but notice how your following distance sensor doesn't really lock on to a vehicle until it's kind of close? That's way too close for adaptive use. imagine you're doing 80 miles an hour in the left lane and a car pulls out at 45 4.5 seconds isn't really enough for the truck to understand, interpret and apply the brakes in a way that doesn't give you whiplash.

GMs most recent generation of truck for both heavy duty and light-duty were both rushed to market a bit earlier then ideal. but at least they didn't cop out and pull a ram where they spent an entire redesign Budget on just redoing an interior and putting it on an old chassis with slight modifications.

Owned 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 4X4 it was clear that vehicle was rushed especially in its dynamics. had a nice interior the issue is when you have that nice of interior Small things become a very big problem such as slight defects and panel gaps. wind noise was also unbefitting of the truck they really should have given it double glazed windows. and weird things like it has a drawer on the bench seat model that wiggles. things that you normally wouldn't care about in the pickup truck but when you have that nice of interior, you expect it all to be nice and the fact is the Rams simply isn't good enough to make up for its dynamic shortcomings.

My understanding, very limited, is that it uses the camera for primary recognition and then it taps into the other sensors such as the following distance sensors to check its self...

The description of the adaptive cruise control on the 2020 GMC Sierra’s is “Adaptive Cruise Control-Camera”, which means it doesn’t not contain or use a radar, only the camera.

In contrast, my 2019 GMC Yukon Denali does have a camera and a radar module based adaptive cruise and is described as “Adaptive Cruise Control-Advanced” which means it uses both the camera and the radar (advanced).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

My dealer tech that works on these says it is not possible to add this to my truck - too many expensive things to add/change and program.  There are new steering wheel controls, dash indicators, error reporting modules, etc.  Guess I will have to wait until the next truck.   Thanks to all posters for the great comments and content!

Mike